Success Cases

Finally I came to photograph my Zynthian aswell! I’m pretty happy with the housing, but if I would have known it would take me so long, I would have just bought it with the case haha!

5 Likes

What does the switch do?

its an additional select button! Because often when i pressed the select turning knob i accidentally turned it and then i selected the menue or present over/under it

1 Like

Hello Zynthianers!

I’ve been lurking on this forum for quite some time, but the time for my first post has finally arrived. Firstly, thanks so much to jofemodo and this community for all your excellent work! You inspired me to build my first Zynthian!

While the case is still in prototype stage, I was blown away today. The last chips I was waiting for to complete by build arrived yesterday. I plugged them into the ic sockets on my home-built all-in-one board, connected the parts together, tested and IT WORKED! Here are some photos and a short video of my build (that’s my son playing - all I can do is make noise on a keyboard!). Like I said, I will make a new case to make things fit better, but I’m so pleased that it’s functional!

Regards,

wolfpaw

P.S. I think this may be the first Zynthian in Canada!

6 Likes

Hi @wolfpaw98!

Congratulations!! And welcome !! :wink:

What display are you using? Have you re-designed the lasser-cutter case for a bigger display?

Regards,

Thanks for the welcome, @jofemodo. The display is a Kuman 3.5" display. I adjusted the laser cutter files to fit it. I also used the laser cutter to cut a recess on the back side of the display panel for the display to sit in. I didn’t like the look of the display sitting 3 mm below the top surface. Plus, the recess helps secure the display. The display has a fairly long female header so I also increased the height of the box by 6 mm to accommodate. I built a new case that incorporates all these features. The display is a waveshare 35a, so I just selected the correct driver from the Zynthian setup menu and it worked! Very chuffed about that! Thanks so much for all your efforts on this project. Now all I have to do is figure out all the features! Here are 2 photos of my Zynthian. I’ll add another two in a second post. IMG_0381IMG_0382

2 Likes

Here are some photos of the finished build. I haven’t added any corner blocks inside the case yet, so I’m using elastic bands to hold the top panel on. Now I can try my Zynthian out with my other keyboards! And also check if the MIDI Out circuit works, as I have not tested this yet. I’m also still waiting for the knobs I ordered from China almost 2 months ago to arrive. At least I can do without the knobs and still have a working Zynthian!

IMG_0384IMG_0386

3 Likes

Nice @wolfpaw98!

I like your solution for the display. Please, could you share your design files? The best way of doing it is forking the zynthian-case repository in github and adding your files in a new folder. After that, you send a pull request and i will merge your changes with the master repo.

BTW, do you know that you can increase the font-size of the zynthian UI from the webconf tool? I would recommend 14 for your display size :wink:

Super Regards,

Hello, I’m glad that I can to share my result! Thanks to Zynthian team!

6 Likes

Hi @nixator!

Could you give some details about your case?
How did you build it? It seems a generic one, but the drills and holes are very well done. A good work!!

Thanks!

I dismantled my first Zynthian, bought a bigger case and added an Audioinjector Zero on top of a Raspi 3.

Lots of space left for future features…or a second Raspi :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, nice job.
I’m Léo and new on this forum, I’m about to try to do a box like you and i see i’m using the same screen (3"5) and i’m terribly confused to configur this device… Please can you tell me how you make this work? Thanks.
I hope have something to post here soon. :slight_smile:

Hi @jofemodo!

Nice to read, that you like my Zynth… I bought cheape one - under ten euro and make holes by firm hand and dremel circular saw for straight edges.

2 Likes

Hi, I solve it here: Swaped X axis of touchpad - solved

Thanks, i’ll try that ASAP :slight_smile:

What a wondeful project! I am enjoying it from the beggining.

The kit was bought by Smart Open Lab, a fablab space inside the University of Extremadura. We are continuosly doing things related with open hardware, sound and music and Zynthian was a MUST for us.

We received the kit “All-in-one” and the four “Controller Modules” and built them easily using the very good documentation of the wiki.

For this initial version, we used:

• RaspberryPi 3
  • 2.8” Adafruit PITFT screen
  • HifiBerry DAC
  • Plastic case of an old external Hitachi hard disc

I had some problems with the MIDI communication with my keyboard (a borrowed M-Audio AxiomPro25) but I was helped by a friend. I had to configure correctly the MIDI ouput of the keyboard.

I share the link of the “decal” we designed to cover the case. We still do not have too much to share…:sweat_smile:

We are using it since some days, nicely and without problems. We were even using it with many children last friday and was a success. We use it with an external looper and could have thousands of fun hours of live music. We use the standard version of the OS without any add-on.

We have at least two next steps to perform:

• Include the looper inside Zynthian. I think it is already done.

• Include an audio input (maybe via AudioInjector) for processing the electric guitar. We have quite experience doing stompboxes and amplifiers (I have too much of them!) but I would also like to have a portable digital processor. Zynthian seems perfect.

I think there is already good information in this forum. We will study it.

We only can give thanks and more thanks! to all the contributors on this project. It is amazing and very rewarding. And we have just done the version V0.1 of box… hehehe

We will continue spreading the project and trying to help with the next developments.

We will try to record some videos in the next weeks. Please, excuse the low quality of the photos. Mobile phones…

All the best!

8 Likes

Cme UF5 Zynthian

After x hours with the dremel I finally got Zynthian installed inside my good ol’ CME usb keyboard.

Only thing I could wish for is a 3d printer frame round the screen…

Hardware:
Raspberry Pi 3, Adafruit 5" hdmi, Audioinjector soundcard, Prototype4 wiring.

I have all pots “directly” wired to gpio (no all in one module), thus only the two lower pots have switches.

12 Likes

It’s really a nice Zynthian “Case” :wink: Congratulations!!

KUDOS!! You beat me to it! Beautifully executed design! I’ve been working on this exact thing for the last week. Mines a-lot different however.

2 Likes

@hit3c, I’m looking forward to see the results :wink:

1 Like