The Zynthian Kit v4 has been released!

Of course … :+1:

Zynthian V4 Kit unboxing video being uploaded to YouTube now. Will post link shortly.

So here is the link to the Zynthian Kit v4 unboxing video.

7 Likes

Because of the way balenced inputs work you can put in an unbalanced source but you’ll have drop of 6dB compared to the same balanced input, and greater chance of picking up interference.

1 Like

Does the Zynscreen have a block diagram or schematic?
I want to see how the encoders and new buttons are mapped to the MCP23017 IO I2C expander that is soldered to back of board.
Is it wired same as the All In One board circuit schematic? Since connector only uses 26 pins , the INTA (pin 36) and INTB (pin 37) are not present. Were other GPIO used for interrupts?

1 Like

Hi @mjkirk12!

This is the scheme for the Zynscreen v1.4:

https://wiki.zynthian.org/images/4/40/ZynScreen_v1.3.svg

It’s almost the same than v1.5, except for the fingerprints for the new switch buttons, that are connected internally to the 4 pins of SW-1.

I will upload the updated scheme ASAP.

Regarding the pin 36 and 37, they are free unless you decide to solder the extra MCP23017 to the zynaptik circuit for having 16 extra GPIO:

https://wiki.zynthian.org/images/9/97/Zynthian_zynaptik.svg

Regards,

Hi @ricnev!

Thanks a lot for the video. It’s a very nice contribution to the project! Really!
I’ve already added the video to the wiki, blog, website and ecommerce …

I’m looking forward for the second part … i hope you enjoy the assembling session! :grinning:

And please, don’t doubt to ask if some step is not clear enough in the wiki’s tutorial.

The best!

2 Likes

Thanks for the video!
It seems that adding S1 - S4 onto my Zynthian…

… isn’t going to be as straightforward as I want it to be. :slight_smile:

1 Like

was wondering if this has been asked before:

what is needed to upgrade a v3 kit to a pi4 with the new peripherials?

must be everything new?

1 Like

If you watch @ricnev’s video above, you’ll notice that the new switches are built into the latest ZynScreen. I am led to believe that a new ZynScreen is necessary for adding the switches…

The membrane switches require the new board, However.

I believe the required I/O pins are available on the recent boards ( My allinone has them and that’s well old…) so you can add your own switches with a little ingenuity.
I 'm sure there will be pictures somewhere . . .

I wondered about the same thing and would like to do exactly that myself, too.
The assembly tutorial v4 however tells that the four switches are internally the same as the pins on “SW1” on the back side of the Zynscreen 1.4 (can’t find the place I read this though). So we can still do this to achieve a similar thing: https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Adding_Extra_Switches
The 1.5 Zyncreen however obviously makes it easier to attach the buttons. We v3 upgrading people need to find some buttons and case placement etc ourselves :wink:

1 Like

I think you will find examples of every form of button you can think of out there.

I go for these but I don’t know if they fit in a standard case so ,please, do check.

Mounting & interference are your first concerns and then it’s really best to strip the machine down to just the case if you are going to unleash a metal drill on it.

Decide how you are going to connect to the board once you have worked out which pin of the 5 is the 0V that needs to be connected to all the switches with the other switch connection going back to the individual board connections.

Put insulating tape on the case to mark the spot(s) and drill a pilot hole first!

remember measure twice, drill once.

and I will be expecting a :face_with_monocle: when it’s done.

1 Like

Yes, the I/O pins are available in older ZynScreens and latest All-In-One modules, so most of you could add the switches …

The best!

1 Like

I’m absolutely new to Zynthian, but since I was part of the Linux Audio Community ages ago, I immediately bought the v4 kit after I became aware about it. What an incredible fun machine. Thanks for the hard- and the software :slight_smile: .

ce

20200729 - Zynthian Einzelteile web

6 Likes

This is very exciting. I just bought one! When will it arrive? I live in the US.

1 Like

My experience is usually around 2-3 weeks. Probably by ship, then to customs and then to one of the us carriers. so forget international tracking. (I’m waiting too)

2 Likes

Mine was less than two weeks, from Spain to Germany.

ce

1 Like

Mine took 10 days, Spain to UK.

I like how the new case has a cutout for a ribbon cable in the front. It must be a sign that were getting closer to adding the options to the Zynaptik module.