Hi @ll,

new software version of MicroDexed!!! Now we are at 0.9.4. Changes:

• replacement of the filter with a 4-pole resonant filter
  • much better internal MIDI handling
  • fix for software MIDI THRU handling
  • fix for USB MIDI
  • fix for SYSEX voice programming
  • added support for TGA board

New code can be found as usual at https://codeberg.org/dcoredump/MicroDexed . I also added a newer hex file.

Next steps:

• adding support for storing sound which were edited via SYSEX.
  • support for organizing banks and favorite sounds

Regards, Holger

2 Likes

It seems thereā€™s a difference in performance, depending on the data types used in calculations. Even at same CPU frequency.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=337653.msg3622619#msg3622619

Disclaimer: I didnā€™t do the testing nor do I know how or if this could affect MicroDexed, Iā€™m just fascinated by those cheap espā€™s and the idea of a pocketsize synth.

Hi @ll,

I just finished a beta version of the MicroMDAEPiano. Itā€™s not all perfect yet, but at least Iā€™m on my way to a usable EPiano based on the MDA-EPiano.

Whatā€™s new?

• Complete menu based on LiquidMenu for a 16*2 LCD and two encoders
  • Save and recall the saved settings in 99 memory locations
  • Using the Compressor/Bass-Boost/EQs of the SGTL5000 (sorry, support for other audio cards has been left behind for now)
  • Using the Freeverb of the Teensy Audio Lib
  • Parameters of the MDA-EPiano adjustable in the menu
  • MIDI-SoftThru: incoming MIDI signals are forwarded to other MIDI interfaces.
  • Maximum number of voices: 48

Comments:

• Currently most features are only available for the SGTL5000 audio card.
  • The menu is already prepared for a modulated chorus effect, but this is not yet implemented.
  • Unfortunately the sound is interrupted when changing menus or turning the encodersā€¦ to avoid this, i currently only have the idea to use a second uC for controlling the display - maybe later on
  • The volume ratios are not yet optimized. Distortions sometimes occur.
  • The SGTL5000 compressor isnā€™t really easy to use - Iā€™ll have to try it a little until I understand how it works.
  • There is no documentation how to build and what libraries are needed available
  • A suitable video is missing - hopefully I will make it in the next weeksā€¦

The source code is available at https://codeberg.org/dcoredump/MicroMDAEPiano . There is also a HEX file for the Teensy-3.6 stored, who doesnā€™t want to take the trouble to install all necessary libraries.

A sound demo (in combination with MicroDexed can be listened to at https://www.parasitstudio.de/).

Regards, Holger

1 Like

Hello thereā€¦ Just received my MicroDexed yesterday, and Iā€™m building itā€¦

And a nice day to all of you Dexedersā€¦
Thierry

5 Likes

Woaooo! Bravo @C0d3man! I canā€™t write a label so small and should use triple size stickers for zynthian kits ā€¦ :grin:

The best!

2 Likes

I bought several effects from Musikding where the resistors were labeld like this. I found this very useful and so I am doing this also for my kits (with my best magnifying glasses :joy:).

7 Likes

Teensy 4image

3 Likes

Fantastic!!! What kind of board are you using and where to buy???

You should try the dev-branch and change config.h for using Teensy-4.0 and (perhaps) PT8211ā€¦

Generic prototype board purchased on Amazon, Teensy 4 and PT8211 from PJRC, cheap encoders,DIN sockets, 6n138 and LCD from Amazon.
MicroSD board is from Adafruit.

Yes, Iā€™ll definitely try the dev code.

1 Like

Ah, okā€¦ looked like a kind of PJRC dev board.

Any success with the ready to buy kits? Iā€™d like to have oneā€¦ :slight_smile:

Indeed there are kits waiting for selling. And the software is already in a new state (letā€™s say beta). But the documentation for building is not yet ready (also itā€™s not so difficult if you can read a circuit diagram and look at some photos).

Regards, Holger

1 Like

How much, and how to buy it? Is PayPal OK?

I will send you a PM the next days.

Excellent!! Thank you!

Here are some pics of the new case: front and back are 3D printed, the side parts and lid are made of polystyrene. You still need aluminium profiles in which you cut M4 threads and a few screws.

11 Likes

Love the panels . . . How much cleaning up do the 3D plots take?

Thanks!

The front is version 4 and for the back I had 7 iterations :grin:

I am very new to 3D design, so I used TinkerCAD. Itā€™s very easy, but not very industrial-like. But you can design very fast and I am pretty happy with the result. BTW: I am using a simple chinese Ender-3 printer.

Regards, Holger

2 Likes

And how much cleaning up do the actual printed results need?

I print out, take the front panel from the printing bed and mount it. The countersinks for the screws are not perfect and in the screw holes a filament thread can hang, but actually you donā€™t need to do anything.