Working with pure data

I did post some audioclips above in the thread.

I’m in the process of adding some drum samples to the patch and creating a way to select different sounds for each of the three drums. Once done, I’ll post a demo so you can hear the sounds. It will probably take me several days to find the time to complete.

Sorry I wasn’t nagging and I did listen to the audio you posted, it was the ongoing process I was interested in .

I’ll upload some more rhythm samples later today.

Here it is (lovely stringer, bass from noise mak3r, and grids for the beats):

4 Likes

And lil’ bit different one (same instr set):

3 Likes

Hi @ronsum!

I just added your wonderful “grid” patch to the zynthian collection.
BTW, I’m enjoying a lot with it :wink:
I hope to see more features very soon … jeje!!

Thanks!

2 Likes

Exactly! At least one of the useful features will be changing the timbre (or cutoff/resonance, or pitch) of each sound. That’s what will make the patch even more interesting.

I would like to see MIDI tempo sync, and basic MIDI transport commands (play/stop) :wink:

BTW, i found this:

Zynthian already have a very basic Jack Transport support, but it will be improves in the near future, so it seems the way to go :wink:

Regards,

2 Likes

All I did was take the rough port of Organelle/MI grids_Pd posted earlier in this thread by @martindunne and added controls to work better with zynthian. The original author of PD-grids posted it on Patchstorage and it says License GPL 3.0. It is my understanding we can modify and distribute without permisiion as it is completely free, or am I missing something? There are other Organelle patches I am planning to integrate for zynthian use to and I want to be sure it is okay before proceeding.

1 Like

Hi @ronsum!

It’s perfectly OK!
Of course, you should include a copy of the GPL3 license, or a note in the README file. And you must give credit to the original authors. As pd files are generated, an AUTHORS file in the project folder could be a good place.

Regards,

1 Like

Hello @jofemodo

Thank you for the advice. I will add those items with my next upload, hopefully finished very soon. I will also rename it to grids_zynth. I’ve added a FM mono synth that can be triggered by the beats, and a FM mono synth triggered by a midi keyboard. Also adding sampled drum sounds. I will look into the MIDI tempo sync and transport commands when time allows for a future update. The timbre change features recommended by @sm7x7 may be added in if it doesn’t eat up a lot of resources. I would like to keep this patch as light weight as possible to allow other synth engines to run at the same time.

1 Like

Here’s the revised pure data file. I just finished trying it out with a MINILAB keyboard. The FM synths are a bit crazy and somewhat dreadful at times. However you come up with some interesting patterns just twiddling the controllers. Those who don’t care for experimental synth sounds can use the drums only for more traditional music compositions. I’ll try to post some sound demos once I get use to this patch.
grids_zynth.zip (276.5 KB)

2 Likes

Updated in zynthian-data repo.

Quick test with the drums and synth. So fun!!!

P.S.: Another suggestion - add rhythm shuffle :wink: and a bass freq synth :wink: Man, that’s neverending fun indeed!!

All you do - sit and turn the knobs!! :smiley: What a fun… Wish to have three times more knobs for this one… :smiley:

Hey, why not some little classic from Mr. Tchaikovsky!! Yeah! :slight_smile:

(Piano: Bluethner from Pianoteq,
Strings: of course Zynth own Stringer,
Bass: NoiseMak3r,
Drums: you’ve got it! Grids_zynth! )

3 Likes

Hi! Funny demos!! I added them to the wiki list:

https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Zynthian_Sound_Demos#Multi-Timbral_.2F_Multi-Layer_Demos

BTW, what synth/preset did you use for the 2 first samples?

2 Likes

Just sporadically rotated the knobs, nothing certain. Of course, the Random option at the maximum :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was testing a little bit and certainly the fun is endless, my friend!! Congratulations @ronsum !! You will be responsible of many moments of happiness!!! :star_struck: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

There are a couple of features I included that are somewhat hidden or least not obvious.

The first is the on/off&rnd seq controller. When set to “0” the drum loop and random sequence synth are off. The FM midi synth will play when triggered from a midi keyboard as it is always “on”. Set to “1” to turn on the drum machine. set to “2” to turn on the random synth. Slowly moving to “3” and “4” can change the sequence timber depending on the settings selected with seq carrier and mod freq controls. There are quite a few steps inside the “2” to “4” range. Try this: set seq carrier freq and seq mod freq to around 10. Now slowly move the on/off&rnd seq knob from “2” to “4”. It should sound a little like a lowpass filter sweep. Or tune it to sound like a bass.

The second effect occurs when the snare is turned to zero beats. It will display “1” but decrease it as far as you can go and it will stop triggering the snare. Now turn the seq carrier freq and seq mod freq knobs.You should hear the osc frequencies change in stepped notes only while turning the knobs.

I’ll add instructions to the README file the next time I post and update, as this is a work in progress.

2 Likes