On-Screen Status Info on Zynthian-UI: CPU-load, MIDI-IN, xrun, undervoltage & overtemperature

Just update an enjoy :wink:

4 Likes

Hey, thatā€™s very cool!

Do you think it is possible to do something similar for MIDI-IN-events?

Regards, Holger

2 Likes

Of course itā€™s possible :wink:
In fact, the canvas used for rendering the CPU-load bar is called ā€œstatus_canvasā€ and itā€™s intended for showing useful status information ā€¦ So ā€¦ we could ā€œbrainstormā€ and see what should be there :wink:

It wants to match logging status.
It could be another webconf advanced display config or itā€™s a benevolent dictator declaration.
Presemably it plays nicely with the undervoltage iconsā€¦?
I Like midi status up there. Itā€™s a great sanity check in our world.

Great addition. thanks!

Hi @zynthinaners!

As you can read in the new threadā€™s title, iā€™ve improved the new Status Area in the UIā€™s topbar:

• CPU-load => Bar
  • MIDI-IN => Green M flag
  • Xrun => Red X flag
  • Under-voltage => Red V flag
  • Over-temperature => Red T flag

The CPU-load bar shows the CPU usage as calculated by Jack:

This is a running average of the time it takes to execute a full process cycle for all clients as a percentage of the real time available per cycle determined by the buffer size and sample rate.

The green M flag is shown when MIDI messages pass thru MIDI router. Not all messages are detected. Only CC, Program Change and Note On/Off.

The red X flag is shown when there are Xruns. You should hear clicks and pops too :wink:

Finally, when the red V or T flag is shown, your zynthian is working in a degraded state, with the CPU frequency capped to 600-800 MHz, trying to stabilize the system and avoid a crash. You shouldnā€™t see any of them and if you do so, you should consider looking for a better power source (under-voltage) or using a heat sink (over-temperature).

Iā€™m pretty sure that this new on-screen status area will be really useful, specially for detecting common problems, like the under-voltge.

Enjoy!

8 Likes

Thatā€™s absolutely cool! Many thanks @jofemodo!!!

2 Likes

Also documented in the Wiki:

http://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Zynthian_UI_Users_Guide#The_Status_Area

Regards,

Bad news: After the new update for the on-screen-status I am getting massive xruns for Pinaoteq :frowning:

Regards, Holger

Could you reboot your zynthian and try again? My zynthian works OK ā€¦

We should be able to hide itā€¦I even know where :slight_smile:

No, sorryā€¦ wonā€™t work also :sob:

when I try to update today, I get this:

Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ā€¦
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
files list file for package ā€˜libatk1.0-devā€™ is missing final newline
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

If you update again the error is still there?
Have you tried to install the missing package by hand?

Regards,

Yes, even after a reboot.
when I install it manually it says, that is it the newest version already.

This is weird as well:
cmake: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libjsoncpp.so.0: undefined symbol: _Z^4Nson1rtqledWriteR5uriTeERKNS_ļæ½ValueEļæ½_ZNK4Json5Value5bļæ½ginEv
/usr/bin/cmake: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libjsoncpp.so.0: undefined symbol: _Z^4Nson1rtqledWriteR5uriTeERKNS_ļæ½ValueEļæ½_ZNK4Json5Value5bļæ½ginEv
Makefile:298: recipe for target ā€˜cmake_check_build_systemā€™ failed

But I try to update my second zynthian nextā€¦

the other worked. The former did update as well. I see the M.
Letā€™s see. Maybe that one will be the first getting the first ZynthianOS release.

Hi @C0d3man!

Please, update again and try to disable the status refresh:

/zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynthian_gui.py, line 943

Also, you could disable jack client activation in zynautoconnect:

/zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynautoconnect/zynthian_autoconnect.py, lines 388 & 389

If after this 2 changes you are getting XRuns yet, i doubt itā€™s related with the new Status Area functionality.

Regards,

From the content perspective:
1/ MIDI Outā€¦?

and just for fun . . .
2/ Build a state model that can indicate when there are MIDI events pending. Keep a track of MIDI Onā€™s and Offā€™s display a symbol for overall parsing (Are there any dangling MIDI events that could confuse patch changesā€¦, of MIDI stream of the current zynth .) :smiley:
With MIDI status reporting thatā€™s probably as good as one could get it at the end of the day without running a microphone to detect the sound of the being played by the zynth . . . (Some one will do it :slight_smile: )
Weā€™ve got the new i/o buttons to respond to messages in the status area, so we want to indicate states that the user can respond to. MIDI panic et al.

Nice! lotā€™s of functionality in a small space.

1 Like

Lot of possibilities ā€¦yes!! But letā€™s take some weeks for testing the current functionality and check that everything works as expected and that the current concept & implementation is the right way before adding more features in this area.

Of course, itā€™s a good moment for brainstorming :wink:

Cheers!

Just midi out really, but you did ask! :smile: