Rockband drums (joystick) as a drum controller

it shows up :

I connect it to zynMidiRouter main_in correct?

That should do it, I’ve certainly bolted Qmidinet in that way long before it became blessed.

We can see your MIDI channel 10 mapping and wouldn’t you know it?
it’s going straight into LinuxSampler midi_in_0

So anything MIDI on channel 10 coming into the zynth should be ending up playing stuff.

I’ve had the red zeppelin sf2 playing MIDI channel 10 from the Motor 61 through my rig here, so I think that side is ok…

You presumably know aseqdump ?

and Audacity will display MIDI from the Admin MIDI Record feature (AlphaNumerics & hyphens in the name)

it will at least get you an insight into the alsa side of this if you find you’re loosing the notes as they bounce from buffer to buffer . . .

Thanks Weyleu, appreciate all the help.

When I run rbdrums2midi -c 10 in aseq mode i get working messages through aseqdump

using a2j to get from the alsa tab to the midi tab, but still no sound

If i run rbdrums2midi -j -c 10 in jack mode, I get a coonection in the midi tab directly

still no sound… could it be the output of the synth? (I have only tested using the test midi menu option)

Just for sanitys sake connect directly from you midi out to the fluid synth midi in. Also the midi recorder option will at least tell you if midi is moving around.
It could be the audio injectors delight in responding to alsa mixer levels. You can rig stuff up entirely without midi hardware by using qmidinet… Don’t know how friendly it is in the Windows world but a remote midiox/midi yoke will probably tell you a fair bit. Midi in to the zynth is pretty heavily tested so proving midi USB or tty> zynth > sound would be good.

For giggles I’d try another sound font, like a piano. Maybe the notes from the kit are not mapping to notes in the drum soundfont.

Shouldn’t your aseqdump be showing channel 9 (numbers from 0 channel 10) not 10 as it is doing?

rbdrums2midi -j -c 9 perhaps . . . ?

from the code . . .

else if (strcmp(argv[i], "-c") == 0) {
            r = atoi(argv[++i]);
            MIDI_DRUM->channel = min(max(r,0),15); 

}

Meanwhile here’s when the levee breaks with a MIDI nicked from Led Zeppelin MIDI archive… played straight over qmidinet to a remote zynth from Audacity … :smiley:

That’s done it !

Always something easy in the end - hadn’t noticed the router was using zero based numbering.

Thanks for all the help guys, I have learnt a lot about how the system connects together.
Hopefully others will also find this thread useful.

And the almost obligatory sound piece …? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

once i create something

1 Like

lastly…

the alsa midi patch is not persistent on boot:

I am starting rb2midi in /etc/rc.local perhaps this is too early ?

You can set up Patching up in qmidictl but I suspect that would be cleared down on zynthian start up . . .

This is where we need to make rb2midi part of the Zynthian distribution so we can store the setup files etc as @C0d3man said.

It shouldn’t be too difficult to make a recipe for this, subject of course to the Zynthian BDFL anointing the project . . . .

What do you think @ssj71 ?

The more using the project the merrier! I haven’t ever set up such recipes, who can help?

Recipes. . .

It’s just shell scripts to make sure it’s there… . .

Forgive my ignorance, don’t the recipes add the application as part of the install process?

How would it prevent patching being cleared down on startup, or is it filtered by the nature of any application in one of the recipes directory?

I can create a script with the steps for the setup, do I start the application from the script also?

I don’t know but we will find out.

Hope I can find time to create a recipe the next days…

1 Like

Ok, the script is located inside my Zynthian recipe repository at zynthian-recipe/recipe/nooice.sh.

It is very short and simple - should work - but I have currently no Zynthian for testing available…

You can also do the following step-by-step without cloning my repo:

cd $ZYNTHIAN_SW_DIR/plugins
git clone https://github.com/falkTX/nooice.git
cd nooice
make
sudo make install
sudo install-systemd
make clean
reboot

After a reboot the module should be loaded into jack at startup, so a joystick-midi-device should be shown for jack and hopefully also inside MOD-UI (after adding a new MIDI device). Hope it works…

Regards, Holger

Small alteration to the instructions . . . . .

After reboot.

No sight in qjackctl

root@zynthian-amp2:# systemctl status nooice
● nooice.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)
root@zynthian-amp2:/zynthian/zynthian-sw/plugins/nooice/systemd#

Mind you I haven’t got the drumset so that could be contributory . . . :smiley:

Uuups, yes, you are totaly right.

Currently, Zynthian-1 is at the rehearsal room, Zynthian-2 is borrowed to a big piano distributor and I only have a Roland TD-3 drumset… no chance for real testing…

Regards, Holger

It’s installation seems to coincided with my have wiped out my MIDI tty input …

Co-incidence?

… Really irritating it’s meant I re-installed my Motor-61 USB connection (I had switched to 5pin MIDI port) and guess what? the held keys is back (play a Cmajor chord fast and lift straight off you often get a held note. ) on FluidSynth GM Yamaha Grand & , So it’s only on USB !!! Grrrrrrr. . . . . Time to contact Behringer again . . .

As far as drums and this recipe goes I think it would be wise to set the default MIDI channel to 9(10) simply to leave a little space for the all the other devices that seem hell bent on getting on channel 0(1).

Any body got any preferences on which implementation we employ?

• noonce C0d3man
  • rbdrum2midi ssj71

0 voters

Personally I’d prefer they fought to the death in Thunderdome but apparently democracy is what the cool kids want . . .