Zynthian from scratch made by ToFFmashines

Hi @ToFF!

Congrats!! Your zynthian seems close to finish …

If it can give 2 Amps in a reliable way, it should work. Please, put attention to the cable. It’s as important as the power supply. If voltage drop on cable is big, you will have problems. The RBPi needs 5 V, not less.

Regards,

1 Like

Ohhh yess! It can do it! @riban’s linked the thread where we discussed this some time ago:

1 Like

Yes, I read this and also I find description of Overview for the Pi 4 [USB on Raspberry] (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/usb/README.md)
where is this text “The OTG hardware present on previous models of Pi is still available and it has moved to a single connection on the USB-C port. The OTG hardware is intended to be used in device-only mode on Pi 4.
For this way :: Raspberry 4B USB-C <–> USB hub :: I’ll try it with correct cable. I tested USB-2 cable with reduction on USB-C but zynthian only flashing on diods, the screen is black and not connection by ssh.
Thank for all recomendation to @riban and @jofemodo
stay tuned

2 Likes

Hello all,
I can report successful OTG connection of Zynthian to my midi setup.
For correct wiring I used this:

• Y cable USB 3.0-A/Female ->USB 3.0-A/Male connected to USB HUB
    ->USB 2.0-A/Male connected to power source 20W

• cable USB 3.1 C/M - USB 2.0 A/M, Super fast charging 5A, conected to Y cable and to USB-C connector of Zynthian (Raspberry 4B).

Znythian is conected to PC under name “MIDI function” as can see on figure from Bome Midi Translator. I quickly tested also output form Zynthian and is working.

4 Likes

Fantastic! Could you share references for buying all cables?

Thanks!

@jofemodo and all zynthian’s fans

The cables I buyed on local e-shop in Czech Republic, so I finded links with description in English.

OTG Connection of Zynthian

First cable is Y cable of Delock producer - description is here [83176 Delock Cable USB 3.0 type A male + USB type A male> USB 3.0 type A female] (https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_83176/merkmale.html)
Conection to Zynthian is made by cable with posibility wiring high power - it is made by Czech producer PremiumCord, I find description in english here [PremiumCord Cable USB 3.1 C / M - USB 2.0 A / M, Super fast charging 5A, black, 1m ] (https://www.krup.cz/default.asp?cls=stoitem&stiid=6952)

Two import details and recommendations:

• Zynthian must be connect by USB-C port which has only and one hardware support for OTG from all USB conectors on Raspberry Pi 4B
  • Power charger with 20 W is connected to red port of Y cable

It is crazy, after 3 weeks of playing with Zynthian I’m writing advice. And my Zyntian is not cased still. Now I testing setup with AKAI EWI USB and FCB1010 (modified by UnO2), results I send to Using Zynthian category.

Stay Tuned.

3 Likes

Can you tell us about the TriplePlay…?

@wyleu I can say that Fishman TriplePlay is working now. But I’ll be more and detaily tested it and I 'll describe my experiency after.

1 Like

Hi to all Zynthianist,

do you know where is set name of device, when is conected as OTG host? In Zynthian is this set to “MIDI function”. I have two Zynthians connected to USB hub and I need different names for they.

Hi to all Zynthianist,

after many of hours of mindstorming, drawing, war with COVID and other life thing happens… yes I have test panel for my Zynthian twins now.

Zynthian twins are:

• Raspberry PI 4 4Gb with HifiBery DAC+ADC and ZynthianOS
  • Raspberry PI 4 4Gb with Behringer UMC 404 HD and ZynthianOS
  • Raspberry PI 4 8Gb with (Behringer UMC 1820, must buy) and Patchbox OS plus instaled SooperLooper and Midish. (ok this is cousin )
  • will be in 19rack box 3U high
    Suggestion for more cool name for this setup are welcome.
7 Likes

Whoaoooo! uhuuuuuhuuu! This is an impressive setup!! Congrats!! :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
I will be waiting for the photos when it’s sitting down on his 19rack home!!
Also, you should be thinking about the unavoidable :face_with_monocle: you will be asked for.

All the best!

I’d like to ask you for an unavoidable :face_with_monocle:

TWINTHIAN

:couple: :zynface: :zynface:

5 Likes

Hi @jofemodo ,

i find first problem.
The left ZynScreen doesn’t woking. Don’t flash at power on. The right ZynScreen do it and is working. I looked on UI Log but not find any error message. Can I do other diagnostic by different way?

@wyleu OK, but the way to working system will be long…

@Baggypants TWINTHIAN sounds very good.

Don’t worry, treat it as confirmation not a duty.

Today I picked up next templates from other supplier

2 Likes

I made other test of left ZynScreen, which is still with black screen. I changed Zynthian to test mode for working VNC connection.
The Zynthian is fully working when I connect from PC by VNC.
And more, the encoders connected to ZynScreen are full working, so I was able conntrol Zynthian but I must see on PC monitor.
Conclusions is, ZynScreen is not functional, dont show UI and is black, dont generated any error message, but encoders are working.

@jofemodo Pleas, have you any recomendation for correction of this fault?

Yes. I could send you a replacement :grin:
Have you tried swapping both screens? It could be a wiring issue.
Also, have you checked the 2 jumpers are on the right position?

Regards

Thanks, I’ll send you PM about this.

Yes, I swapped both screens with different cables. Jumpers on both ZynScreens are at same position. But one screen is still black.

Please, who will tell me what font is used for the zynthian logo.
I tried to find it in github but unsuccessfully or I can’t.