Zynth club. .. There's just one rule in Zynth club

Another night of nonesense but with a twist - there was a lot of talk about Zynthian!!! Of course, like so many things you had to be there to enjoy it - no, really! I can’t remember most of what we said so these notes are mostly links to web stuff we mentioned.

• 64 is twice as good as 32 - isn’t it? 64-bit Debian 12 (Bookworm) based Zynthian is getting a lot of interest and rightly so
  • The audio player is very different and some say, much better. I demonstrated many of the new features
  • We nearly, almost, saw a new club member! Please do come along. We need you to spice up the discussions.
  • It turned into a bit of a book club at one point with recommendations for “The World in Six Songs” and “Corporation Man”. Both look like good reads.
  • Is there a place to share and hear truely open and free music? Most sites that may have previously offered such a service seem to now be kinda record labels, tauting their members’ material for paid contribution. Not just free but open so that anyone can use the music in any way they wish.
  • Daisy Seed seem to be trying to obfuscate their hardware designs in a bid to protect against imitation but it is not clear that such efforts are effective.
  • Various efforts to build hardware controllers by various people have led to various amounts of frustration but also the consideration of how that compares with commercial products including QLab and Avid.
  • Avid’s control protocol may be used in DAWs but not in hardware controllers which makes it a one-way street that, although may be nice to include in Zynthian, it doesn’t match the Zynthian ethos.
  • We had a demonstration of Chorda. It looks like some fun but we are yet to see / hear how effective it is as a musical instrument. We look forward to hearing more in the (near?) future. (We have discussed in the past.)
  • It can pay to go pot-luck in the auctions… One of our friends picked up a bargain Hydrasynth - although it may need some maintenance. Goodbye weekend!
  • What happened to Zynthbox? The question was asked but it is quite quiet on that front. There is still progress on their github so we hope our friends are progressing towards success.
  • We celebrated new family members and thought about absent club members.

It was actually quite a full night of discussion, little of which made it here so do pop in next time to experience it I.R.L… but virtually!

2 Likes

Well that all sounds fun. When is the next one?

I thought there was a protocol.

Good. You have passed the test. Nice to see someone was paying attention.

1 Like

In light of riban’s recent accusation of competence I feel it in necessary for us to gather, once more, in a unruly heap and demonstrate, suitably, via jamulus . . .

Lets examine this planet from the perspective of latency …!!

Tuesday 7:00 26th March GMT or UT if you are that way inclined. @riban will probably dish out tickets with his normal efficiency…

I can see you have diligently adhered to the protocol and as such, I support your motion for a meeting at the requested time.

Well done.

Well… this is a bit confusing isn’t it? @MrBroccoli suggests zynthclub. There is an exchange of handshaking and @wyleu suggests a Jamulus session. @MrBroccoli accepts the handshake for Zynthclub and the two go their own merry ways…

Shall we have a normal zynthclub on jitsi and experiment with jamulus during the meeting or should we have a jamulus session or should we do both on seperate days?

Anyway - I can’t make it on 26th. I will be travelling home from the metropolis having attended a 10cc concert the previous evening.The things we do for love!

Boy are you going to get some feature requests…

We can probably arrange Jamulus sessions on the Jamulus thread and keep this one for zynthclub.

1 Like

Revisionist! We had a protocol and it was working… Now you want 2 protocols?

2 Likes

Yes.

Apologies folks I can’t make it tomorrow.

Neither can I (as previously stated).

It is probably worth waiting until I push some fixes to jamulus before we test it. I will do that later this week.

I can make 19:00 UTC on Tuesday but I will have to bail after 1.5 hours as I have another commitment.

We need to update the protocol to deal with the issue of "someone requested a time slot and then cancelled’.

As @wyleu has bailed, and @riban is not around to “start the room” I dunno what to do, and as such, I might just pub instead.

Sorry if you got up early for nowt @pac_71

Anyone can ‘start the room’, you just need to sign in to github. I can start it but not until 20:30gmt

I was finally starting to feel indispensable…

I’m usually up about now anyhow and have a login with Jitsi so I can start the room for future reference.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that is right when I am leaving so catch you next time.

buona Pasqua

happy Easter