MicroDexed - DX7 to go

Man… sooo relaxing. And the sound of you pressing keys adds a bit of atmosphere!
Thanks for sharing! Cheers! :smiley:

I like it a lot when I hear the fingers of the guitarist sliding on the strings, the breath just before the note of the saxophone, the bow over the string of the cello…
I like to feel the human presence inside the musical work…
It’s not always sensible in electronic music…
I try to add mechanical noises inside my presets, to make them more natural… just like Modartt added hammer and sustain pedal noises to their virtual piano sounds…
but when they really are natural, that might be even better…
That for your pleasant comment…
Have a good night…
Thierry

3 Likes

Hi @opus.quatre

that’s sounds so cool!!! Thanks for sharing!

Regards, Holger

P.S.: Would you liketo share your created voices so I can add them to the default banks?

1 Like

@C0d3man sure I will…
I mainly have focused on electric pianos, trying to approach Pianet T’s beautiful sound… Wind instruments to use with it without breath controller… and basses… A few electric organs, rare synth sounds… There are several presets almost identical, with slight differences, I will make a selection and send it…

4 Likes

Another air recording of microDexed, this time controlled by MRT Breath Controller…

Personal preset ; Coleman BC… Onboard reverb ; Freeverb…

MRT breath controller is developped by Murat, in Turkey : www.facebook.com/mrtelectronics/
Have a good night…

4 Likes

Hi Thierry,

many thanks for sharing - very cool! I need a breath controller, too!

… and I think the “BC Reverse” option is working as expected :grin:

BTW: MicroDexed (dev) has a USB-audio-output. I have problems to get it to work with Reaper, but with AudaCity is works really good for recording!

Well, I just hope you’re not, like me, a long time smoker, because this doesn’t help…
I used the BC normal, not reversed, mode… I’ll tell you more in private message…
I’ll try with Audacity… Thanx for the tip…

Ideas for a possible logo…

2 Likes

I hope we do not get problems with Yamaha :slight_smile:

Very cool!!!

Oh… Yes… Of course…
I’m surprised, btw, the Dexed is allowed…

Yesterday, I tried another possible design for a logo… Less Yamaha-like, less 1980s…
The Ds become operators, and the Es and X become some kind of routings…
Here are a few options…

(Btw… This will also have the effect to push the topic on top of the list… eh eh…)

8 Likes

That look’s beautiful and reminds you of a circuit diagram - fits the whole project. I liked your previous designs as well.

Thanks a lot - perhaps we need them soon, when I am ready for version 1.0!

Regards, Holger

2 Likes

Seeing how fast it’s been improving those few last weeks, this means pretty pretty soon…
In my opinion, the last ones are too complex, too long to be called logos…
And the halfmoon D operators look very much like Preenfm2 logo… maybe not a good idea…
Maybe yes, as it creates some kind of link inside the FM FaMily…
téléchargement

1 Like

Pushing the thread upwards…

Line recording, using Reaper…
Only one instance of microDexed…
But I have been forced to use a LP filter because I have a very loupd background white noise… Maybe something wrong with my build…
Delay and reverb are microDexed built in effects, no extra processing…
Hope you’ll enjoy anyway…

5 Likes

I have successfully compiled MicroDexed but am stuck with micromdaepiano. The failure I am getting is:

C:\Users\chris\Documents\Arduino\libraries\micromdaepiano/midi_devices.hpp:349:3: error: ‘Serial’ does not name a type

Serial.println();

^

C:\Users\chris\Documents\Arduino\libraries\micromdaepiano/midi_devices.hpp:352:1: error: expected declaration before ‘}’ token

}

And the block of code causing this error is:-

void handleSongSelect_MIDI_DEVICE_DIN(byte inSong)
{
handleSongSelect(inSong);
#ifdef SHOW_DEBUG
Serial.print(F("[MIDI_DIN] SongSelect"));
#endif
#ifdef MIDI_MERGE_THRU
if (configuration.midi_soft_thru == true)
{
#ifdef MIDI_DEVICE_USB_HOST
midi_usb.sendSongSelect(inSong);
#ifdef SHOW_DEBUG
Serial.print(F(" THRU->MIDI_USB_HOST"));
#endif
#endif
#ifdef MIDI_DEVICE_USB
usbMIDI.sendSongSelect(inSong);
#ifdef SHOW_DEBUG
Serial.print(F(" THRU->MIDI_USB"));
#endif
#endif
}
#ifdef SHOW_DEBUG
Serial.println();
#endif
#endif
}

I’m a relative newbie & have been tearing my hair out with this one - any help gratefully received.

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks for trying! I have to say that I havn’t touched the MicroMDAEpiano code for the last months, cause I have worked on MicroDexed.

I will take a look at this tommorow and come back with a solution. I hope to get the newer MicroDexed version ready soon and will backport some cool features towards MicroMDAEPiano.

Regards, Holger

Hi Chris,

Let’s see:

• Do you copied all libraries from the folder third-party into the library-folder of the Arduino/Teensyduino library folder? (I think YES because you should get other errors when this was not done)
  • Check in the Arduino-IDE menu Tools if the USB-Type is set to Serial+MIDI or Serial+MIDI+Audio
  • You can also comment out line 75 in config.h:
    //#define SHOW_DEBUG 1 (but this is not the root cause of your problem)

I am using Arduino-IDE 1.8.12 and Teensyduino-1.51 on Linux. Works out-of-the-box… I think your USB-Type is not correct inside Arduino-IDE.

Regards, Holger

Hi Holger,
Thanks for fast reply.

• Do you copied all libraries from the folder third-party into the library-folder of the Arduino/Teensyduino library folder? - Yes, I have done this

• Check in the Arduino-IDE menu Tools if the USB-Type is set to Serial+MIDI or Serial+MIDI+Audio - I have set it to Serial + MIDI

• You can also comment out line 75 in config.h :
    //#define SHOW_DEBUG 1 (but this is not the root cause of your problem) - I tried this and compile fails with exactly the same message

I am using Arduino-IDE 1.8.12 and Teensyduino 1.51 on Windows 10 . I am using a Teensy 4.0 and I think that may be the problem as when I changed the board to Teensy 3.6, it compiled OK with no errors. Strangely MicroDexed compiled fine for the Teensy 4.0 and is producing the default piano sound (I have ordered encoders & LCD to progress with the build). I have a Teensy 3.6 arriving on Friday with its compatible audio board so I can install micromdaepiano on that.
I suspect the problem lies in the Board support package for Teensy 4.0 but I’m not sure how to report it to Paul Stoffregen, but I will have a go.

Looking forward to progressing with build on both projects.

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris,

Ah, ok. MicroMDAEPiano currently isn’t tested on T_4.0. With T_4.0 USB-MIDI might not work - I am not fully sure. So try to only use Serial (and no USB-MIDI or USB-Audio). AFAIK Teensyduino for T_4.0 currently does not yet support USB-MIDI and/or USB-Audio.

Regards, Holger

MicroDexed on Teensy 4.0 compiles and works fine with USB Midi+Serial. As you say, USB Audio is not yet supported. I also tried compiling for a Teensy 3.2 and got the same error.

Chris