Zynth club. .. There's just one rule in Zynth club

19:00 UTC today.

A quiet night, gathered around the fire, toasting our chestnuts and eventually, after most had gone away, putting the world to rights - but that is beyond the scope and rules of the clubhouse so will remain apparent only as long as a couple of aging brains retain the info… that may not be long!

As has become the norm, the appointed clerk was not appointed nor anointed and hence the old adage, “You had to be there” is most appropriate. But we did discuss:

• The Yamaha Montage, its recent discounted price, its hardware and software platforms - speculating to what these may be
  • Digging a secret tunnel between your basement and out-buildings to reach your rehearsal space more securely
  • Keeping your powder (or 3D printing filament) dry
  • ESP32 modules with screens and peripherals like this
  • Building BLE MIDI devices using ESP32 can be simple or challenging, depending on the board and it takes a lot of power which conflicts with the ‘LE’ in BLE.
  • Can we get ChatGPT to write Zynthian software for us?
  • There were sneak previews of Zynthian development - special service for those who attend these prestigious events
  • Probably for the first time, the US offered more participants than the UK with AU equalling the UK but the rest of the world (including our European friends) were not represented despite aspirations of the contrary
  • How many MIDI ports is enough? (Zynthian currently supports 16 distinct ports which I could probably exceed if I plugged all my kit into it but am unlikely to want to do that!)
  • Could / should a future generation of Zynthian use the Raspberry Pi Compute Module? It is often considered but dismissed due to various reasons including its lack of interface hardware, increased friction for hobbiests, etc.
  • How can electronic musical instruments like Zynthian and riban modular be more accessible to all users including those with impaired sight, reduced mobility, etc. This includes temporary reduction in access, e.g. broken arm.
4 Likes

I missed it because I had another meeting. :frowning:
Regarding Compute Modules, It’s not like CM4 modules are easy to get in the UK at the moment anyway.

I have been away but …

Christmas special die hard santa mince pie wonderful life holiday edition ZYNTHCLUB on wednesday 27th Dec at 1900 ZMT anyone ?

Sounds good to me. Now I have a machine gun. Ho-Ho-Ho.

that is tomorrow, btw

I will be there.

Can’t wait to see and hear what Santa has brought everyone.

What a wonderful night finding out what delightful presents Santa delivered to our Zynthian community. Rainbow straps and speaker stands. Foot pedals and MIDI controllers. Hexagonal keyboards and BLE watches. These are a few of our favourite things.

We heard of:

• Injuries sustained on a bikewhen rail meets road and subsequent delights if care in a provincial hospital in a poor foriegn country.
  • That hexagonal keyboard looks like this and this - those buttons would look good lit up. There are aspirations of adding Hall effect sensors to add dynamics to the buttons.
  • Observations of world events including blocked passages
  • Is Vince Clarke losing it?
  • Will this NanoPAD editor suffice or will someone modify the Python based editor written by @riban for the nanoKONTROL?
  • There was a special Christmas bonus for those present (and on time) of a sneak preview of the developments happening in Zynthian.
  • Live hacking did not quite implement new features within the time of the meeting but shortly after the addition of previous/next loop selection in Sooperlooper was added (in dev - may arrive in testing soon) which may allow footpedal to select loop. (I had it working until my footpedal died - bad Santa!)
  • There were some exchanges of stories on personal injury - typical old-man-stuff!
  • The pros and cons of smarter watches were discussed, e.g. the ability to add your own OS / code but the small UI. There are aspirations of a Zynthian connected control and monitor watch…
2 Likes

The previously unheard of idea of a “Mickey Mouse Watch” was also brought.

PSA. If you have sudden hearing loss. Get it checked as fast as possible (ie head straight to the doctor or emergency dept) as some remedial treatments are very time sensitive (like only effective for the first 72 hours). Only mentioned as I did not know this and I have recently encountered more than one case of this happening.

2 Likes

Must be time surely…?

1 Like

Time that you followed protocol.

Always up for a chat. What suits people?

The usual (traditional?) 19:00 UTC on Tuesday works for me. I’m generally open re time except for Monday 10am-noon PT, Wed 2-4pm PT, Fri noon-2pm PT.

Really? What is the protocol?

1 Like

MIDI 1.0.

3 Likes

It’s like looking after a bunch of nursery kids. No one willing to make a decision. Tuesday 23rd January 2024 at 19:00 UTC it will be. That’s tomorrow for some of us… at this point in time - MARK.

2 Likes

Last Zynth club, with @riban taking charge. . .

3 Likes