On-Screen Status Info on Zynthian-UI: CPU-load, MIDI-IN, xrun, undervoltage & overtemperature

Hi @C0d3man!

I’ve been testing Pianoteq with other zynthians, playing very very hard and it’s really difficult to get a XRun without using the sustain pedal. FYI, I’m using the 6.4.1 version that IMHO, performs better than older ones.

Regards,

I get xruns anytime. Just play the lower keys very fast, loud and many.
I think it has always been like that though. But now you see it, when you get one as well

@mheidt,

• What instrument are you using? Any?
  • Are you using a RBPi3 B+?
  • Are you sure you have not the “V” flag (undervoltage) in the status area? :wink:

Regards,

It’s only Steinway D. MkII is fine.
I don’t use other pianos.
And no, 6A is enough and I only see M and X
And it’s on both Audioinjector Zynthians.
I don’t use PT on the original one.
And yes B+

Could you test with the original zynthian?
I would like to know if it’s related with AudioInjector …

Regards,

@C0d3man

Are you using some RT optimization (CPU sets or so …) on your zynthian?

Regards,

OK! I’ve optimized the refresh_update function to reduce the CPU usage by Zynthian-UI and recuce system calls that can block process (vcgencmd??). Please, tell me if you feel some improvement …

If not, try to totally disable de status refresh, but i can’t note any difference :wink:

Regards,

Tee Hee.

I’d say less, but twenty characters … :smiley:

Of course it can be an option … but … if it has absolutely no impact in performance, i don’t see any reason to be an option. In the other hand, if we suspect or have a reasonable doubt of that, we should add an option :wink:

Regards,

@jofemodo :clap::clap::clap:
thanks a lot! this new on-screen status function is not just waaay cool but also saved my mental health: it’s about a month I’m having issues (pops, crackles and all the xruns related miseries) with Pianoteq and Linuxsampler, yesterday I did an update and after what am I reading on the display? The RED V!! I immediately thrashed the “high quality” 2.4A power supply I was using, dashed out the door to buy a new one (3.1A this time) and now everything works as it should! Soooo happy and in love again with my Zynthian! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

yes, i have two 2.5A…one works and the other doesn’t…a new power supply it will be…

Ohhh! I’m really happy of seen the utility of this new feature!! Great!! :blush:

1 Like

I tested with a ZynthianOS on the original and it works far better.

Now I am trying the ZynthianOS on an Audioinjector Zynthian.
But jack doesn’t play with me yet.

Cannot open ZynMidiRouter client
JackShmReadWritePtr1::~JackShmReadWritePtr1 - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
ZynMidiRouter: Error connecting with jack server.
ZynMidiRouter: MIDI tuning frequency set to 440 Hz (8192)
./zynthian.sh: line 127: 1179 Segmentation fault ./zynthian_gui.py

Again, this is so helpful! After the update, I also found that “v” is almost constantly lit. Although a “3 A” power supply is connected to the Zynthian. I have exchanged it with the power supply of my Libreelec box (also 3A) and zynthian runs as if he is on dope. :star_struck:
…obviously 3A is not equal to 3A :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

It’s a little bit better for me (RPi3B - no plus!) but it’s nood ass good as “before”. I can’t see any undervoltage flag. I think I will setup the whole system again. Perhaps I have done something I can’t remeber what causes my trouble.

Regards, Holger

I’m looking for 1 Farad capacitor at 20 Volts. . . (quite why I wont settle for 0.47F I don’t know) to see if it will cure the occasional xruns on my pianoteq rig with the Hifiberry amp +.

Actually . . . .

A fairly long hard look at the possibility of driving the hifiberry amp2 device from a Makita battery supply…

All kinds of interesting stuff including a design flaw :smiley:

Here’s someone going the other way . . .

I don’t see any particular problem doing such a thing … Actually, with my “Roland D5-ZYn” i’m thinking about doing a full battery operated machine… there is an awful lot of empty space inside the D5 case :slight_smile:

1 Like

The hifiamp2 with control 1 speakers was 7 kilograms, the LI-Ion batteries are certainty a more attractive proposition from the lugging around point of view!

The nice thing about doing the zynthian amp2 battery thing is you have a transportable off grid grand piano !! :smiley: Which is why the idea of an distributed audio net is interesting because I can finally get an audio in with jack and a hifi berry amp2.
So you can handle a mic as well!
Not bad for a diversion from a “can we see Xruns displayed?” discussion is it?

I hope the xrun issue is power supply related, because I am using the power supply supplied by hifiberry for the amp2 and I’d like to think this wasn’t below our performance threshold. It’s probably as much of a test as we could give it . . . .

Roadies’ problem, not mine. And it could be worse: I could have an original Leslie speaker :rofl::rofl:

But I was thinking of something a little smaller than those JBL speakers… actually an headphone amp. There’s always the little problem that if someone listen my playing, I have to kill him then… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Back to the topic: are you powering the rPI from the amp2? If I see right from the picture, amp2 uses a TPS54232 regulator, that has an output up to 2A, and I don’t see some “beefy” capacitors on the amp. So, you may be slightly underpowering the rPI in some situation.

Hammond organs were most feared . . .

Yep. Seems the most sensible approach. I assume hifiberry have got nicely compressed hifi audio in mind rather than live un-adulterated Steinway D ( wyleu minor’s sulky selection from amongst the piano’s . . . )
The giveaway will be turning down the volume on the zynth ( no mucking around with external PA…) . If it’s power supply there will be a maximum volume (regrettable but acceptable I suppose), whilst if it’s something more pernicious (like I seem to see with the MDA DX10 I’ve now got access to…) then you will see the errors whatever the volume…

I suspect a ‘decent cap’ around the amp might help issues a little, but most Power Amp design of the past forty or so years has been about Power Supply design so perhaps it’s best left as a nice option on the hifiberry amp3 . . .

Much to play with. . .