New Raspberry PI 4

I’ll open a bug for this; it’s just become part of the AudioInjector dance for me.

Hi…there’s now three different options for RAM size: 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB. Not really sure if RetroPie is gonna benefit from having that much RAM, but it’s nice to have nonetheless. (Note that the 1GB model will cost 35 dollars, the 2GB model will cost 45 dollars, and the 4GB model will cost 55 dollars.)
CPU is a quad-core Cortex-A72 running at 1.5ghz by default (a 0.3ghz upgrade, and total CPU upgrade, from the Pi 3).
Two of the front USB ports are now USB 3.0, meaning faster transfer speeds.
A USB-C port for power, instead of USB micro-B.
HDMI ports are now micro-HDMI, and there’s two ports!Power supply is now USB-C instead of USB micro-B. (The RasPi Foundation recommends buying their own power supply since there’s not many good USB-C power supplies out there)

pcb assembly

1 Like

Personally with my addiction to sticking zynthians in plastic ( and latterly aluminium ) boxes, I will be holding off to see what is produced in this sort of area as far as temperature stability is concerned.
I suspect but cannot prove that the designers gave themselves a certain amount of leeway in changing the layout of connectors as a once only step and what follows might have a lot of ongoing stability. I’m sure the mounting of Pi’s in industrial applications makes up a lot of their thinking but the considerable hobbiest market built around the existing Pi formats has demonstrated that simply letting a Pi float around on a desk is not how most projects go.

The considerable debates we have had about PSU’ and batteries are also rather null and void in the face of the 3Amp current demand. Personally I’m looking at Power over Ethernet with the interesting indicator of an attached fan, so once again more kit to cram into whatever box get’s considered.

There are also going to be a lot of ‘old’ zynthians that can be re-purposed as remote control panels :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear zynthianers !

Those of you, who already upgraded to RPi 4, please - share the experience. Are we stable enough to give it a “go” for live on stage performances ? How it behaves in terms of heating and xruns situations ? Do we need to attach any radiators and/or fans ?

Last question: what amount of RAM you recommend ? There are three options as mentioned above.

Thinking of making a separate zynth to keep the current one working.

3 Likes

I suppose when there is a Pi-4 case, the HiFiBerry may need to be raised up with a 40
pin extender so there will be room for a fan. I’ve been considering a Rack mount Version. With room for a USB Hard drive as well.

Hi @dhrupadiya,
I buy the Rbpi 4 with 4 GB, I take the maximum to be used maybe for retrogaming.
I think 2GB is the best deal, 1GB is maybe not enough to load many sound/soundfont.
I put radiators on it and put in the official Zynthian box, need to make bigger hole for power and USB.

I can not say for the stability since I just use as an hobby, for my use, same stability as Rbpi3 without xrun problem on Pianoteq for example.

For the temperature, I have 42°C when just started, after 2-3 minutes without make anything 54°C.
Loading Pianoteq rise the temperature to 56°C, playing the midi demo on the gui with 2 effect attached rise the temperature to 65°C.
After remove all layer, the temperature is the same, around 60/65°C, I think a fan is needed.

For temperature problem, I read that there is some works make by Raspberry team with a new firmware.

1 Like

There is a python library…

BUT:
Because Fan SHIM uses pin BCM18 to control the fan, and this pin is also used by I2S audio devices, you won’t be able to use I2S DACs like pHAT DAC, pHAT BEAT, and the IQAudio boards at the same time as Fan SHIM

Maybe this is enough AND quiet?

5 Likes

So, I ordered a Raspi 4 (4GB), a Raspi-4-Power-supply and the quiet case above. First test: LibreElec for my TV and a x265 encoded video: Great - it works! But the next day after using LibreElec for 5 minutes the TV was suddenly black.

I tried another SD card and another screen/monitor: No, nothing. The red and the green LED were on, but nothing happend. So I sent it back for replacing the defective unit. Today I got the new one, put it into the case and started LibreElec again: only the red LED was on and NOTHING happend. Tried also another power supply and SD card - no… nothing. There was also a small hint what to do if the Raspi4 won’t boot… no… seems like I got a DOA or the Raspi4 is not really as good as the versions before.

So I will try to get my money back and I am very disappointed about the new Raspi4.

Regards, Holger

Odd. My Rpi 4 4gB is fine. With official psu and fan shim… perhaps the case is the problem?

Holger,

I ordered this one (fan-less):

I had to do some modifications to fixate the ribbon cable.
But overall my raspi4 starts up still.
I haven’t done any temperature measurement yet.
My main issue is how to fixate this bundle within the zynthian box.

3 Likes

Let is know what modifications you had to do, how effective the cooling is with and without fans running and how you power the fans.

Hi Marcus,

seems to look the same as mine from Reichelt.The problem with the case is that it can cause short circuits if you are not careful. At least I think that’s what happened to me. When I order the next one, I will insulate some of the inner surfaces with transparent adhesive foil as a precaution.

How to get this block into the case? I have no idea… Maybe with enough power and a hammer? :smile:

Also a problem: How to mount the Hifiberry on top?

Regards, Holger

1 Like

I am going to order this

https://www.voelkner.de/products/408991/TOOLCRAFT-134753-Gewindestange-M2.5-1000mm-Stahl-galvanisch-verzinkt-1St..html?offer=0aa3c7cce28b18a4eb10177c389406bd

and replace the screws.

I am not stacking it anyways but using a bus…

1 Like

I am running the Zynthian now for hours and the temperature stays at 54°C.
I wasn’t playing it but did some development.

2 Likes

Development?
:star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

Nah, Just bugfixing. Which needs your merge btw.

1 Like

Oh, please get these things sorted, I have the Bechstein DG, too…

I am stuck in my Raspberry Pi 4 build for now. I bought the Joy-It armor heat spreader case @C0d3man posted a picture of, but I have no clue about building a new case around it…
It would be nice if the new zynthian case bottom for the model 4 would let me keep these metal blocks in side, maybe with a good fanless cooling concept if temperatures let me use it fanless…

Greetings and God bless, Marius

OK! Bechstein PR is merged and problem it’s solved now.

Regards,

I got a rpi 4 1GiB and it’s :heart: :heart: :heart: I’ve not properly put it in the case and it has no heatsinks at all but it seems to work ok. I need to file out those v2 case holes. I loaded in the Salamander Grand and that seems to work fine too. Although I know that LinuxSampler can stream samples from the disk.

1 Like