MIDI In - Through - OUT

Testing:

Always do a Visual check first
this can prevent much misery.

The test programs are meant to run on a standard Raspbian OS
as pi, in a therminal ( window )
they are written in python2 (zynthian uses python3).

The test is done at 38400 baud not on 31250 baud as in zynthian
31250 baud is not a selectable value on Debian-OS
the settings are complex to stand 31250 baud
the test can also be done at 38400 baud so we use for the convenience 38400 baud.
You can’t use a MIDI device as a test transmitter,you get only strange characters !

First we have to prepare our RPi to use the serial port
howto : look at MIDI on Hardware testing

If the RPi is ready
Open a terminal:
Run Tx.py

The RED led turns on everytime there is text sent.

Connect OUT to IN with a standard MIDI cable.

Open 2 terminals:
Run Rx.py in the first.

Run Tx.py again in the second
that gives the following:

Every time the RED led lights up, also the ORANGE (Through) and the GREEN (IN) lights up.

To test the THROUGH you need a second RPI that features a MIDI IN ( 2 in 1 for instance ).

1 Like

Hi @Imager!

Great work! Thanks for sharing! I’ve added your scheme and photos to the github HW repository.
What software are you using to generate these nice schemes?

Also, i’ve reorganized the HW repo, changing the directory structure and moving files from one place to other. Now the structure it’s more “per-module”, althought i’ve conserved some “global scope” directories.

Kind Regards!

Hi @Imager!
I have some 6n137 and 6n138. Do you think it is possible to adapt your circuit to work with that?

I’m having trouble sourcing H11L1 Optos in Asia, does anyone know if the 6N138 (or 6N137 or similar) would work in this circuit, as @Djeremaille ask above ? (sorry, my electronic knowledge is very basic !)

Cheers

Don

Hi @DonCharisma!

You could use this scheme:

If you want the MIDI THRU, then connect the RX to 2 of the spare TS inverters, just like the MIDI-OUT, and that’s all.

Kind Regards!

Hi @jofemodo

There’s a sparkfun page, which has the MIDI standards diagram for the circuit, they suggest 6n138 for midi IN

And inverter+inverter to act as a buffer/amplifier/signal smoother/protection for the UART, for the midi out and thru

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/midi-tutorial/hardware--electronic-implementation

So, I think your suggestion is closer to midi standards.

But I like the OPs idea of trying to fully protect the RPI UART with 3 optocouplers, it’s nicely over-engineered.

I’m back in Europe soon, so can pick up whatever I want. I also found a supplier for electronic components locally here who have either optos ICs, so I’m all set.

Hi @DonCharisma!

I completely agree with you. The Imager’s circuit is really elegant, and the H11L1 is smaller than 6N138, so you will get a better protection and a slighty smaller circuit board. I will use it in the next official PCB :wink:

Best Regards!