VST player

Hello eveybody.

I’m not a programmer, I’m musician and composer who loves this kind of colaborative projects.
My dream will be run some VST over Zynthian platform. (I use a lot in my audiovisual show and I hate the freeze computer problem!)

OK! I know that Dexed is running. I love that! But, what about to install other synths, drum machines…?

At this time, I’m soldering my first Zynthian but I’m really lost into the software set-up… I will read slowly the post :wink:

Thanks.

Hi @Mister_Carrington!

Welcome on board! … and good luck with your building!! :wink:

Zynthian can run VSTs using the Carla Plugin Host, but you need the VSTs compiled for RaspberryPi and Linux. It can’t run VSTs compiled for windows or x86 platform.

So, you can send an email to the creators of your favourite VST plugin and ask for a RBPi compiled version. Perhaps if they receive many requests they can consider doing it :wink:

Best Regards!

Hi @Mister_Carrington!

Here is an incomplete list of engines and plugins included in Zynthian:

http://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Zynthian_Supported_Synth_Engines

More plugins will be added very soon, when integration of MOD-UI is ready.

Regards!

Thank you very much for the keys. I think I’m understanding the project a little more. I come here from the punch cards computers!

Well. A probably silly question. May I start more than one ZynAddSubFX instance? It seems to be enought synth for my needs. But I would like multitimbral.

:smiley:

Hi @Mister_Carrington!

ZynAddSubFX is completely multitimbral. You don’t need to start several instances for this.
Anyway, we are working to have several engine instances running at same time. This feature will be implemented very soon :wink:

Bes Regards

Poliphony, multitimbral, aditive syn, subs syn, wavetable… Wet dreams on VST.
At this time I’m a Zyntian believer.
Thanks to all people who makes this possible.

A really big list of people!!! Thanks to all the Free Software Community!! Really!! :wink:

@Mister_Carrington

VST is a nice plugin interface but mostly used on i386/amd64 instruction sets. You can use (free and commercial) VST plugins with Linux, but only on PC hardware. On Raspi you need plugins compiled for armv7 - I don’t know about any commercial one. There are some open plugins (like Dexed, or all JUCE based plugins) which have support in the sources for VST, so you can compile them by yourself on the Raspi.

But VST has some disadvantages. For me the biggest disadvantage is that VST is Steinbergs idea - also you get the SDK for free the interface is not open!

So: IMHO the “best open” interface seems to be LV2. But I don’t know much closed software which supports LV2. But this is no problem, because there is very much very good open software around!

I think VST will not be as good and big on armv7 like in the commercial world on i386 - so don’t be too fixed on it :slight_smile:

Regards, Holger

Dar, Holger.
Thanks for your explanation.
I’m Cubase user from Atari times…
I have work with Silicon Graphics, Apple and PC but my knowledge doesn’t go so far than advanced user.
I would like to work for the group in some items but programming or develop SDK and Linux knowledge are far away from me.
I wait for your proposals.
Thanks to all.

@Mister_Carrington

I also worked with Cubase on my old Atari ST :wink:

Everyone can help: It is definitly very helpful to discuss about all points of such a system. Also testing is very useful. Writing and checking documentation (=>Wiki?) or showing the own build process - so much to do :slight_smile:

With the upcoming MOD-UI everyone can create complex patches. We are working on implementing MOD-UI - but we cannot say exactly times when we are ready, sorry.

To make some “more” directly on the hardware you may really need some knowledge about Linux and the used audio system jack and LV2.

I must say that I am working with Unix nearly 30 years - but the complete audio background I learned the last 6 month with Zynthian :slight_smile: So give programming a try…

If you are interested in creating plugins (for various formats - also VST, LV2,…) you should take a look at Faust - a functional programming language with lots of math :slight_smile: Or take a look at PureData

Best regards, Holger

Thanks for your kindly words.

Today I have found this marvellous synth in Linux format? Because I haven’t finished yet my unit, somebody would like to test this freeby with Carla? https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&tl=es&u=https://www.amazona.de/freeware-synth-tyrell-n6-v3-03/&usg=ALkJrhghEZ39r_1lDIGd67NNdFL7nH7iKw

Thanks!

Sorry, the direct link is: https://www.amazona.de/freeware-synth-tyrell-n6-v3-03/

Hi @Mister_Carrington!

This synth is not available for Linux. It’s not free software (free as in “freedom”) . It’s “freeware” that is a completely different thing (free as in “free beer”). We can’t get the source code and compile for Raspberry Pi, so it can’t be integrated into Zynthian. Sorry :expressionless:

Anyway, i’m pretty sure that you will be very satisfied with ZynAddSubFX :wink:

Hi @Mister_Carrington!

Perhaps you could try to speak with the author of this plugin, explain a little about Zynthian project, etc. and try to convince him to compile a Raspberry Pi Linux version (LV2 if possible). This would be a really good contribution!! :wink:

Thanks José.

OMG! Really sad. I use Tyrell VST in my current windows set-up.

Well, the life is not easy.

By the way… Somebody has tried to be in contact with Rob Papen? I have his contact in my FB and I could try to comment him the Zyntian Project. At this time he have some synths discontinued… :wink:

Please, let me know.

Please, try to contact him, comment about the project and see if he would like to contribute with some of his wonderful plugins. It would be a nice contribution! :wink:

@Mister_Carrington

you know Rob Papen? Wow! :+1:

Waiting for the answer :slight_smile:

Great!! Cross my fingers :wink:

Good morning everybody! We have the answer:

“Cool project Juan!
We have no products available for it.
Is this box already out? What are the cost of it.”

I recontact him ASAP :slight_smile: