Starting my zynthian build: alternative LCD, DAC, encoders

Hey everyone! Greetings from Brazil! I’m keyboardist and a Java programmer. I’m noob with linux but want to start the build of my zynthian =)

I have:

With this hardware, will I success to build my Zynthian?

I connected the LCD direct on GPIO and have turn raspberry power on (without connect the UCA222). With this, after the boot, I got a screen with Zynthian logo and “ERROR” message in red color.

I have no idea what can I do to advance the zynthian configuration. What are the next steps?
0. How to access a log to try understand the issue (ERROR message) cause?

1. How to get out the ERROR screen?
  2. How to connect my encoders KY-040?
  3. How to get my UCA222 connected and working?

Sorry for my bad English

2 Likes

There is a lazlo entry in the forum. It seems to be a similar screen.
Rgd logs pls search the blog. There is an entry that describes it.
In short: using ssh, stop service, run manually.
But I reckon that you didn’t change the wiring physically and in the webconf.

Sorry for the short style.

Hi @mheidt! Thanks for your reply!

I was able to access the web interface and changed the display setting for WaveShare 3.5A and achieved better image quality. However, the error screen persists.

A question: do I necessarily need the encoders and the audio to be connected, or with the LCD connected, should I be able to display the zynthian home screen?

you have to wire it up like shown here

And yes, you need the audio. Talking of which. USB Audio is not good enough.

Maybe AudioInjector is shipping to Brazil.
There is a new HighQualitiy one coming up in a couple of months as well.

Please read this
http://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Command_Line_User_Guide
Section “Stopping/Starting the Zynthian UIStopping/Starting the Zynthian UI”

Now you see the reason for the error screen.

1 Like

I had run the commands:

systemctl stop zynthian
and
/zynthian/zynthian-sys/sbin/zynthian.sh

With this second, I get a loop with recurrent messages with JackTemporaryException, Cannot initialize server, JackServer open failed with -1, etc

Audio card…I never tried USB Audio. But maybe someone else can help.
You changed to USB Audio in the webconf?

Yes! I had changed to USB Audio, but doesn’t used extra config.

Ah, I followed your advice and bought an AudioInjector right now. For now, I will use the UCA222 (USB) for testing purposes only. While I wait for AudioInjector to arrive, my goal is to mount the encoders and make it work with the USB audio interface.

1 Like

I’ve tried getting USB with zynthian to work a couple of times with different USB devices (beringer and Roland) and never managed to get it working, but it’s not been something I’ve pursuid heavily, as I use hifiberry3 amps and audio injectors as my lowest option as USB has ‘overheads’

Hi @wyleu! Thanks for your support =)

I found this thread on zynthian-ui issues github page

Using net (jackd -r -p 8 -d net -C 2 -P 0) I get a GUI running with the screen , but can’t start nothing with no touch response.

new log with more informations

root@zynthian:~# systemctl status zynthian.service -l
● zynthian.service - Zynthian User Interface
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/zynthian.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-05-11 14:23:22 BST; 4min 14s ago
Main PID: 485 (startx)
CGroup: /system.slice/zynthian.service
├─ 485 /bin/sh /usr/bin/startx ./zynthian.sh – :0 vt3
├─ 562 xinit ./zynthian.sh – /usr/bin/X :0 vt3 -auth /tmp/serverauth.lYzsg6n9MY
├─ 563 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg :0 vt3 -auth /tmp/serverauth.lYzsg6n9MY
├─ 575 /bin/bash ./zynthian.sh
└─1953 /usr/bin/python3 ./zynthian_gui.py

May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1667:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: JackTemporaryException : now quits…
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot initialize driver
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: JackServer::Open failed with -1
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: Failed to open server
May 11 14:27:34 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
May 11 14:27:34 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server request channel
May 11 14:27:35 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
May 11 14:27:35 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server request channel
root@zynthian:~# root@zynthian:~# systemctl status zynthian.service -l
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/zynthian.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-05-11 14:23:22 BST; 4min 14s ago
Main PID: 485 (startx)
CGroup: /system.slice/zynthian.service
├─ 485 /bin/sh /usr/bin/startx ./zynthian.sh – :0 vt3
├─ 562 xinit ./zynthian.sh – /usr/bin/X :0 vt3 -auth /tmp/serverauth.lYzsg6n9MY
├─ 563 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg :0 vt3 -auth /tmp/serverauth.lYzsg6n9MY
├─ 575 /bin/bash ./zynthian.sh-bash: root@zynthian:~#: command not found

└─1953 /usr/bin/python3 ./zynthian_gui.py

May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1667:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: JackTemporaryException : now quits…
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot initialize driver
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: JackServer::Open failed with -1
May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: Failed to open server
May 11 14:27:34 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
May 11 14:27:34 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server request channel
May 11 14:27:35 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
May 11 14:27:35 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server request channel
root@zynthian:~#root@zynthian:~# ● zynthian.service - Zynthian User Interface
-bash: ●: command not found
root@zynthian:~# Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/zynthian.service; enabled)
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token (' root@zynthian:~# Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-05-11 14:23:22 BST; 4min 14s ago -bash: syntax error near unexpected token(’
root@zynthian:~# Main PID: 485 (startx)
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token (' root@zynthian:~# CGroup: /system.slice/zynthian.service -bash: CGroup:: command not found root@zynthian:~# ├─ 485 /bin/sh /usr/bin/startx ./zynthian.sh -- :0 vt3 -bash: ├─: command not found root@zynthian:~# ├─ 562 xinit ./zynthian.sh -- /usr/bin/X :0 vt3 -auth /tmp/serverauth.lYzsg6n9MY -bash: ├─: command not found root@zynthian:~# ├─ 563 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg :0 vt3 -auth /tmp/serverauth.lYzsg6n9MY -bash: ├─: command not found root@zynthian:~# ├─ 575 /bin/bash ./zynthian.sh -bash: ├─: command not found root@zynthian:~# └─1953 /usr/bin/python3 ./zynthian_gui.py -bash: └─1953: command not found root@zynthian:~# root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1667:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card -bash: syntax error near unexpected token(’
root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
-bash: May: command not found
root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: JackTemporaryException : now quits…
root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot initialize driver
root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: JackServer::Open failed with -1
root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:33 zynthian startx[485]: Failed to open server
root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:34 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:34 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server request channel
root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:35 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
root@zynthian:~# May 11 14:27:35 zynthian startx[485]: Cannot connect to server request channel
root@zynthian:~# root@zynthian:~#

I’ve listed alsa devices (aplay -l command), and got the USB Audio card devices (both UCA-222 and C-Media) but Jack can’t started… Work with alsa, but doesn’t with jack… I’ll continue my investigations =)

With speaker-test from alsa, I get audio response with a cheap CM108 USB DAC, but keep stuck on zynthian error screen :frowning:

1 Like

Keep this up it’s good stuff!
It might of got a bit of attention from me today but I was busy changing a pump in my solar heating system . . . :frowning:

I’m almost giving up of the USB DAC config. It’s so hard to me to make anything with linux.

But while my AudioInjector DAC doesn’t arrive, I’ll keep buying others parts to my project. Today arrived the MCP23017 module to wire with the KY040 encoders. This is the my new challenge: To get this working with the raspberry board.

PS: I’m using the same encoder modules of this project:

I can understand the linux reticence. It’s not like computing most people are taught.

I have heard hell described as linux without manuals. . . .but. . .
IT works. it really does.
The fact that there are at least 30 ways of doing anything and any search for information reveals much out of date, information.

The danger is to blindly apply instructions from the web because context is everything, and to look at quite what it manages is the real achievement.

If you are Windows or Mac you have massive degrees of control of many aspects of the system, whilst in linux people work round such limitations.

Command line really is the most effective way of providing access to a computer guts, remember that both Mac & Windows tried to dispense with the command line and have re-implemented it.

Read error messages VERY carefully. There is often the information you require in their if you look hard.

Jack & Alsa confuse Linux audio but the gestation period for other systems was equally complicated.

Please keep trying, it does do stuff just probably not in the way you expect.

Sorry this is a bit vague but it really is worth the effort.
IT has been said that one can only change at a rate one can’t perceive, so it will always feel frustrating in some regard, it’s just you will find that things do get easier the more effort you put in, and that is the true value of open source, you get back what you put in.

… Anyone got another cheat sheet of git commands …?

A little update on my build process: I buyed a cheap PCM5102A DAC and it will arrive today (my wish). In few days I’ll start the firsts tests, just for to prototype my custom functionalities (midi controller surface with arduino). The “final” version will be with AudioInjector DAC.

In other words, I’ved give up of to make the USB DAC to work with zynthian.

1 Like

a new and happy update: the AudioInjector too will to arrive today!

2 Likes

Today I mounted the raspberry pi with audioinjector DAC and my LCD Waveshare 3.5 (A) but without encoders with MCP23017 (because I will build the encoders interface). But I have a few questions:

The touch interface work without the encoders?

UPDATE:
I’ve changed the LCD configuration to piscreen 3.5 (v2) at the web interface and got touch working. Probably my waveshare 3.5A is fake. Anyway, all now works as expected. Tomorrow I’ll test with a midi controller and try to build the MCP23017 interface. At last, I’ll try to find a ribbon cable to detache the LCD from audioinjector GPIO. When I get a fully funcional zynthian box, I’ll to design the enclosure and all conection position (midi in/out audio inputs and outputs).

1 Like