Zynthbox, a new project based on Zynthian

Hi harrytuttle,
Currently I dont have touchscreen, so I use a regular hdmi computer monitor (1080p) attached to RPi 4B (2GB), USB computer keyboard, Novation Launchkey mini mk3.
Zynthbox looks great, promises a lot, though feels a bit sluggish at moments, but I guess the experience is more suited to Zynthians with touchscreens.

Yes, alpha version is super rough, but beta will be optimized and overall more polished. With beta release, we will also look into our final form for then upcoming RC/1.0, as we plan for a certain, zynthian like formfactor rather than fullscreen. But of course it should still work with big screens and mouse too, just optimizing mouse+key is bit different than smaller screen+touch+encoders :slight_smile:

The main navigating problems I have:

1. VNC doesnt work, neither using zynthian config page nor using VNC software. Cant check VNC option inside Zynthbox - does nothing.
  2. USB keyboard behaves erratical: good on most pages, so-so on main page, unusable on module installation page - I cannot move the selector down because it keeps jumping up.
  3. mouse kinda works, the gui reacts to clicks but cant see the pointer even though I checked “enable cursor”

Looking forward to the release of the beta version. I agree with most of what is written here. You are doing a great job harrytuttle and everyone else who is working on it. Keep on going! At the moment i am using a rpi4 with 4Gb and an HDMI touchscreen of 1024x600 with power and touch over usb.

1 Like

released another alpha version before the beta, here is announcement:

1 Like

I was about to post about a little beat box / console project im designing with the goal to be a secondary groove box and also my musical coding station for pure data / sonic pi / super collider / orca . I was going to ask the forums here if its possible to get into the GUI of those tools mentioned to write scripts and edit code using a zynthian box. it seems youre able to add plugins and programs with your tool.

basically, i want the functionality and groovebox feel of the zynthian box but also expandability and openness of patchbox and want to combine them. i love the command prompt feel of the patchbox too

im new to the linux world, so any suggestions on how to make this possible are greatly welcomed.

It is possible to bring up ‘patchage’ using ‘novnc’ under the webconf of Zynthian. Then you can watch the diagram change when you do Zynthian functions. This also suggests other ways to use various programs in Zynthian.

I realize this may bring up questions, but since I’m answering a post from Nov 2022 in March 2023, and I don’t know what ‘level’ your knowledge of Zynthian, webconf, and Linux is ‘now’ I wanted to give a brief reply and see if you’re still interested or even ‘here’!

Remember that we recommend this only be done for test or sound design and that VNC be disabled during (critical) performance to reduce the resource usage and hence risk of xruns (clicks on output).

There is a bug in Patchage (at least the version we use) whereby it silently stops working, leaving the graph displayed but not updating. I often chase my tail trying to resolve an issue then realise that I need to restart Patchage. This can occur quite frequently. I have not had time to investigate whether this issue is reported/fixed upstream. It is a handy tool but not a core Zynthian dependency.

2 Likes

Revive this topic?

The last reply to this topic was 12 months ago. Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list and notify anyone previously involved in the conversation.

Are you sure you want to continue this old conversation?

Yes, and if it cannot be revived, perhaps at least bring it to a conclusion of sorts, a “finale”, if you will.

@harrytuttle and-or @leinir are you still here on the forum? If so, dare I ask, is there still a beta on the way? Do you have an update on the status? Perhaps an Alpha 3? Or is there a story about what happened? Anybody? @riban ? @jofemodo ? @wyleu ?@discobot ?!?!

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Hello there, and yes, i’m still here! Perhaps not very active here on the forum, but yes, i’m still here :wink: We are still very much working on it, and thanks for the poke and the understandable concern. For now, you can as always see our progress over on the github, and in particular the two top repositories should give you an indication that we’re not exactly twiddling our thumbs - Zynthbox · GitHub - Thanks again for the interest, and i hope this gives you the feeling that as much as we’ve been radio silent, it’s not because the project’s died or anything like that, just that we’re heads-down working on the thing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you - that is good to hear! I do still have questions, most notably re a new test image, but I will accept radio silence. I hope we will hear more from you before another year goes by.

I’m glad to see this project is still trucking along. I’d like to use this as the enclosure :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like