ZynthianOS: the upcoming Zynthian SD image

Aruk is “Aran + Anuk”, my 2 little girls, that have been my inspiration along the last year :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve just loaded up the above image.
It seems at first glance to be functional (it loads, it plays … :-))

So we are getting closer.
Any particular areas I should be focusing on?

We don’t see any attached audio sample to prove this. Could you provide it please?
:rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

I have just been in a meeting about release and regression testing, coincidental to this topic! It may be useful to have some form of test pack, even if that is just a list of elements to test. (Trusted) users could report success of each test case. You may not (yet) be too enamored with the prospect of formal release testing but trust me, it is really a good idea. It has the capacity to reduce the post-release support burden.

2 Likes

This !!! Lots of this.

Present issues which prevent me satisfying Axeman’s gentle request ( I will deal with him later . . . .)

1/ Record function won’t stop from GUI ( only way to kill it is reboot from webconf)
A sound recording is generated but it’s got a lot of silences in it, actual zynthian audio is ok)
2/ Can’t ssh onto box ( connection reset by peer)
3/ Wifi can’t be turned off (others can)

The lack off ssh makes fault finding a little difficult. Perhaps we could have some form of grip of death or key hold on start up to bring up a terminal to allow you to get onto the box and do stuff in this sort of circumstance.

2 Likes

I’m trying to fix this problem, but it’s solved quite easily … simply regenerate the keys from webconf :wink:

OK, of course that’s the problem.

Can’t seem to get any error message out of the Audio record not stopping but it locks up the GUI.

Today’s image is better:

https://os.zynthian.org/2019-04-09-zynthianos-stretch-lite-1.0.0.zip

It solves some problems, include some nice improvement and has more plugins enabled by default.

Please, after burning the fresh image, follow next steps before starting testing:

• Access Webconf > System > Security and regenerate the keys
  • Update to get latest fixes

IMPORTANT: I’ve added some directories to the $PATH:

• /zynthian/zynthian-sys/scripts
  • /zynthian/zynthian-sys/sbin

So you can run most of zynthian tools and scripts omitting the full path :wink:

Enjoy!

This error is confirmed. I’m working on it … :wink:

Regards,

OK! The problem is solved now and … btw, i solved the problem of “clips & crops” during recording, Recording is working perfectly now! :wink:

Enjoy!

1 Like

GO @wyleu, GO! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Due to a poor solder joint my zynth back button went beserk (now fixed) and with its random selections managed to start the audio recorder without me knowing. (+1 for wyleu’s previous request for indication of recording in status bar,) The /root partition filled which gave an error on next login. Luckily I could still log in, diagnose and fix the issue but similar conditions on other gnu/linux boxes have rendered the device fairly useless. I have noted advice from jofemodo and others to avoid recording to the internal sdcard (root partition) and I concur this should be avoided. Not only because of the risk of filling the disk but also to reduce wear on the flash media which has limited life. (I have had several uSD cards fail on me with fairly limited use.) What do you think of the idea to inhibit recording to internal storage and only record to USB connected storage? There may be use cases where recording to root partition is desirable and so maybe it could be a configurable option.

1 Like

It’s a “user option” already :wink:
You plug a pendrive and zynthian will use it automatically. If not, SD card is used instead.

Regards,

3 Likes

It should be the new “title auto-scrolling” feature. It’s also commited to master, so if you update your “Gorgona” based zynthians, it should be the same.

Curiously, touch is working perfectly … :thinking:

I will fix it ASAP :wink:

I grabbed a passing wyleu minor and got him to play something. . . .

Recorder on host SSD and I can’t see any gaps. . . :smiley:

…starts looking around for something blunt to ‘visit’ Axeman with . . . .

6 Likes

Build a zynthian into an old AX-7. To create an Axz and go chopping.

1 Like

Oh @wyleu, don’t bother yourself so much. You can find something here (well… not so blunt, maybe, but there’s a reason why I have AXEman as nickname :dagger::hocho::dagger: )

Now if only I remembered where I put that Colt magazine…

2 Likes

When I say blunt . . . . . .

1 Like

Oh… I live near a nuclear plant… a Fat Man more, a Fat Man less… :smiley:

3 Likes

I note that zynthainOS github does not have issue tracking enabled. May I request that we include some audio device firmware in the image, e.g. midisport-firmware?