Show me your setup!

5 Likes

Wow - I like it! If you don’t mind the typing, I’d be interested in some more info, particularly on the two keyboards. I can tell from the photo that one is a ‘conventional music keyboard’ with two octaves and ‘unconventional’ keys, I believe. Are they commercial products or DIY, if DIY are they ‘open source’, ‘open hardware’? Thanks!

The keypad is a “Max keyboard Falcon-20”, it will most likely be replaced by a diy euroracked Keypad of the same form factor. The Keyboard is an “OMX-27”, which is sold as a quick build kit. after years of gripes about buttons, i have fallen in love with mechanical keyboard switches

Keypad: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713M4T2V?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

2 Likes

Thanks very much - and besides the keyboard, DENKI OTO had some interesting items, among them - a “rework/remix of the monome norns shield”:

I didn’t know those were still available.

It is interesting that the shield uses the CS4270 audio interface from Cirrus Logic which is now discontinued. Cirrus Logic have discontinued some useful chips including this and the WM8960 from Wolfson which Cirrus acquired in 2014. (I didn’t know that until recently.) The replacement chips have some rather useful features missing, e.g. Cirrus suggest using the WM8962B to replace the WM8960 but it does not have line output, only Class D amp plus headphones.

The recommended replacement for the CS4270 is the CS4272 which is not pin compatible. In fact it is quite a different design with software control and differential (balanced) inputs and outputs. It may prove to be a poor choice for Denki Oto to have chosen a discontinued chip as far as availability and support goes.

2 Likes

The reason for the choice of that specific package is that this is basically a clone of the monome now discontinued norns shield with added logic for a very interensting implementation of serial to trs-midi in which input is both type A (now the actual standard) and B, an the output has a tiny sliding switch for choosing one or the other.

The main norns project has a newer design with a non-discontinued chip but the still recommend the older one for simplicity as the newer chips require extra circuitry.

I’ve actually got a couple of Denki Oto’s gadgets (fates, an earlier norns board with suport for organelle/ORAC patches, an OMX-27, umbrellas, a rpi4 midi router, and some of his miditrs to usb and host2host midi adapters).

1 Like

5 months later
 We’ve tried-succeeded (more or less) running a ‘two screen Zynthian’ - with the UI on the ‘native Zynthian’ and a larger screen driven by VNC for displaying ‘Patchage’ and PureData patches.

I say “more or less” because it basically works, but sometimes the big screen doesn’t update when it should, and of course the big display adds some overhead so it can cause ‘xruns’ if you’re already pushing it. I never tried to solve-isolate the problems cos it was just for convenience and ‘proof of concept’. You could force an update when needed with a ‘refresh’.

1 Like

The version of VNC and associated libs used in Zynthian suffers from artifacts. This is resolved in later versions so we hope to see this fixed in a future Zynthian update.

3 Likes

Thank you @tunagenes for feedback.
RBPi can achieve dual display. It seems to me non natural to pass by the VNC tool for displaying native engines UIs (or webconf tool) on an external HDMI display.
But I have to admit that these days I haven’t time to explore this, so I may be totaly false 

1 Like

I think I understand what you’re saying, and I agree re the ‘natural’ display using HDMI - but VNC works, and HDMI could probably be made to work without a large amount of work, but I would not call it trivial. And then we’d have to deal with how you get access to the HDMI connectors on the RPi inside Zynthian.

The VisionFive 2 board does have the HDMI connector on the same side of the board as the USB-Ethernet-Audio connectors, so with some extra space on the back panel vs RPi we could have an optional HDMI monitor.

Hi !

Kid making sport outdoor, dad making music in the car. Very mobile setup, can work with a ukulele too :smile:

5 Likes

wyleu-at_synthfest

The zyncajon . . . .

With it’s close friend the duo-piano

7 Likes

How have you allocated the keys
?

Please tell me-us more.

Interesting that the emoji :grinning: doesn’t show up in the quote above and I can’t change it - probably a good feature to prevent misquoting.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I’m just getting to this thread now - that is a very inspiring setup! What is the little flat keyboard there? I might need that actually. It presumably solves my organ action problem that I’ve been talking about in other threads in a wholly different way. :>

My current “work in progress” station:

Gear atm is Roland VR-09 above and Launchkey61 below, but I’ve basically decided I’m gonna get a second VR, cause the whole thing is I’m trying to improvise a dual-manual B3 setup, cause that is my current obsession as a musician. I listen to a lot of Jimmy Smith and Groove Holmes these days. Real Hammonds of various vintages do pass through our local used instrument economy on the regular so once I’m employed

(VR series is especially great for B3 players with no money, like me)

Anyways, above you can see my ZynthV5 and also a Waveshare screen mounted - that is intended to be the screen for a second Zynthian, which will go through the USB interface of my Boss GP-10 and be a redundant unit in case of failure onstage of the main unit, not that I expect that to happen, but this is what I use now and that will not change until such time as the project is fully abandoned; that said, in the end it’s a computer, and any good Sysadmin knows that the key is not configuring your systems perfectly, it’s having good backups and failovers when the inevitable failures happen.

This will also be the Pi5 zynth until Jofe gets the new kits out. I’m not in any big hurry on that, I would rather he test them really thoroughly and make sure he gets the fanless thing right, given what I read about heat in the early Pi5 reports. The guitar pedal can always come along for the ride even if the guitar does not need to. This right here is also why I think having a “remote” mode where I can use a single V5 to control other zynths on the network would be the bee’s knees.

That piece of wood is just sitting on top right now, but eventually it will be a flip-down lid that closes it up for travel, on wheels. It’s all sitting on top of a motorized sit/stand desk, I generally stand with the band but sometimes I sit.

7 Likes

That looks like some excellent diplomating you’re doing there, what’s the context?

Well it got through tonight’s rehearsal running chain manager.

Sultans of swing was attempted several times

1 Like

@wileu
 precisely you (in Latin “tu quoque, Brute, fili mi” :joy:) who are the promoter of: :face_with_monocle:
Don’t you listen to anything? Shame! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: