Odin 2 LV2 Synth

Yes this is required.

It’s worth watching the progress in the console with journal -f. It takes a while and the indication it’s still working is the webpage title tab displaying a waiting icon or using top on a console.

Yup, that did it. Didn’t know that was necessary for a plugin added by an update. Thanks!

1 Like

Odin 2 is really a monster sounding synth. Accordingly, it can be a monster processing load as well depending on module selection.

It’s amazing that the little Zynthian RBPi4 can handle it at all. With judicious module choices it’s quite a nice addition.

With the RBPi8 we should have full 24 voice polyphony. :grin:

Thanks jofemodo for your “unwise” behavior in adding this. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @Tabula!
The new presets are commited to testing & stable branches.

And you are now the official Zynthian’s “preset migrator” :wink:

Best Regards

1 Like

Do we require a flinging to confirm this…?
… And does he get a uniform…?

2 Likes

Maybe we should curate the sounds. Many of the factory presets won’t play on Zynthian due to resource limitations.

1 Like

I agree, maybe we should change all Poly presets to Legato or Retrig and One voice Unison. And delete all problematic presets like Vibraphone in Chimes Bank.
Use Odin as a mono synth.

If some people want to re-enable polyphony or Unison, they will be able to do so via VNC.

I think there are some polyphonic patches that work. I would prefer someone goes through each patch and disables any that fail (or tweak to make them work, e.g. changing to monophonic or reducing complexity).

1 Like

Rather contextual. I’ve had polyphonic voices that seem to work and then fail on single notes with Odin2 , and I’ve had monophoic voices that fall part almost immediately.
It’s CPU usage doesn’t seem linear in any fashion that might aid such a search.

Logging such events to a file that could be uploaded might be the most effective way of tracking these down.

it is quite difficult to know what is causing these “clicks” and XRUNS.
Of course, more than 2 voices in unison drains a lot of CPU. For most of the presets, I have already reduced the unison.

I haven’t looked precisely but too much “Release” seems to consume CPU

Edit : I just checked, and Presets with too much Release runs Clicks and Xruns.
reduce release and Xruns disappear
Is it possible to reduce possible amount of release that we can tweak with in zynthian?

observations :
causes of Xruns :

• Unisson Voice
  • Amp Env Release
  • no more than 2 oscillators . Adding a third OSC for some presets seems to cause XRUNS.

Possible enhancements :

• Change presets to avoid XRUNS (Change Release, delete OSC3, etc…)
  • Reduce possibility of tweaking “AmpEnv Release” parameters in Zynthian, no more than 0.40 or 0.50. Add the impossibility to go beyond 0.40 to be sure of avoiding Xruns.

The ttl could be modified to set the max value for a parameter. This is a soft limit, i.e. Zynthian would show the devices range but presets could be loaded with higher values.

I don’t like the idea of limiting Amp Release. How would we call this? ADSr??
The real problem is not release, it’s polyphony, the number of active voices at a given moment. It’s this what we should limit …

Regards,

2 Likes

:rofl:

Reducing the release of some polyphonic presets may allow playing with Odin without worrying about XRUNS.

It’s a temporary solution, that’s for sure! Reduce the release or put them in Legato (Mono mode)

But if there is a solution to reduce the polyphony, it would be even better!
I know that ObXD and NoiseMaker have the option to reduce or increase the number of voices. In the Odin interface, we do not have this possibility. It’s either “Mono” or “all polyphonic voices”. The manual says:

In the default mode Poly, you can play up to 24 voices

We could recompile with a smaller limit or even add a patch to be able to dynamically set the limit. Any volunteers?

1 Like

We could also ask the Odin2 developers :wink:

This would seem a more communal solution. I doubt we are the first to encounter the issue.

I opened a feature request :

Keep it as a GUI control if possible, otherwise we get all kinds of problems.

And this sort of thing can be used as a creative effect, by experimental types.

I was very impressed that the synth solo in Virginia Plain by Roxy Music was Eno turning the octave switch on his synth rather than playing the notes…

And D’oh… here’s evidence to the contrary . … .
It’s out there I know it is !!

1 Like

Yeah ! just turning the pitch can make a good solo without musical knowledge, just feeling !
In this repetitive ambient track, the “theremin” style solo behind the piano sample, I just going up and down the pitch of my minilogue.

Altostratus | Tabula Nul | Lost Dogs Entertainment

In Odin2, I like also the Ring modulator, if you just play with it you can make interesting sounds by just playing one note !