Usb audio out

Is there a way to get zynthian audio out through usb so that another device can listen to it?

Can you explain exactly what you want to try and achive in the real world? Your question is a bit vague as it is.

If you mean with “another device” a computer its not possible. USB is not for communication between two USB Hosts (Computers)

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting the op-z to listen to the zynthian thru usb.

Zynthian supports class compliant USB audio soundcards so a device that acts as a class compliant audio interface can be used as Zynthian’s only audio interface.

Zynthian also supports gadget mode for MIDI only. If you can provide power, e.g. via a splitter cable then Zynthian’s USB C power connector can be connected to a host device and Zynthian is seen as a class compliant MIDI device. (This is little used for to the complexity of supplying sufficient power.) Audio is, in theory possible but not currently implemented (upstream).

1 Like

According to the video I just watched the OP-Z supports MIDI over USB. It didn’t mention audio.

That’s some infrastructure.

1 Like

According to the opz manual under source selection,

“the connected device needs to be an audio host for the opz to recognize it”

https://teenage.engineering/guides/op-z/input-selection

Ah, then no. You’d be better using the headset option.

I’m not so sure - the use of the term “host” suggests it is expecting to connect the op-z as an audio device to a host which Zynthian can be. Try this:

• Connect the op-z to the Zynthian via USB
  • Enable usb audio on the op-z
  • In Zynthian command line type lsusb
  • In Zynthian command line type aplay -l

Tell us the results.

I was working from section 18.1 “the input selector on the i/o module track allows you to input external signals into your mix.”

Yea thats not bad. I think the cheap irig with the trrs connection will work but now im using the opz audio jack to go into a mixer.

Hello, long time lurker here, I’ll post at some point about my projects involving the wonderful Zynthian, in the meantime I just wanted to stress that the OP-Z can be connected as a USB sound interface, i.e. you can indeed output the Zynthian audio to the OP-Z with USB only, no need for the TRRS audio cable. At least one other person did the same, see A couple of headless problems (with the op-z)

You have to configure the Zynthian to use a USB soundcard. I don’t have the Zynthian up and running right now to give you the exact parameters to set in the web interface, but I did not have troubles to switch back and forth between the OP-Z and my regular USB audio interface (I don’t have anything beside that to get the audio), the OP-Z behaves as a regular device here (and the MIDI is of course still working).

3 Likes

Its there but it seem that I can’t toggle usb audio without a signal coming from the zynthian first.

root@zynthian:~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 26ae:8506
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1c75:0289
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 2367:000c
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
root@zynthian:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 2: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 4: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplusadcpro], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ADC Pro HiFi multicodec-0 [HiFiBerry DAC+ADC Pro HiFi multicodec-0]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 5: OPZ [OP-Z], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1