MicroDexed - DX7 to go

Free yourself from a lot of swearing :wink: and install Autodesk Fusion 360 (itā€™s free for hobbyst and startups).
Blah blah talk about not open source big company cloud storage proprietary format blah blah, but itā€™s a fantastic tool, and you wonā€™t regret doing it (just remember to save local copies if you want to work offline, and to export designs in more open formats if you need them)

Thanks for the hint!

Hmmmā€¦ this is certainly a great software but it is not available for Linux. Also I might want to use the created objects commercially.

Apart from that, I always have an extreme aversion to rented software (which I need for commercial use).

Regards, Holger

With (wellā€¦ almost!) the same approach but a little more swearing than Fusion, FreeCad should match all your requests :slight_smile:

https://www.freecadweb.org/

3 Likes

I have installed FreeCAD and I think this wil lbe the way to go for further development. Thx!

4 Likes

BTW, the new Zynthian suitcase has been designes with FreeCad :smirk:

3 Likes

Hello thereā€¦
A few weeks ago, I have been enough to catch a nice aluminium ā€œprofileā€ before it goes to the recycleā€¦

Itā€™s curvy shape seemed to me the ideal one to make a box for an electronic DIYā€¦
And the elected project has been my MicroDexedā€¦

I went to an ā€œatelierā€ nearby, asking the guy to cut off some unwanted details, cut out a window, and reduce the lengthā€¦ and make a real bent panelā€¦

The rest, I did by myself, with wood, drills, paint and wax, with more or less success, but still Iā€™m happy with the resultā€¦
And today, the (almost) finished machin has been plugged to an amp and played for an hour or twoā€¦

For now, Iā€™m running the stable version of MicroDexed, but when I get used to it, and it gets used to work, then I will install the dev versionā€¦

The thing is (question to Hodger) ; I would like to add a power switchā€¦ Is it as simple as removing a jumper, and plug the switch in its place ? Or is it more difficult ?

And I will have to buy new encoders, as the ones I have are too short for those beautiful grey and grey knobs, which are rescued parts coming from an Icon Logicon keyboardā€¦

Have a nice day all of youā€¦
Thierry

17 Likes

Very handsome case indeed! :+1:

Wow! Thatā€™s a very nice case! Very cool!

Thanks for showing!!!

I have a question about the whole Dexed thing. The last update on Dexed upstream was a few days ago. The last update on lv2 native Dexed was a few years ago. Is the lv2 port actively merging upstream improvement (with the recent upstream checkins all being gui-related, and so irrelevant to the fork), or has it gone unmaintained?

When I saw those checkin dates I was a bit disappointed that apparently it was a one-shot, do and drop thing, but now that I see that thereā€™s development on yet another port, I wonder if itā€™s not the case after all.

No negative overtones intended, but if I have to choose between an actively maintained upstream and an abandoned fork, Iā€™d rather lug my notebook around to run the upstream.

• ps. On another note, I donā€™t think Freecad is worth the effort. It was apparently designed by people who have never seen a modern CAD app in their whole lives, and are VERY unlikely to be mechanical engineers of any kind. Have a look at BRL-CAD, it sometimes seem as if it came from the '80s by time machine, but at least itā€™s a real CAD. :smile:

No, it is not unmaintained. As you mentioned, there were mostly fixes for the UI which was completely removed for the lv2 version of dexed. Also the complete JUCE environment was dropped. From time to time I am checking for relevant commits and implement them if necessary.

Can you tell me which port this is?

I am currently working more on the MicroDexed port (Dexed on a Teensy uC). There are some bug fixes I have to take to lv2-dexed. Mainly fixes for the MIDI implementation and for portamento.

No problem for me :grin:
My current lv2-dexed fork seems to work fine and there were no changes for the sound engine in upstream: no commitsā€¦

Regards, Holger

1 Like

A week ago or so, I received new encoders, with a longer shaft, so that Iā€™ve been able to replace those from my microDexed and now I can use the knobs I wantā€¦

And also, Iā€™ve just added an aluminium pole at the front/bottom of the caseā€¦ Not that it was necessary, but it was obsessing me that I should do itā€¦

Now I believe that my microDexed box is finishedā€¦ I wish it could have some serigraphy, like ā€œbank/presetā€ and 'ā€œvolume/settingsā€ below each encoder, but Iā€™m sure I donā€™t have the skills to do itā€¦ The only thing I wioll think of; is to surround the display with something, inside the box, so that there is no ray of light visible around the display, when the machine is poweredā€¦
And also, play it as much as I canā€¦
Have a nice eveningā€¦
Thierry

8 Likes

Looks nice. You could add legends using a technique of printing mirrored text on glossy paper using a laser printer then pressing the paper on the surface with a hot iron to transfer the toner. Search the Internet for details but be careful not to damage your existing finish. (Test on a spare piece first.)

Whatā€™s the white keyboardā€¦?

Hi Thierry,

many thanks for showing! Of course you know that you are posting public inside the Zynthian forum and this means: :face_with_monocle: (:joy:)
Can you post some audio examples?

Regards, Holger

Hello thereā€¦
Thanx to @riban for his adviceā€¦ Of course, Iā€™m not much confindent in the painting I used (not made for metal) and I will avoid heating itā€¦
@wyleu, the white keyboard is a re-painted Oberheim/Viscount MC2000ā€¦ It was in a very bad cosmetic condition when I bought itā€¦ I adore this keyboardā€¦

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/clavier-maitre-midi-88-touches/oberheim/MC-2000/medias/photos/
And @C0d3man, yes, I know it is a public thread, butā€¦ I donā€™t know how popular is this excellent microDexed, but I know it deserves some attentionā€¦ So each time one adds a message in this thread, it is probably good for promoting this little piece of wonderā€¦
Posting audio will be done when I have no more extra-noise coming from the machine, which will happen when I have bought a better power supply and a long enough audio cableā€¦

Concerning my own built, I finally decided to replace the aluminium bar/rod by some wood, and itā€™s better for meā€¦

Less contrast, more softnessā€¦ A look which is closer to old furnitureā€¦ But in fact, I think I like the initial version better, without the rodā€¦

Have a nice dayā€¦
Thierry

2 Likes

Do you have a waveblaster soundcard inside the Oberheim? Scroll down to see the video of
someone adding one to itā€¦ https://www.serdashop.com/DreamBlasterX2

So you have a StudioLogic SL-88 as well? if I understood the french correctly
Me too. but my board went to hell, so that itā€™s a zynthian now :slight_smile:

@ B00t-eek Noā€¦ No waveBlaster installedā€¦ Yes, I know this video, and I have been hesitating about buying the sound cardā€¦ I will see in the futureā€¦ I guess that itā€™s the best, amongst a few waveBlasters available, but even then, not sure I need itā€¦

@mheidt Yes I have a SL88 as wellā€¦ and this summer, I decided to give him some wood, as I totally hated the thin plastick cheeksā€¦

It is second hand, and I had it for a bit more than a year when I decided to woodify itā€¦ ANd as soon as I had finished, then I saw the ad for the second hand Oberheim-Viscount MC2000, at a few kilometers from my homeā€¦ Since it was totally unknown to me, I went to try itā€¦ And since it was only 80euros, and it has big and real wheels, instead of useless poor microscopic joysticks, then I came back with itā€¦
I like my studiologic, itā€™s a good oneā€¦ But I really fell in love with the MC2000, especially because of its velocity curvesā€¦ But, on the other hand, The MC2000 doesnā€™t have an USB output, and thatā€™s a big lossā€¦

I donā€™t know what you mean ā€œMy board went to hellā€ā€¦ The big defect of the SL88 is its display, which dies very rapidly (at least on the older models), and mine is almost deadā€¦ ANd if anyone knows which screen I should buiy, and how to replace it, how hard it is and so on, this would help meā€¦
But ā€œMy board went to hellā€ seems to indicate another kind of issue, I guessā€¦

Have a good eveing you all and all of youā€¦

4 Likes

Hello to all confined peopleā€¦
Happy you are, cause you will then have time to test microDexedā€¦
I mean, those of you who ordered, received, built, and forgot itā€¦
Holger is working hard on improving his code, and the thing is getting better and better each dayā€¦
But he needs your feedbackā€¦ And what is good, is that you have time, those daysā€¦
Have a nice dayā€¦
Thierry

4 Likes

ā€œAir recordingā€ of microDexed, with a Samsung cellphoneā€¦

Personal Dexed preset 'Tea Time", passed through onboard reverb ā€œFreeverbā€ā€¦

4 Likes