Sending USB-Midi data to Zynthian, from an external DAW/Computer

AFAIK, currently only “one driver” type is possible. The docs say:

You can only pick one of the above modules to use at a time.

Referring to the g_XXX modules:

• Serial (g_serial)
  • Ethernet (g_ether)
  • Mass storage (g_mass_storage)
  • MIDI (g_midi)
  • Audio (g_audio)
  • Keyboard/Mouse (g_hid)
  • Mass storage and Serial (g_acm_ms)
  • Ethernet and Serial (g_cdc)
  • Multi (g_multi) - Allows you to configure 2 from Ethernet, Mass storage and Serial
  • Webcam (g_webcam)
  • Printer (g_printer)
  • Gadget tester (g_zero)

As you can see, it’s possible to combine several devices on the same driver, so I don’t think it’s impossible to have MIDI & Audio, but it’s not implemented currently …

Regards,

What we need is a custom cable that separates the power from the usb 2.0 data lines
none can be found premade unfortunately.

Hi, my first post here. First thanks for all your work on this little beast. I’m starting my Zynthian and really want to use this usb OTG to work with my Ableton Live to sequence the Zynthian. I updated and reboot some times but doesn’t apears on my Ableton midi preferences as a midi device. And doesn’t show up on my Catalina too :S
It’s connected with a usb c to usb A 3.0 cable direct to a usb 3.0 port of the laptop.

I see the Zynthian in Ardour on my Windows 10 machines as “MIDI function”. (I wonder if there is an option to name it “Zynthian”?) It works but my laptop does not provide enough power for the Zynthian and peripherals hanging off it so I see a permanent lightning bar. (BTW @jofemodo the RPi yellow lightning bar appears - I thought we had lost this and should only see the Zynthian one.)

[Edit] You can add a file /etc/modprobe.d/g_midi.conf with content:

options g_midi iManufacturer=Zynthian iProduct=Zynthian

then the Zynthian will appear as a USB MIDI device called Zynthian. (Note: Windows keeps hold of the name it once learned so it may be more challenging to see “Zynthian” in Windows if you have already plugged it in before we change its USB name. You can change this in the registry under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_17B3&PID_0004&MI_00.)

3 Likes

Thanks @riban! It’s already added to the default config :wink:
BTW, i found this:

Regards

I think that cable might be the wrong combination. It looks like the data + power is fed to the type A with power derived from the other type A and just data feeding the type C. We need power + data on the type C.

I think we should consider providing a dedicated power inlet on (a future incarnation of) the Zynthian which could be optionally used instead of USB C and/or provide resilient power. I know it adds a little to the cost for the extra connector plus a small protection circuit between it and the RPi header but it allows for a robust power connection whilst retaining the current (easily sourced) USB power option.

1 Like

it works well…

1 Like

I have tried enabling the OTG audio interface and Windows 10 does not like it. It refuses to understand the OTG device if there is more than one driver loaded and it shows the audio interface (when enabled alone) as not working. I did not investigate too much… it got late!

Absolutely - @wyleu and I use those connectors. They provide very secure connection and with multiple pins could provide other services, e.g. multiple voltage levels, clean / dirty supplies, serial data… but the key thing is that they lock the supply connector and either trip over your guitarist or pull your Zynthian across the stage :wink:.

it’s time to change your guitar player… :upside_down_face: or a keyboard player… per person without wires :rofl:

1 Like

I am the guitarist :blush:.
image (not me)

1 Like

unnamed

Fairly interesting article!

Hi @Roma,

Thanks: I did not know about the existence of this “alternative” e-commerce platform.

Pity that at this point I have already deployed the standard 3A type. For the time being, all the necessary added power for Midi controllers is provided by a large USB 3.0 hub hooked to my iMac, therefore I should not incur in any disturbances or lightning flags on the Zynthian.

This said, should I experience instead audio drop-outs or X-runs, with the multi-channel arrangements which I plan to experiment with on the Zynthian very soon, I will resort gladly to your Aliexpress reference, for a stronger 4A PSU.

All the best,

Happy to help… life is full of surprises… :slightly_smiling_face:

I also think that maybe we would need an Y cable with a derived USB-C data+power extension, in order for the OTG USB-Midi connection to work.

I agree with @riban that the future inclusion of a power inlet of generous Ampere specifications, taylored for the Zynthian kit, would be a welcome addition :slight_smile:

Hi @alespardo,

I still have to have a try with the new master mods on the Zynthian OS, kindly and promptly implemented by @jofemodo .

Very curious to find out if my computer and DAW will manage to see the Zynth as an USB device on OTG USB-C, for Midi management and transmission.

Best regards,

1 Like

This is exactly what this cable does. It have 2 x A connectors, but only one is usable for data. The other one is for power only. If you look at the photo carefully, you can see what i mean:

BTW, i bought a pair for testing …

Regards,

1 Like

It was this picture that made me doubt the power feed to the type C connector:

This device looks like it should work though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/303406344121?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=303406344121&targetid=938486033460&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006637&poi=&campaignid=10199635171&mkgroupid=107296318292&rlsatarget=aud-629407025025:pla-938486033460&abcId=1145987&merchantid=118941581&gclid=CjwKCAjwnK36BRBVEiwAsMT8WFyqys4MVLPDkZ4GIqEUfgcqIWBaUFTu66TwkqD_lxL57IvQCGjliBoCc4wQAvD_BwE

It shows headphones but other devices should / may work. Other devices are less specific about the data device like this:

but the T-shape might be inappropriate for Zynthian / RPi. This advert specifically states Power + data but I reckon most of these will support that mode.

1 Like

I’d prefer USB C with power and data to a Y with one connector only power and the other only data lines. Other wise both plugs would need to be plugged into 2 usb ports on same device or you risk back charging