Success Cases

I set all the repositories to testing, is that ok?

Edit
Both units updated, only the new one fails to shutdown…

Edit2
Reverting back to stable solved the problem

Please save and provide a snapshot of the state just before shutdown. I wonder if this relates to an issue we have seen with Pianoteq?

I don’t use Pianoteq. I also notice that the screen does not dim.

Included the snapshot
007-New Snapshot.zss (27.2 KB)

Edit
Managed to solve the issue by burning a new SD-card with the latest testing image.

Hi @ jofemodo would it be possible to align widgets for controls at the bottom of the screen. I have build several zynthians and spent a lot of time working on a 3D case design in openscad that I will share when it is production ready. Due to portrait LCD layout we have more space above and bellow the screen than left and right for encoders . If we put encoders on the bottom of the case we would be able to print nice case on the cheapest small 3d printer because the whole case with 4.3 screen would not be wider than 135mm. I am not keen to go back to 3.5 screen - the change and usability of zynthina is drastically improved with 4.3 and 800x480 resolution. I have attached the screenshot of the current openscad design with encoders at the bottom. Top can be printed as one part without any support. It dos not have any visible screws for attaching the bottom or even screen itself.

1 Like

Also as you can see encoders are little bit differently arranged when they are at the bottom of the screen than when they are at the side. I think it is more logical to have:

• back and select encoders at the each side that are currently left bottom and right bottom and
  • middle encoders that are currently top left and top right encoders

Welcome @stojos!

Could you fit a single column of encoders on the right within your 3D print footprint? Zynthian already supports that layout.

Hm, it would be hard. My goal is to create an entry point zynthian setup with all in one PCB that comes with sound card, midi in/out/through and connectors for all 4 encoders. So far we have all that always split into two PCBs that complicates case design and assembly and increase the cost and adoption of zynthian.

Here is a screenshot of working zynthian inside 3d printed 127mm wide case with a single all in one PCB based on very 2$ I2S PCM5102A sound card from ali express. adding 8mm will be tight.

1 Like

If there is an interest for this case and this minimalistic all in one PCB I can open my github where I store my zynthian hardware Kicad and openscad case designs . Also I can share my PCBWay order if anyone want to build the same all in one card . (10£ for 5 PCBs with global delivery to UK)

Currently waiting for another iteration of PCB printed with PCBWay for testing.

Here is the current PCB design and schematics (based on clumsyMIDI)

3 Likes

Hi @stojos !

Nice design, but …

… you should have asked before! The arrangement you propose is not so easy to achieve and it would take some time as it’s not a priority and we have to reach several milestones before having time to implement this. Also, i didn’t recommend you to implement on current testing branch because we are entering a refactoring phase and it will be difficult to merge your changes, so you have 2 options:

• You change your design to an all-encoders-on-the-right-side approach, like V5
  • You wait several months until this could be implemented. Of course, if a decent amount of users build zynthians with this layout, this would increase priority, but currently you are alone, my friend.

Of course, you could modify current software for personal use, but as i told you, merging complex developments will be difficult in the next weeks/months.

All the best!

1 Like

Thanks for quick reply !!!

I will investigate option 1. Clearly the more it aligns to v5 the better.

I did not know that this configuration even exist - until by accident I discovered this post.

1 Like

You can make the adjustments from the webconf => Interface => UI Options (advance)

Regards,

1 Like

If you want to implement the horizontal layout, you should start looking here:

It’s not a sweet pear and you would need to modify a few files more, but it’s not super-difficult.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Hm, I haven’t compiled zynthin before so it will take me some time to setup dev environment first.

Thinking more about this vertical right side pots option, this are more suitable for bigger screens such as one on v5. I already tried to scatch something in inkscape for 4.3 screen and it doesn’t look nice. So probably I will invest some time in trying to update the code.

Thanks anyway for guidance !!!

1 Like

Hi @stojos,

It’s nice to see Succes Cases is still alive !

The file linked by @jofemodo is in Python (like most of Zynthian UI code), wich is interpreted. No compilation needed. A simple text editor is enough.

1 Like

Yes. You are right. You need at less 5 inch display, and we had to “overflow” the display height in the V5 design, but it looks nice.

Regards,

1 Like

I received the V5 and assembled in about 40 minutes total time. The instructions are perfect. Just have to wrap my head around it and learn its limitations so I can help expand the functionality…

6 Likes

Hello Zynhian user,

As I have been doing electronics since I was very young and I have 30 years of GNU/Linux behind me :), and although I bought an official Zynthian V4, I had fun making a new one. What a pleasure to make a Zynthian and I searched the forum to get there :)! My assembly uses a Mcp23017, four encoders, four push buttons. The green LED indicates the presence of mains, the red LED is present to indicate that the RPI is off, and the blue LED to indicate incoming Midi Din traffic. I only use the 3.3 volts from the RPi to power the whole system (No other power supply, no 5v from the RPI, the power supply in the photo is not used). In the end, my assembly will have three five-pin Midi Din sockets, like in the V4 (in, out, thrue). The Audio in/out/headphone card is an audio injector. The touch screen is an FNK0078. The optocouplers are H11L1. I’m thinking of installing analog galvanometers on the box to look nice. The potentiometers present on the audio card, as well as the audio input/output plugs and the headphone jack, will be remote on the case. I am thinking of powering the Raspberry directly through the GPIO, like this, I will install a switch on the box to cut off the source when the red LED is off. I will add a final potentiometer for adjusting the volume of the headphone jack (unless this is possible by software). When I have finished installing my prototype and have it all installed in a case, I will post photographs again.

Have a nice week end :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Congratulations! Interesting choice going 3.3v. Does this mean you won’t power usb sockets on the pi or perhaps use a powered USB hub for those devices that can live off USB 5v supplies? I end up using a fair bit of USB kit like mice and such so it can be useful.

Now comes the issue of what box does it go in? The screen forces the design more than anything else as these are the most interesting devices to mount that require the most surgery to put in a case of some sort. And then you have the metal or plastic dilemma. Metal is great but can limit WiFi if that is important. Remember to get the USB, ethernet and hdmi sockets as accessible as you can. Trying to extend these within a case takes up no end of space. And also consider access to the ssd. Changing these can be a real PAIN, especially if you are working with an untested screen to ensure the machine is alive. Sometimes whilst playing at this level the only way in is via the Ethernet port, so it pays to have it accessible.

We will, of course, be expecting a sonic contribution when we see how it all ends up!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to play audio files?

3 posts were split to a new topic: DIY zynthian with 2 x MCP23017