Odin 2 LV2 Synth

Hi everyone!

I just found out that there is a new open source synth on the block that looks quite promising:

It is available as 64Bit VST/AU/LV2 plug in directly, but from source it should be possible to build it for ARM 32, am I right? The code is found here:

Maybe one of the experienced zynthianers could give an opinion how difficult it would be to include Odin 2 in zynthian?

Cheers,
Jaard

6 Likes

I had a quick look at the build, looks like a fiddly build tbh.

Thanks for checking it out! I already suspected it may be more complicated… maybe I will have a look at it at some point, right now my skills aren’t quite there yet I’m afraid. :wink:
Thankfully, there is already a quite impressive synth selection available on Zynthian to play with in the meantime. Yesterday I was really impressed by Surge, too bad its prohibitively ressource hungry for now (with more than 2-3 notes at a time at least).

It’s a fiddly build specifically because the lv2 build expects you to be using the projucer gui, which means you either need to run it over ssh+X11 (a bit fiddly), have an rpi with a desktop setup (a bit fiddly), or cross-compile it (quite a bit fiddly).

Just to make sure I understand correctly, projucer is a development environment that I would need to install on my zynthian and access via SSH/X11. That doesn’t seem so bad… Once the plugin is compiled it wouldn’t require the gui anymore, right? The LV2 exposes all its controls to zynthian, which I assume needs some configuration? Sorry for the dumb questions, never compiled an audio plugin before.

That’s exactly right.

Just bumped into a really good review of this synth

and looked at the github repo, it seems like there’s a makefile now for linux, maybe it’s worth looking at?

Getting more synths into zynthian is something that gives me mixed feelings, as i feel that more is not necessarily better and that we already have an astounding amount of options, Having said that is plugins like this one, that are nicely maintained and somewhat more current, that might attract more users or allow current users to get more out of their devices.

just a quick thought

2 Likes

Raspberry Pi users should indirectly benefit from Apple’s shift to ARM based desktop computer processors, as plugins are optimized to run natively on the new Macs.

KVR: ARM updates galore beta round 01

This is the relevent issue for building odin2 on linux and, by extension, zythian.

1 Like