Zynth club. .. There's just one rule in Zynth club

Another heart has made the trade,
Forget it, forget it, forget it,
I donā€™t understand how a heart is a spade,
But somehow the vital connection is made.

Iā€™ve edited the meeting countdown timer and added some features hoping it will help our good friend @wyleu in his quest to join the next meeting.

5 Likes

Hello is that Acme?

Iā€™m looking for a Mr Coyoteā€¦

Retiredā€¦?

How soā€¦?

Industrial injuries,ā€¦? Thatā€™s sadā€¦

Does that mean his equipment is available for hireā€¦?

It is? Goodā€¦

Youā€™ll send the catalogueā€¦?

My nameā€¦?
Wyleu,
Mr Wyleuā€¦
Zynthian towersā€¦

4 Likes

4 Likes

I think I may have figured out what @wyleu coyoteā€™s connection issue isā€¦ misplaced brand loyalty!!!

2 Likes

Once more we gathered around our microphones, spread across four time zones (five if you include whatever twighlight zone @wyleu joined :wink:) and discussed a wide variety of subjects and - breaking news - that included Zynthian!!! In no particular order we:

• Invented a hardware keyboard split device consisting of a credit card or beer mat stuck between keys not dissimilar to how Keith Emerson wedged knives into his keyboards.
  • Reminisced about old games consoles - and of course how to build a Zynthian into their defunct cases. (Apparently gaming jumped straight from Pong to Elite with nothing of merit in between.)
  • Colourful buttons that you press to make sounds and how one is wending its way across the world to a north west province of the land down under. We all look forward to seeing and hearing what @pac_71 makes.
  • Can @freeKey persuade @wyleu to design and build him a button panel to change patches in his classic organ style project and when will it look like this?
  • Not all 3.5" touchscreens are the same. Some donā€™t (seem to) work on RPi4. (This one might.)
  • Apparently not every project involving a Raspberry Pi makes music.
  • Synthstrom make very pretty and apparently rather good (if a touch expensive) sequencers.
  • Of course a night wouldnā€™t be complete without a brief soirĆ©e with zynseq and zynmixer updates - there isnā€™t really any - someone has been too busy renovating sash windows.
  • @ronsum is waking at unearthly hours to check notifications on availability of TSynth (also discussed here. Beware - you donā€™t get all that you see but looks like a fun way to while away some hours.
  • We have promises (or at least press-ganged offers) for a couple of show-and-tells next week including @ronsum building a new toy (I wish I had noted down what it is but all the more anticipation)
  • We had a live hacking session where our youngest member was convinced to install malware on his Zynthian (only kidding @freeKey). We found bugs and work-arounds. We had live Zynthian configuration session. We understand sub-snapshots a lot better including their limitations (and bugs). It was fun to help each other fix issues and see someoneā€™s first foray into the innards of their Zynthian.
  • We found other bugs and workarounds (of a sort).

I donā€™t think we have had such a Zynthian-centric Zynth club meeting before. It was fun but did take us towards (or past) midnight. I am not sure how much fun @freeKeyā€™s neighbours might have thought it as he demonstrated his success with sweeping organ renditions :smile:.

No vegetables were harmed in the making of this programme.

6 Likes

Thanks again for all the help and effort. I might have had some rtfm moment now and then, but anyway it really helped looking after things together. My subsnapshots are now ready for tonightā€™s little gig, yay!
Btw: What a lovely expression ā€œsubsnapshotā€ is to test someoneā€™s soberness.
And donā€™t worry about my neighbours :joy:

5 Likes

Good luck tonight. We will all be rooting for you.

1 Like

Ok, Ok, I was involved with work . . . :frowning:

Ahhh hard at work, just as we suspectedā€¦

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks for your words ā€¦ i love to invent words in languages i donā€™t master and get native speakers to accept them! :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Not that Iā€™d be a native speaker, nor mastering myself :joy:

Well then, little off-topic for a moment:
First public gig appearance of my Zynthian done and went incredibly well. :star_struck: :star_struck:

(please excuse the not-so-sharp picturesā€¦)

Twas a small jam-session-like gig of a Funk collective in a pub. Audience was far from as small as we had thought it would be in corona times, great atmosphere as well.
The Zynthian was responsible for providing a solid Hammond organ, which it did perfectly. I mean, I have loved setBfree for almost ten years now, but almost never heard it that loudly. Often a sound heard way more loudly brings its minor flaws and insecurities more to detailed attention. Not for this organ, rather this is just powerful thrill.
I also had prepared for delivering some leadsynth soloing, but it didnā€™t quite fit anywhere on yesterdayā€™s set. Next week, I suppose.
Yeah, you reading correctly: Same thing once again next tuesday nightā€¦

There also happened some nice little things on the side:

• Some people asked about this little box, especially one guitarist seemed quite interested (having a rather large pedalboard of analog effects on the floor himself). Of course I didnā€™t contain myself spreading the word about Zynthian.
  • The drummer and band leader had claimed the piano seat for himself before I arrived, so a pub chair had to do the job. But he bursted into laughter when I completely ignored the acoustic piano at the side of the stage and - rather than using it as an instrument - I placed a midi keyboard, the Zynthian and some quirky cable salad on top. :grin:

So, in case my appreciation hasnā€™t become clear to this point: This setup really proved itself nicely working and very well sounding. Will definitely do it again lots of times like this!

11 Likes

@freeKey Now you have mastered the Zynthian, I look forward to the live streaming of your next gig :>

3 Likes

Saw this, figured you could use it

@freeKey, you HAVE to contribute with a video playing hammond (setBfree) in one of this jamsā€¦ this is a big:

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I think that we can forgive @freeKey this time for not recording at a first event after lockdown when he was still preparing snapshots and learning how to use subsnaphots into the early hours of the morning of the gig :sleeping: . He even managed to cope with bugs (since resolved) but next timeā€¦ there will be no excuses accepted :wink:.

2 Likes

@riban You are too generous :rofl:
And thx again for all your help with the preparations!

@jofemodo This honour :pray: Iā€™d really like to, letā€™s see what will be possible.

Btw: In the meantime we got booked for a proper gig at the end of september in the same location :grin:

1 Like

Hi @freekey!

What are you using for setBfree overdrive? The integrated overdrive is far from good and i would like to know if you tested some of the available overdrive plugins with setBfree ā€¦

The problem of using an external overdrive is that it would be located after the rotary in the FX chain ā€¦ but you can improve this by not using the integrated rotary and add it as a separated plugin, that is also available (same code!), after the overdrive.

Regards,

Nothing yet, I play it clean for now. But yes, I have on my list to try exactly what you describe, we also discussed it at one of the club meetings.