Success Cases

Hi @StoneTMoN!

Also, you can connect several MIDI-USB keyboards directly to Zynthian. It’s an obvious feature, but there are very few synth modules in the market that can do that. Really! Almost all the synth modules in the market with an USB connector don’t allow direct connection and you have to put a host (computer) in the middle. It sucks! :confounded:

Regards!

1 Like

Hi all!!
Finally I built my Zynthian box (some post above there was only my “naked” setup"). I used a Hammond box 1590DBK (you can find it on Mouser, TME, RS etc.) and with my father (the mechianical expert of Garretlabs :slight_smile: ) we engraved it in order to insert the electronics inside!
Regrading the knobs… I used orange ones because the current Zynthian GUI has orange/grey as main colors! :wink:
The knobs are the following: http://www.musikding.de/Orange-Fluted-25
It is a great instrument…and I play it more or less all days! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey, a new image, time to finish my Zynthian build. (Quite a journey, bought and build a 3D printer to print the parts for my CNC-router (MPCNC) to mill the parts for the case :wink:)

The result…

Finaly, a slot to access the SD-card :cold_sweat:

Making sounds already!

Cheers,
Kees

8 Likes

Hi!
Box 3d printed by
https://www.3dhubs.com/service/110892

3 Likes

Hi!! Really nice!! Congratulations!!

I think you are the first person who have reported a 100% printed 3D box. Could you give some extra feedbak? Did you find some problems related to the 3D case? What version did you print? It doesn’t seem the last one …

Thanks!

2 Likes

My wooden box :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hi @ejdzi,

Nice build. Is it a liitle “treasure chest” containing your Zynthian synth? I guess so…:wink:

Regards, Jose

1 Like

@ejdzi

Really nice! It is so funny what kind of different boxes are shown here! Have you thought about coming to Maker-Faire Berlin in June?
We (Zythian project) have currently no acceptance… but I hope we get one!

Regards, Holger

What a nice treasure chest!? :slight_smile: nice build

Ohhh @ejdzi!!

I really love this case!! :heart_eyes:
My precioussssss … :grin:

@C0d3man, It would be nice to use the Maker Faire to organize a kind of Zynthian Meeting. When the stand is confirmed, we could make a call. What do you think?

Regards!

3 Likes

@jofemodo

Yes - very nice idea! Hope MF2017 will accept us!

Regards, Holger

Just finished building my box. My gadget was made from RPI3, WaveShare 3.2" clone, PiFi DAC+ V2.0 (Hifiberry clone), LM2596 power module. I made an all in one control board on veroboard.
Thanks a lot for this fantastic project!

15 Likes

Nice case, love those knobs!

WOW @norbim ! This one is a beauty :heart_decoration:

Great build Norbin!! Love your cases.

Would love to hear your impression on how the Zynthian stacked up compared to the MB sampler? I was planning a MB sampler but changed my mind to the Z synth. Not that the MB is ‘bad’ but the Z seems more flexible.

I also have some of those LM2596 SMPS but was worried that the 2amp rating was too low. But if it will do the job, that sounds great.
Yogi

Thanks Yogi,
comparing the MBSamplePlayer, this one is really flexible, especially if you want to play with different sample sets and synth technologies. The only drawback is that you have to wait for the OS and engine booting time when you switch it on.
The MBSP is only a “simple” sample player which plays simple wav files for every midi notes, the soundfont synthesis is a “bit” complicated method. I think the MBSP is a switch on and go solution, its perfect to inbuild to e.g. a mellotron or other “replica” instrument. For a long time I wanted to build a small Hammond emulator module, and I found Zynthian which has setBfree as a perfect solution. The other engines are really the bonuses for me.
Actually the LM2596 module is rated for 3 amps, but I think 2 amps would be also enough. I haven’t had any problem with it so far.

Great @norbim!! Really great build!! Congratulations!
I hope to hear some audio/video demo very soon!! :wink:

Best Regards!

…and finally… the “Success” post :slight_smile:

My first Zynthian is now fully assembled and tested (a good musician tested it, my “bang away” playing style is not a real test :wink: ) and ready to be given to the friend that asked me to build it.

It has been almost completely hand wired (but I’m used to hand wire prototypes well bigger than this… Zynthian worked the very first time I powered it)

I designed a 3D printable case for rPI3+PiTFT+HiFiBerry, STL files are on the github repository and on thingiverse. The case is made by many pieces, and each piece can be printed with the outer side on the printing bed, to have a nice and glossy surface. Parts fits on a quite small bed (18x16cm)

I’m thinking about making a thin (2D) printed decal to put on front panel, with key and control descriptions, like the offical one.

Here are some “work in progress” pictures.

Partial case:

Partial case:

RPI3 on its support:

My fantastic “spaghetti style” wiring :wink:

Almost done:

Everything in:

…and now? Already building my second one (for the musician that tested the first one and loved the idea of a “portable hammond”… probably I’ll build it directly inside one of his midi master keyboards :slight_smile:

And the third one will be for me, with AudioInjector board. It’ll be a good addition to synths that I can’t play :slight_smile:: the great Novation MiniNova, a Yamaha PSR3000, and the funny Pocket Operator PO-20 “Arcade”

8 Likes

Amazing @Axeman!

Congratulations for your great work!
It would be nice to have some video testing the case. The project really needs more video contents :wink:

Kind Regards!