Stage / multitimbral mixed mode

Hi there !
Do you think we can have a third mode where channel one (the default one on many devices) act like Stage mode but all the other channels act like multitimbral ?

Best example yet : channel 10 will be used for drum device with probably a drum sound… and if you only have one other device where you can’t chose the channel your are screwed.
:thinking:

There are plans for improving stage mode like this, so you can select devices and channels for it.

Regards

2 Likes

Nice nice nice ! :star_struck:

1 Like

Hi @Wapata !

Please, change to testing branch (all repos) and update.

I’ve implemented a “proof of concept” of per-device MULTI/OMNI flag. It’s accessible from the “MIDI capture” option in the chain options menu. You can use short-select for enabling/disabling devices and bold-select for changing the device mode (OMNI/MULTI). It’s not persistent yet, so don’t expect this is saved in the snapshots.

For getting this to work you need the “Omni/Stage” mode enabled in the admin menu. It won’t work in multi-timbral mode. When the new feature is fully tested and approved, i will remove the option from the admin menu.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Arg ! I’m in travel for work, if the Zynthian can come with me, not all my devices can :no_mouth:

Well, if internet ai good enough I can try to change to testing branch at least…

Thank you !

Following with this development, I’ve implemented a new approach and i’m so satisfied that i’ve pushed it to testing so it can be tested by the community. You will enjoy! Here we go!!

First of all, global Stage/Multi-timbral mode is dead!!

I will repeat it:

GLOBAL STAGE/MULTI-TIMBRAL MODE IS DEAD!

The new approach is MIDI CAPTURE DEVICES and ACTI / OMNI / MULTI modes.

• Each MIDI capture device can be checked/unchecked for each chain (chain options => MIDI capture)

• Each MIDI capture device can be in any of this 4 modes:

• ACTI => Active Channel. MIDI events are translated to the active (currently selected!) chain, if routed. Zynthian behaves as Stage Mode for this device. It’s the default/initial mode for all devices.
    • OMNI => MIDI events are translated to routed chains, “cloning” the events to each routed chain. So you can have a given device assigned to one or more chains and it works not matter what MIDI channel is using the device or the chains. You can play several chains unison with this, etc.
    • MULTI => MIDI events are not translated at all. They reach routed chains that match the event’s MIDI channel. Zynthian behaves as Multi-Timbral Mode for this input device and the assigned chains.
    • Captured by the device manager (UI) (aka. used by a device driver to control some part of the UI, like the zynpad or mixer). It can’t be routed to chains and it’s shown grayed.

The first 3 modes can be rotated by bold-clicking. When a device is captured by the device manager, rotating modes and checking/unchecking is disabled.

Mode is global for a given device. I mean, it can’t be configured as OMNI for chain 1 and as MULTI for chain 4.

Of course, everything is saved in snapshots and also in ZS3s, so you can change your MIDI capture configuration with a tap!

I must say i’m very proud of this change, as it solve a lot of limitations, allowing zynthian to match a lot of new and complex use cases in a straightforward way.

I’m thinking of removing “Clone MIDI to” option, but it could be still useful under some scenarios. What do you think?

As i told you, all this is only available in testing branch, so if you want to test it, simply change to testing branch and update.

Enjoy!

7 Likes

I think it’s great, and that for that kind of changelogs, a little video multi-translated could make everything more easy to understand.

But yeah, my midi recorder need a finger combo at power up to be able to change the midi chanel… Problem solved.
I wanted to make a midi device for controlling one volume + mute + solo … It’s will now act better (for every selected chain) with the very same hardware !

GREAT !!

One question : if it’s into snapshot, what happen if a device is not connected, or when it’s re-connected but after reloading the snapshot ?

I am a newbie, but enthusiastic about my Zynthian v5. How can I try/load the testing branch? Calling Repositories from the WebCOn gave me: 500: Internal Server Error

Currently it’s not retried. You have to reconfigure by hand or reload the snapshot. There is room for improving, of course.

What do you think about “Omni exclusive” that when you tick it, it untick into all others chain ? Or maybe a bold click can do that ?
For the time you have 10 Chain and plug a new device …

Anyway for the reconnection of an USB device, I have to try what is the behavior on my Librazik mao system, maybe Jack can’t do that automaticly at all.

1 Like

You read my mind. I was thinking of this, but didn’t want to overload the functionality until having some feedback from users.

Regards

2 Likes

I’m in favor of keeping it, in a MULTI module it will be useful to define key split, note shift etc.

5 Likes

+1 - Please keep “Clone Midi to”.

2 Likes

I think you would be better naming them

ACTI as before, per actice layer.
ROUT you’re routing midi traffic to specific chains
PASS you’re not routing, it’s passing through directly to the chains.

2 Likes

I tried it in testing branch, but not with successful end. I made two synth chains (and one audio) where I set MULTI - Network MIDI-IN. Other midi were unchecked. From PC I send midi notes on channel one and two, but played only active channel (in mixer screen) notes from both incomming channels. In MIDI Log from ZynthMidiRouter Main was all notes on chanel one or two depending on selected channel.
Is there anything else that needs to be set up?

1 Like

Nothing. There was a bug in MIDI network routing. Now it’s solved. Simply update and test.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yep, now MULTI mode over net working.

1 Like

Hi everybody.
I was testing a tune using my MPC One as a sequencer and Zynthian as sound module, as i always did in stable mode. In testing branch i’m not able to see all the options in Midi Capture menu so it’s impossible to separate midi channels. It’s just like i’m working in a common Stage mode. I’ve updated of course, but there’s no difference.
This is what i have. No chance to have different midi channels. Any idea? Thanks!

You can change the “MODE” of any input device by “bold-clicking” it. There are 3 MODES you can choose:

• ACTI => Active Channel. MIDI events are translated to the active (currently selected!) chain, if routed. Zynthian behaves as Stage Mode for this device. It’s the default/initial mode for all devices.
  • OMNI => MIDI events are translated to routed chains, “cloning” the events to each routed chain. So you can have a given device assigned to one or more chains and it works not matter what MIDI channel is using the device or the chains. You can play several chains unison with this, etc.
  • MULTI => MIDI events are not translated at all. They reach routed chains that match the event’s MIDI channel. Zynthian behaves as Multi-Timbral Mode for this input device and the assigned chains.

BTW, how is your MPC connected to the Zynthian? DIN-5 MIDI-IN connector?

Regards,

2 Likes

Yes, i use a common Midi Din connector. Now it works well, thanks!
About the Midi connection, it seems that i have a bit of latency but i must do some further test.