On-Screen Status Info on Zynthian-UI: CPU-load, MIDI-IN, xrun, undervoltage & overtemperature

Again, this is so helpful! After the update, I also found that “v” is almost constantly lit. Although a “3 A” power supply is connected to the Zynthian. I have exchanged it with the power supply of my Libreelec box (also 3A) and zynthian runs as if he is on dope. :star_struck:
…obviously 3A is not equal to 3A :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

It’s a little bit better for me (RPi3B - no plus!) but it’s nood ass good as “before”. I can’t see any undervoltage flag. I think I will setup the whole system again. Perhaps I have done something I can’t remeber what causes my trouble.

Regards, Holger

I’m looking for 1 Farad capacitor at 20 Volts. . . (quite why I wont settle for 0.47F I don’t know) to see if it will cure the occasional xruns on my pianoteq rig with the Hifiberry amp +.

Actually . . . .

A fairly long hard look at the possibility of driving the hifiberry amp2 device from a Makita battery supply…

All kinds of interesting stuff including a design flaw :smiley:

Here’s someone going the other way . . .

I don’t see any particular problem doing such a thing … Actually, with my “Roland D5-ZYn” i’m thinking about doing a full battery operated machine… there is an awful lot of empty space inside the D5 case :slight_smile:

1 Like

The hifiamp2 with control 1 speakers was 7 kilograms, the LI-Ion batteries are certainty a more attractive proposition from the lugging around point of view!

The nice thing about doing the zynthian amp2 battery thing is you have a transportable off grid grand piano !! :smiley: Which is why the idea of an distributed audio net is interesting because I can finally get an audio in with jack and a hifi berry amp2.
So you can handle a mic as well!
Not bad for a diversion from a “can we see Xruns displayed?” discussion is it?

I hope the xrun issue is power supply related, because I am using the power supply supplied by hifiberry for the amp2 and I’d like to think this wasn’t below our performance threshold. It’s probably as much of a test as we could give it . . . .

Roadies’ problem, not mine. And it could be worse: I could have an original Leslie speaker :rofl::rofl:

But I was thinking of something a little smaller than those JBL speakers… actually an headphone amp. There’s always the little problem that if someone listen my playing, I have to kill him then… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Back to the topic: are you powering the rPI from the amp2? If I see right from the picture, amp2 uses a TPS54232 regulator, that has an output up to 2A, and I don’t see some “beefy” capacitors on the amp. So, you may be slightly underpowering the rPI in some situation.

Hammond organs were most feared . . .

Yep. Seems the most sensible approach. I assume hifiberry have got nicely compressed hifi audio in mind rather than live un-adulterated Steinway D ( wyleu minor’s sulky selection from amongst the piano’s . . . )
The giveaway will be turning down the volume on the zynth ( no mucking around with external PA…) . If it’s power supply there will be a maximum volume (regrettable but acceptable I suppose), whilst if it’s something more pernicious (like I seem to see with the MDA DX10 I’ve now got access to…) then you will see the errors whatever the volume…

I suspect a ‘decent cap’ around the amp might help issues a little, but most Power Amp design of the past forty or so years has been about Power Supply design so perhaps it’s best left as a nice option on the hifiberry amp3 . . .

Much to play with. . .

Not “aroud the amp” but “on the supply lines from amp to rPI”.
Better: power the rPI from a separate (and big enough) power supply. If there is a culprit, I bet my two cents on the regulated voltage out of the amp to be the one.

Yes you are undoubtedly right… I wonder if we could provide pads on an encoder board …? :scream:

Are there steering diodes to allow you to power like this? (from two sources) . Presumably the Hifiberry psu will need to have tracks cut or am I barking up the wrong tree(again?)

Nice question. Without amp and rPI schematics, it can’t be answered for sure.

In the “vanilla” 54232 circuits, there are no protections against a voltage present on the output side. but even if the circuit on the amp was more sophisticated than the basic one, I’ll not try to power the rPI connected to the amp without “cutting” the supply from the amp.

It’s not a certainty, it’s more something about my spider senses tingling… And I always listen to my spider senses…

Remembered zynthian-amp2 has an lcd screen attached!. Chats on hifiberry forum says power this seperately ( which does seem fairly sensible)
See how that affects performance overall.

Sadly a 5v volt supply to generate . . .
The more I think of this, the more I go with the two zynth node solution…

Node to control it with the screen, and Ethernet connected audio render engine.

Sacrifice a spare cell phone charger, for science! :smiley:

It offends my neatness :nauseated_face:

This seems like a good reason to do so… :rofl:

That’s Axeman on the list . . . . .:rage:

So like Jonh before him, this Axe must die…

1 Like

All things lead inevitably to python . . . .

1 Like

And this is sad, because python is one of the most horrible languages I’ve had to use.

And I had to use horrible things like Cobol, Fortran, and Objective C (that I have always called “a worse brainfuck”, even in official mail with Apple… :smiling_imp:)

Sorry for late reply - I was on a business trip.

No, no special optimizations.

I made a fresh installation and now it works without xruns! Don’t ask me why… but now I have a problem with my Pianoteq-Steinberg license (see Pianoteq License Key Activation from Webconf [SOLVED] - #3 by C0d3man).

Regards, Holger

LCD power supply replaced on zynthian-amp2.local, with traditional 2 Amp
Much Less general Xrun on Pianoteq

Well it seems to behave (doesn’t blow up, emit smoke, get hot, from an over-night soak). There is the trick wire from the end pin on the lcd to a power rail ( think it’s the 5V) that needs to be there…

Pianoteq performance is as described by:

Can anyone put a musical style or composer to …

“Just play the lower keys very fast, loud and many.” ?

Yep got it… It’s Magma. . . .

Theusz Hamtaahk Magma…

Don’t get me wrong it’s great nearly all the time but seeing xruns for live is a new stimuli to swallow, I’ve not had them on the old GM fluidsynth Yamaha (which presumably is a little more passive). I don’t seem to get them for MK1 Tremo.
It plays my rubbish piano blues ok and once I hook up ANOTHER psu to power the ui log screen, I’ll be able to be a bit more specific about examples and hopefully upload clean recordings.

I’m going to see if I can get the sulky wyleu enfant to play something reasonably demanding. It may take effort. . .

It just might be the Pi needs more than the 2Amp regulator on the hifiberry amp2 can supply. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Getting back onto the On Screen Status topic, Perhaps we might indicate when the zynthian is recording Audio MIDI or Both? as I’ve just filled zynthian-nord.local with a recording . . . . .