New UI Main menu: 1 step backward & 2 steps forward

I agree.
IT’s about acknowledgement of event.
If one fell against it, would it indicate the state? At present it doesn’t; in a timed world it does . . .

The real development is the declaration of the encoder switch as a displayed state :-D,
The visual confirmation is very strong, and it tells you very quickly if your GUI is alive.

Hi @zynthianers!

Regarding the dicussion about this:

I just changed the zyncoder switches behaviour so long pushes will be detected before release, as @riban-bw has proposed. I don’t consider adding GUI feedback for bold/short pushes because they are too fast and eyes too slow. But … i added some config vars for allowing to adjust the timing values:

• ZYNTHIAN_SWITCH_LONG_US
  • ZYNTHIAN_SWITCH_BOLD_US

It should be added to webconf UI’s adjustments tab :wink:

Just update and enjoy!

Regards

1 Like

Having applied the same patch to zyncoder_i2c it now works as described. I tried to trigger PANIC (all notes off) and it is a bit awkward. Imagine you are on stage and your Zynthian has decided it will get stuck playing a loud note over your prima donna guitarist’s solo - you are getting glared at by him whilst the crowd roar with laughter. You are getting hot under the collar (because you love Kraftwerk and always wear a collared shirt on stage). You press and hold the button on your Zynthian and try to remember how long before you need to release… no too fast… try again. No too slow… when will I get out of this hell-hole and where have I ended up in my menu system. What changes have I made to my setup and will I be playing french horn instead of grand piano in the next section…

Or to put it another way, maybe it would make sense to have the long press trigger the panic mode rather than bold press.

1 Like

and the label?
“Bold switch activation in microseconds”?
after
“Panel Background Color”?

Hi,
hi, the new menu structure works very well, I like it. But, there seems to be a problem when I let presets load automatically at startup ([x] preset preload).

Right after startup, I am in “layers” menu. Pressing back once, brings me to “main” menu, second press leads to nowhere. After that you can only pull the power plug to bring it back to life. And it’s probably not due to corona… it is switched off as you can judge by its unlit power led… no infection… :smile:

regards, hal.

Curious. Do you have a last state snapshot? Could you send it?
What SD image are you using?

Please, when reporting a bug, here or in the tracker, give all the details for reproducing it. Think that it’s really difficult to solve a problem that you can’t reproduce. It’s a lot more efficient if you include all the required info in the initial report :wink:

Regards!

Ideally, you would like to have a dedicated button for that … and luckily, you can easily have one if you really need it ;-b

In the other hand, we have limited non-contextual actions in zynthian. Long actions are non contextual and currently we have:

• long layer => ALSA Mixer
  • long back => Admin
  • long snapshot => Recorder
  • long select => Power Off

As you can imagine, every person in this forum will have a proposal for choosing this 4 actions. accordingly to his use-case or personal likes. We have 2 options:

• Allow to configure this 4 actions (non contextual actions are more difficult to define)
  • Reach a consensus

What do you prefer, @zynthianers? :grin:

I like:

• Bold Push Time (us)
  • Long Push Time (us)

And I would put the stuff under meter, as advanced setting (hidden by default). But opinions are accepted and studied, of course … :wink:

Thanks!

I don’t like us, because it is micro and that is μ and not u

But I would need to remove an escape() in config_block.html to achieve that.
What was the reason for the escape around the title?

I doubt anyone will be able to time their button presses to microsecond accuracy, nor indeed millisecond accuracy so why not enter ms value in webconf (or even seconds, allowing fractions, e.g. 2.4s) and scale appropriately. I certainly don’t fancy entering 3000000000 when I want 3s.

Of course you will get as many opinions as there are forum members :wink:. I think the following are useful contextual operations:

• Power Off
  • Panic
  • Return home
  • Recorder

I can see that access to the mixer is also useful but maybe the ability to return to the home screen will mean we have two presses to get to many of our most useful screens.

My preference for button allocation is:

Panic on the Layer button because some of us aspire to having the volume control default to this encoder so it ties in with audio level.

Return home on Back button because it is intuitive to go back to the beginning by long pressing the button that head that way.

Power off on Select button because that is where it has always been.

Record on Learn / Shot because we have run out of options.

I get your point. I was irritated myself when I saw, that it was microseconds…which would be 3000000 “only”, though…

I would change zynthian_gui_config and use ms instead of us, but I don’t know if @jofemodo agrees on that.

Otherwise I had to hack the webconf and change the variable before saving by multiplying with 1000.

@jofemodo, your call

I can’t remember . Try and let’s see if something breaks … :sweat_smile:

OK! Forget it! @riban is right, we should use a select with 3 options:

• fast
  • medium
  • slow

And we should discuse about every value and reach consensus about it … :crazy_face:

Or we use ms … :joy: :upside_down_face:

Regards,

I agree :wink:

I am going to name the vars
ZYNTHIAN_UI_SWITCH_BOLD_MS
ZYNTHIAN_UI_SWITCH_LONG_MS

You are aware, that it will look like that?

the grey tones because of the different advanced settings?
thats why I would put it before meter

Main menu is assigned to bold-back, that is very fast in comparison. I don’t want to wait 2 second for going the Main menu. Also, i prefer having more available actions and not wasting them by assigning to repeated ones.

The assignment of actions to the 12 available push events is a compromise of logic, workflow optimization, ergonomy, ease of learning, elegance and of course, it depends heavily of personal likes and use-case. Reaching a consensus on this is almost impossible …

Anyway, i would change assignation of long non-contextual actions like this:

• Long-Layer => ALSA-Mixer
  • Long-Back => PANIC!
  • Long-Snapshot => Recorder
  • Long-Select => PowerOff

if you promise to send a nice audio track :face_with_monocle: :grin:

Main menu will continue to be assigned to Bold-Back, that is faster. And contextual short-back, will continue to jump from Main to Control, because normally, you want to jump to Main and return quickly to Control. I like the idea of cycling the “main sequence”, and it’s more time-saving.

Regards,

OK! Put it before meter :wink:

Hi @zynthianers!

So, thanks to @riban and @mheidt, we have now:

• Bold & Long Push actions timing is now configurable from webconf
  • Long Action assignment is, finally, like that:
    • Long-Layer => ALSA-Mixer
    • Long-Back => PANIC!
    • Long-Snapshot => Recorder
    • Long-Select => PowerOff

I changed my timings to:

• Bold: 200ms
  • Long: 900ms

And now i manage my zynthian faster than light … jejee!!

Update and Enjoy!