New UI Main menu: 1 step backward & 2 steps forward

Of course you will get as many opinions as there are forum members :wink:. I think the following are useful contextual operations:

• Power Off
  • Panic
  • Return home
  • Recorder

I can see that access to the mixer is also useful but maybe the ability to return to the home screen will mean we have two presses to get to many of our most useful screens.

My preference for button allocation is:

Panic on the Layer button because some of us aspire to having the volume control default to this encoder so it ties in with audio level.

Return home on Back button because it is intuitive to go back to the beginning by long pressing the button that head that way.

Power off on Select button because that is where it has always been.

Record on Learn / Shot because we have run out of options.

I get your point. I was irritated myself when I saw, that it was microseconds…which would be 3000000 “only”, though…

I would change zynthian_gui_config and use ms instead of us, but I don’t know if @jofemodo agrees on that.

Otherwise I had to hack the webconf and change the variable before saving by multiplying with 1000.

@jofemodo, your call

I can’t remember . Try and let’s see if something breaks … :sweat_smile:

OK! Forget it! @riban is right, we should use a select with 3 options:

• fast
  • medium
  • slow

And we should discuse about every value and reach consensus about it … :crazy_face:

Or we use ms … :joy: :upside_down_face:

Regards,

I agree :wink:

I am going to name the vars
ZYNTHIAN_UI_SWITCH_BOLD_MS
ZYNTHIAN_UI_SWITCH_LONG_MS

You are aware, that it will look like that?

the grey tones because of the different advanced settings?
thats why I would put it before meter

Main menu is assigned to bold-back, that is very fast in comparison. I don’t want to wait 2 second for going the Main menu. Also, i prefer having more available actions and not wasting them by assigning to repeated ones.

The assignment of actions to the 12 available push events is a compromise of logic, workflow optimization, ergonomy, ease of learning, elegance and of course, it depends heavily of personal likes and use-case. Reaching a consensus on this is almost impossible …

Anyway, i would change assignation of long non-contextual actions like this:

• Long-Layer => ALSA-Mixer
  • Long-Back => PANIC!
  • Long-Snapshot => Recorder
  • Long-Select => PowerOff

if you promise to send a nice audio track :face_with_monocle: :grin:

Main menu will continue to be assigned to Bold-Back, that is faster. And contextual short-back, will continue to jump from Main to Control, because normally, you want to jump to Main and return quickly to Control. I like the idea of cycling the “main sequence”, and it’s more time-saving.

Regards,

OK! Put it before meter :wink:

Hi @zynthianers!

So, thanks to @riban and @mheidt, we have now:

• Bold & Long Push actions timing is now configurable from webconf
  • Long Action assignment is, finally, like that:
    • Long-Layer => ALSA-Mixer
    • Long-Back => PANIC!
    • Long-Snapshot => Recorder
    • Long-Select => PowerOff

I changed my timings to:

• Bold: 200ms
  • Long: 900ms

And now i manage my zynthian faster than light … jejee!!

Update and Enjoy!

I am trying… if only I can stop finding bugs!!!

Here you go:

A little noodling on the guitar synth driving one of the ZY/Fantasy patches. I can’t remember which as Zynthian crashed when I tried to play it back. (Expect (yet) another bug report…)

2 Likes

The long-back PANIC! is ready … and documentation, updated:

started a new thread on this snapshot related freeze bug that I was observing.

What do you think about the idea of a combined power off / reboot / restart ui menu upon long-select? All knobs could be assigned an action in that menu:
short-back = Back / Cancel
short-select = Power Off
short-snapshot = Restart UI
short-layer = Reboot

2 Likes

I love this idea. I often want to do something like reboot or restart and have to think how to do it.

The mouse functionality doesn’t follow the encoders. It relies on you releasing the mouse button for Long press.

I concur, back button endlessly looping around in a structure feels like one of those mazes in eighties text adventure games. No doubt one will get used to it eventually, but it does break the principle of least atonishment.

Please, think about how you will use it. You want to return to control as fast as posible. You don’t want to make several clicks for that …

I am sceptical but reserve judgement until after I have played with it more. It feels unintuitive but as @jofemodo says, workflow is king.

I’m too much of a newbie with the Zynthian to argue about usage patterns at all (just been toying around and enjoying the lively community). Like I said, one will likely get used to it, but as an initial reaction - it’s quite jarring.