SooperLooper - In Testing

Let me check with the photographer.

1 Like

Ups! I already added so you (and your photographer) can see the result. But no problem with removing it. If your photographer doesn’t like, simply tell me and i will remove it ASAP.

It’s fine to use it but it must be credited to “Breige Cobane Photography.”

2 Likes

Done!!

Keyboard Expander - Zynthian: Open Synth Platform

Thanks!

3 Likes

I like those bass pedals, have you written that project up somewhere? I’ve been keeping my eyes out for a discarded organ to cannibalize some pedals from to do something like that myself, since nobody makes a simple set of pedals with midi out for less than a couple thousand, it seems.

I often see organs going cheap or even free on Freecycle.

You can get pedalboards for about £250 on reverb occasionally. There seems to be one there now.

Try using the search feature in Discord. It can help find the answers to questions (and take you down rabbit holes), e.g. A pedalboard zynthian .. ..

I didn’t find the way to map the buttons of my control surface to the ones on the center part of sooperlooper UI (record, undo, dry, wet and so on).
I’m running staging-2210 on my “devel” setup without hardware controllers and with a 5inch touchscreen.

In my regular zynthian, I shortclick ‘select’ and can access the usual commands settings pages, in this menu I can do midi learning as I usually do with other chains without widget gui

Each of the controls in the centre GUI are also presented as individual rotary controllers on the pages of controllers. These can be MIDI learned in the usual way.

Hi @riban & @Tabula, thank you for help. I’m pretty new with this looper app.

as is, when I’m the SooperLooper screen, I’m stick to one page: “Level2”. I can’t navigate througn other pages (rec1, rec2, play1, …)

1 Like

What happens when you short press the “Select” encoder? Can you not change pages in other engines? Does anything go into the log?

Hi,

I’m on an encoderless setup atm. I have to unmount the one I own wich has encoders gor accessing to the SD card.

Yes, with other engines page navigation using the onscreen buton works smoothly. In Sooperlooper screen, except the page “level2”, all pages looks like disabled.

I haven’t looked at them yet. I’m not close ro my Zynthian right now (because of Paris Saint Germain vs Olympique de Marseille) so I can’t tell.

As said, this is my first experiments with Sooperlooper so maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Not sure if this is a bug or I just don’t know what I’m doing, but I can’t find any play/stop controls for SooperLooper among the parameter pages. Are there supposed to be or is there a completely different screen to be used for starting/stopping?

You don’t ‘stop’ the looper, but you can pause channels, or mute them.

In the same way you don’t ‘start’ the looper, you can trigger the loops to run, or have an audio threshold to trigger the recording.

It feels a bit odd but it does work.

Ok, well that explains why I can’t find any stop/start controls then . :slight_smile:
I agree it works well, but I was looking for some way to quickly stop all loops and then restart them all in sync. I can fairly quickly mute them all in succession, but it is slightly cumbersome. Similarily, I can pause them all, then trigger them, syncing to loop 1, to get them to start simultaneously, but again it’s a tad cumbersome.

I suggest adding a feature request. There is already a request to allow MIDI mapping of parameters for each loop. Your request may be related (at least in implementation) but should be submitted as a separate request.

On a separate subject, SooperLooper has default MIDI mapping for many of its controls but depends on chain MIDI channel so if SooperLooper is added to the main mixbus, the default mapping uses the master MIDI channel. If master MIDI channel is disabled then there is not default MIDI mapping and must be done manually.

1 Like

I am struggling to control sooperlooper via OSC messages. I am using the Python liblo library that actually works fine to send CUIA messages to localhost:1370. The OSC messages for sooperlooper are sent to localhost:9951, but there is no reaction when I am trying to record for example:
localhost/sl/-1/hit record
Or localhost/sl/-1/hit pause should pause the loops ?
I tried using ‘up’ / ‘down’ instead of ‘hit’, and 0, 1, instead of -1 (all loops) or -3 (use selected loop), but nothing works.
The messages are going out because I can intercept them with tcpdump.

Zynthian’s integration of SooperLooper uses OSC. Each client may make connections and control it but you may find a client expects to be the only controller and may not support some workflows controlled by other clients. SL’s native GUI has some flaws in this respect and can be confused. I found some functions did not behave as expected with -1/-3 addresses and there were some undocumented features I needed to figure out and use. (Wireshark and the native GUI helped with that.) The UDP port used by SL is configurable and I may have used something different to 9951. (I just checked and UDP port 9951 is used.) The OSC address shouldn’t be prefixed with “localhost” like you have written. The message should be something like:

liblo.send('osc.udp://localhost:9951', '/sl/-1/hit', ('s', 'mute'))
1 Like

@riban thanks for your quick help (as usual). Works like a charm now. I simply forgot that I have to add the parameter as a tuple to the message, and not just to the main message string.
One more question: Is there a kind of shortcut (single cuia message etc.), to directly go to the sooperlooper screen ? Something like SCREEN_LOOPER ? If not, then I think that would make sense because there can only be a single sooperlooper instance anyway.

hey everyone,

i’ve put my zinthian out to test my 2nd hand fcb1010 (the berhinger (dmaned) foot controller, and it’s a bit of a pain to configure it. Is there any basic cc binding for the function of the sooperlooper? From sooperlooper website, it seems that you can define what do you want from what you want, but it feels tedious to go and midi learn all the options by hand, (or maybe there is a better way for that and i missed it in the doc?)

Thanks for having added that tool, it gives a second change to the zynthian for me (which still havent find it’s place in my setup).