ZynFace: CV/Gate + ThereMIDI

I just realized that my development environment has the analog connections reversed and current version on testing has too. I mean, webconf’s analog numbering is reversed, so when you select CV channel 1, you are selecting 4, and so on.

Let me fix it …

Regards,

That’s a :face_with_monocle: if ever I saw one :smiley:

Press on the link in the icon if this makes no sense.

Hi @tsab!

Do you have a zynaptik v1 customized or a zynaptik v2?

Regards,

Hi @jofemodo

I have zynaptik-2 module

thx

Ok, I totally butchered my board like this !!

And the zynface now fits in my euro rack nicely :smiley: even if the zynaptik is just hanging around out the back (see the picture)

Now I am stuck… I am using a pi foundation 7" screen, so none of the settings below seem to be correct…

What should i set this screen to ?

I have tried as follows, but when I do, my zynth wont boot / errors

I will try further to debug, but i wanted to check my settings were as they should be first

I got it working!!!

Some input docs.

https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Adding_Extra_I/O_with_the_Zynaptik_Module#Configuring_Zynaptik_for_Testing_21.2F08.2F2021

Hi @jofemodo! I eventually found time to build my ZynFace today but am a bit stuck without a build guide. I guessed (with some reference to your drawing and videos) that the connectors all point out of the silkscreen side as well as the 3.5mm sockets and that is where I have soldered them. I also put the 90 degree connector pointing out of the board (over the silkscreen outline). I have soldered the DIL pins to the more populous, non-silk screen side of the VL53L0/1XV2 boards which I assume is correct so that the laser sensor points out when it is plugged in.

Assuming that is all correct, what way are the VL53L0/1XV2 boards plugged into the Tof1 & Tof2 sockets and what is pin 1 of the 40-way DIL header?

I have got this working.

Here is the board fully populated and connected via ribbon cable to Zynthian.

Here are the ToF sensors installed.

It works! (Now that I have plugged the cable in correctly :blush:.)

The ToF sensors are fun but could be more useful with some extra configuration. Currently the adjust the configured parameter from one extreme to the other but we may wish to change the range, polarity, etc. For example, assigning CC 1 to TOF-2 results in full-scale CC1 applied when the sensor is idle (no blockage) and tends towards zero as the hand gets closer. This feels the wrong way round but highlights that we should have more configuration here.

There is a lot of noise on the TOF sensors, i.e. they are constantly sending commands. There should probably be some noise filtering and/or hysteresis.

I am yet to find / buy / build any 3.5mm patch cables but look forward to connecting to my SH101.

2 Likes

Nice work.

I intentionally pointed some of my connections on the other side of the board, because of how I wanted to fit in my eurorack. I wanted the wires from the Dupont connections to be tucked away around the back. I will be using these to add some extra ins/outs and controllers at some point. Alternatively, it might just be that I put the jack sockets on the other side. I can’t remember to be honest…

But it was intentional. :joy::ok_hand:

(Edit: looking at your pics, I mounted the jack sockets the other side)

Yep! I considered that but am not sure yet how I will use the GPIs.

1 Like

So I think I have everything working bar analogue… Anyone managed to get some analogue ins/outs working, yet?

I have analog in’s working… 4 pedals generating CC’s

Through the zynface or not?

Just the zynaptik

i got analogue outputs working!!!

when i run :-

i2cdetect 1

I noticed that i have i2c devices on 21, 48 and 60 as below :-

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- 21 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 48 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: 60 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

and after many hours of scratching about, i finally decided the way forward was to edit /zynthian/zyncoder/zynaptik.h

and change this :-

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// MCP4728 Stuff

//Default config for Zynaptik's MCP4728
#if !defined(ZYNAPTIK_MCP4728_I2C_ADDRESS)
        #define ZYNAPTIK_MCP4728_I2C_ADDRESS 0x61
#endif

to this :-

// MCP4728 Stuff

//Default config for Zynaptik's MCP4728
#if !defined(ZYNAPTIK_MCP4728_I2C_ADDRESS)
        #define ZYNAPTIK_MCP4728_I2C_ADDRESS 0x60
#endif

once saved, I ran :-

./build.sh

in the same directory to recompile the code and install it, and following a reboot, I can completely convert D to A!!!

another small step for zynthkind!!!

Hi @MrBroccoli !

You are using the a zynaptik-2 or a customized zynaptik?

Regards,

@jofemodo hey dude… i am using the one you soldered and sent me :smiley:

let me take photo… 1 sec

Here we go :-

Oooh… And while we are here… What are the midi port connections called please? They look like some kinda jst to me, but I’m not sure which and I would like to run them to 3.5mm sockets if I can :wink:

OK! You have a customized zynaptik-1. I will fix the configuration for allowing both versions to work.

Regarding the MIDI conenctors, they are JST-SH 4 pins. You will find lot of providers on Aliexpress :wink:

Regards,

1 Like

Does that mean I can run a none custom one on 0x61 as well? Imagine all the ports! :joy::joy::joy: Thanks mate :wink:

1 Like