Using Midi Record to record layer + layer

Hi,

A few years ago I was able to use the Midi Record feature to create music layer by layer. I would record a percussion track, play the track and record a bass track the midi recording result would be percussion + bass, I would then play that track and record rhythm guitar or piano, play the percussion + bass + rhythm track and add the lead track. The final midi recording was the midi file with everything. Eventually my PI 3 couldn’t handle 8 tracks that contain high rate sampled instruments so I upgraded to a RPI4 + Hifi Berry DAC+ ADC

I can no longer create music the way I did. If I play a midi file while recording another the second track notes play and stay on, all at once. Is this a new known bug ? This is my current Zynthian Configuration:

ZynthianOS: Built on os.zynthian.org
Timestamp: 2020-09-05
Optimized: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus

Kit: Custom
Display: Pi 7 Touchscreen Display 800x480
Soundcard: HifiBerry DAC+ ADC
Wiring Layout: DUMMIES

zynthian-ui: stable (b2f6a7)
zynthian-webconf: master (868c14)
zyncoder: stable (d852c8)
zynthian-sys: stable (aefaf9)
zynthian-data: stable (f71259)
---------------------------------------

I attached the midi file
broken.mid (1.3 KB)

I just tried it again… just sf2 drums, sf2 timpani, and sf2 trumpets… worked fine.

I’ll keep an eye on it, maybe it was the LinuxSampler synthesizer track I was using.

SF2 seems to be fine. I will check ZynAddSubFX too.
result was fine with SF2. here’s the result

I am able to duplicate the problem. I was using my midi record method to build a song… started out with a ZynaddsubFX Bass/Analog Bass line for the first looped recording, added another loop containing SF2 Red Zepplin 5 drums. What I do is play the 1st midi file and record the next and it will contain the bass and the drums. Next I played the bass and drums track while recording a midi file that had the ZynaddsubFX Fantasy/Space SynthBrass… while recording it sounded fine. When I played the midi file that contained the Analog Bass, Drums. and Synth Brass the sustain of the SynthBrass appears to be stuck on.

Should I upload a an audio file or are you familiar with the bug ? Do I need to patch something ?
Thanks.

Sounds like an interesting way to put things together. Any problems with latency creep as you add tracks?

It seems as eminently sensible way to use the device, adding audio tracks as the cherry on top ! :smiley:

Submit a bug report is probably the best way of defining the problem.

Any idea what the events on MIDI channel 3 are?

I am using a SSD USB3 storage device on the Pi4 instead of an SD CARD. I have a WOLDE Easycontrol 9 mapped for the play/record select/back etc. So far it’s been fine.

I will pay attention to what events are on channel 3.

Thanks

I was able to duplicate the channel with one channel. It appears to be a sustain event issue.
I configured the Tricerotops/Brass/Trecierotops#1 synth… played 3rd octave down… created a synth bass line. All done with channel one. I recrorded a simple bass line and when I played it back it was a sustained mess.

Sound Fonts work, I haven’t had a problem there. I tried the sequencer and had the same issue
try sequencing a loop with ZynaddsubFX Bass/Analog Bass or Tricerotops. Same issue

Does it duplicate the effect on another MIDI channel?
i.e. Can you produce the same mess on MIDI channel 6 ( for instance)…?

What is your master MIDI channel set to. ? More to rule out the MIDI control stuff, but it’s worth a thought.

If you are getting the same problem in the sequencer then that points outside of the MIDI record side, but if you go throu’ the Bug Issue Tracking questions then we should be able to get it down to a sequence of steps that produce the effect.

Do you have a spare SD card? If so burn a completely clean stable version from scratch and see if you get the same problem. If that still fails try updating it to testing and see if its an issue that has propagated.

I’ve not tried MIDI layering like this having concentrated on Audio looping but I will give it a go .

Are you looping the MIDI in the zynth from the loop play option or are you letting the recordings run full length and play every bit repeatedly?

Yes it occurs on all midi channels but not with all soft synthesizers.
ZynAddSubFX/Bass/Analogue Bass and Tricierotops are ones.

I will try another SD card. I am actually going to move everything to a USB 3.0 attached SSD.
That should be quick.

I think you are using the stable build. Try the testing branch to check the issue hasn’t been resolved. There was an issue with hanging notes that we fixed but I don’t know if that had been deployed to stable yet.

1 Like

I will try it today. I ran into the same problem last night with the Hammond B3 emulator Upper Keboard / Blues configuration

1 Like

I updated zyncoder to testing, tested with synth brass and it works!
I had the problem with many of the more complex instruments like the B3 emulator and this one Hopefully this bug fix got them all. he ZynAddSubFX /Cris Owl Alverez/synth brass is working fine with the test branch

1 Like

Triceratops works ! It’s looking like the bug you fixed took care of it. I’ll try another

1 Like

The SetBFree synth is working too! Now I can lay a blues track down. playing “Green Onions”

2 Likes

I was just playing around with the Zynthian Zyncoder testing branch. It works, Riban fixed it.
If you are quick with the midi play/record buttons here’s the result. I think I’m going to add midi foot switches, I think that will work well. Right now I usse the WORLDE Easycontrol 9 and Arturia Minilab buttons and knobs.

4 Likes

Cool! Sound like we need to deploy the fix to stable. We are due to do another stable release soon. Thanks for testing.

2 Likes

@Jerryn Recording multiple MIDI layers with a zynthian is something I’ve wanted to do, and it looks like you’ve managed to do it fine here.

So far my efforts have merely ended up with everything playing through 1 instrument. I’m probably getting something really basic wrong. First I set up a few layers (lets say Piano SFZ, drums SF2 and bass SF2). I then go to the midi recorder and record the first pass (say a drum beat on the drums layer). I then switch layers and try to do a bassline along with the drums (play the earlier recorded drum midi file and record my live playing for the bass, but both the pre-recorded drum track and the bassline I’m trying to record all come out on the bass instrument.

Any guidance on how you’re doing it or what I might be doing wrong?

First go to the Admin Menu and set the Zynthian to Multi-timbral mode
I also enable Program Change ZS3
I think you have Stage mode enabled and that’s going to play everything through 1 instrument.

1 Like

Am pretty sure that’s it… need to switch to multi-timbral. Hopefully give it a go this evening. Thanks!

Also make sure you are running the testing branch.