New Raspberry PI 4

Hi Marcus,

seems to look the same as mine from Reichelt.The problem with the case is that it can cause short circuits if you are not careful. At least I think that’s what happened to me. When I order the next one, I will insulate some of the inner surfaces with transparent adhesive foil as a precaution.

How to get this block into the case? I have no idea… Maybe with enough power and a hammer? :smile:

Also a problem: How to mount the Hifiberry on top?

Regards, Holger

1 Like

I am going to order this

https://www.voelkner.de/products/408991/TOOLCRAFT-134753-Gewindestange-M2.5-1000mm-Stahl-galvanisch-verzinkt-1St..html?offer=0aa3c7cce28b18a4eb10177c389406bd

and replace the screws.

I am not stacking it anyways but using a bus…

1 Like

I am running the Zynthian now for hours and the temperature stays at 54°C.
I wasn’t playing it but did some development.

2 Likes

Development?
:star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

Nah, Just bugfixing. Which needs your merge btw.

1 Like

Oh, please get these things sorted, I have the Bechstein DG, too…

I am stuck in my Raspberry Pi 4 build for now. I bought the Joy-It armor heat spreader case @C0d3man posted a picture of, but I have no clue about building a new case around it…
It would be nice if the new zynthian case bottom for the model 4 would let me keep these metal blocks in side, maybe with a good fanless cooling concept if temperatures let me use it fanless…

Greetings and God bless, Marius

OK! Bechstein PR is merged and problem it’s solved now.

Regards,

I got a rpi 4 1GiB and it’s :heart: :heart: :heart: I’ve not properly put it in the case and it has no heatsinks at all but it seems to work ok. I need to file out those v2 case holes. I loaded in the Salamander Grand and that seems to work fine too. Although I know that LinuxSampler can stream samples from the disk.

1 Like

My PD patch recently hit the limit of my Zynthian hardware, so I’m looking at a Pi4 solution. I’m not really a strong hardware guy, so hoping there’s some kind of Zynthian solution available soon - even if it’s an upgrade kit for the Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3 that I currently have.

Any news on availability?

Thanks!

The basic power of the zynth comes out of the pi so as you say an upgrade to Pi4 is where it’s bound. The hardware ( basically the zynth case) is presumably what you mean. I’m sure you are aware of the various hacksaw/file/dreme;/ aluminium chewing wombat options that have been employed.
I don’t know anything about progress but from experience I expect much is going on in this regard. You only have to look at the discussions on Pi4 heat to sense where things are heading. I’m pretty sure the results will appear as soon as they can. Obviously this is not much help directly, and I’m waiting as well. I don’t have a Pi4 yet because.
1/ my bloody kids didn’t respond to ANY of the various hints . . . ( they will suffer… :-))
2/ I’ve got a lot of Pi3 stuff that actually addressed most of my concerns fairly directly.

The Pi4 is satisfying a lot of people already, but it seems sensible to mount it properly. I have probably done a fair bit with the Pi3 and I don’t have too many doubts about the transition.

Hang around. Things get done around here quickly!

Hope this helps.

Ok. Thanks.

It would be great to have pd 0.49 that comes default with buster as well. 0.47.1 is the current Zynthian image default, and does not have the binary inter-process communication that came with 0.48. That helps as you start to break sections of your patches out to sub-processes running on other cores using the [pd~] utility…

https://puredata.info/downloads/pure-data/releases/0.48-0

Cheers

I have a fairly involved rig of multiple zynths linked over Ethernet and it’s surprising how far this gets for interesting use.

Yep. My Mach 1 patch involves a lot of left + right stereo duplication (with subtle differences), and I’ve toyed with the idea of having two pi’s, especially since I’ve considered 5.1 and the like. For now though, this rig is for bands that play in pubs, and I want to keep it portable and cheap. A better pi seems optimal.

1 Like

Just got my Pi4 the other day. Tested it for a few hours so it’s ready for the case mods. I think I’ll go with the wombat option. There’s a wombat rental service here in town. I think the aluminum chewing wombats cost more though.

2 Likes

A nice way to run thermal tests on the Zynthian is to pick a fairly cpu-heavy synth voice and a nice reverb or two or three :slight_smile: and then just loop a MIDI file from the player for an hour or so. You can always use “top” from an SSH session to verify how hard a given voice is on the CPU. I’ll be doing this sort of thermal profiling when I get the Pi 4 installed to make sure I have adequate heat sinking.

Hello to everyone !

I am trying hard to make my RPi 4 zynthian work but still no success to make zynaptik detected in web config so encoders doesn’t work too. The problem is not in the wiring — cable is fine, tried to connect RPi 3 zynthian hardware and all in one module - everything works fine. No problem with MCP23017 chip. MIDI also works just (only MIDI IN is soldered yet).

Custom config is selected, Audioinjector as audio (the solo model works perfect) and MCP23017-Extra.

What it might be, my poor soldering or something else ?

Please suggest - I am stuck… :pensive:

1 Like

I notice you’ve got an ethernet connection with lights on, so presumably you can see the webconf cos you have configured things. . . ?

Have you tried booting up with the Interfacr UI log display …?

selecting debug will generate a lot of information about what is going on which should be helpful.

Also the traditional mechanism of logging in with Putty,
stopping the zynth process if its running
( systemctl stop zynthian ) ,
changing to the zynthian -ui directory
(cd /zynthian/zynthian-ui/)
and then running the GUI from the command line
(python3 zynthian-gui.py)

will also tell you a lot of whats going on. . . .
cut and paste the output of either of these and we can work from that. . .

@wyleu - thanks a lot - will try it tomorrow. Web ui and putty are running with no problems so I guess there will be some output log to debug. Using external HDMI for main interface.

Was never a fan of straightforward way :slight_smile:

journalctl -flu zynthian will get you much the same stuff wont it? Without having to stop the service.

1 Like

Yes. But often a zynth under systemctl particularly with Jack problems reboots so you can watch a lot of stuff disappearing off the screen.
the python way has one go then gives up leaving the error message on the screen. And also my old brain hasn’t learnt the journalctl options yet althou as a unixy type I’ve spent many an hour watching - f on a log file… :smiley: