V5 is here

First of all: many thanks for the vidéo, everything looks so smart.
I’m just listening to this while writing, really nice too, well done.

The archive file you’ve downloaded could be corrupted.

1 Like

Indeed! Did you test against the MD5?

Yes that’s weird :

FORGET FOR THAT, it took a while to accept the v5 mapping ! I was clicking save but it was staying on V4 studio …

I will check the md5, but switching webbrowser was a solution for me but … no ahah :slight_smile:

@le51 thank you =D

I have observed very slow saving of configuration (up to a minute). Others have also experienced this but the issue has not affected @jofemodo. Maybe it relates to network configuration and name resolution or network latency / reslisience. (I tend to use wifi with a variety of network devices on the home network which can give interesting performance.) There is certainly room for improvement here, for example a recent change to keyboard mapping has resulted in that webconf page being very responsive and not requiring a save for each action. We can look at similar improvement to the wiring page (which is a similar mapping function). This will probably be reviewed after the next release as it happens to fit nicely with some changes that we are doing…

1 Like

There is a new staging SD-image:

https://os.zynthian.org/2023-07-12-zynthianos-staging-2307.zip

Everybody having one of the new V5 kits should download and try this SD-image as it’s updated to the last and it should fix some (i hope all) the issues with the stable SD-image.

The best!

1 Like

You seem to have tried to download the image before the upload finished. It’s my fault because i uploaded directly to the final folder. Sorry @Funkylsk ! :smiling_face:

Now it’s totally uploaded.

Regards,

3 Likes

It’s working thank you !

1 Like

Hi all - received my v5 kit yesterday at the Apple HQ campus. Unfortunately it was shipped with the UK power adapter and I don’t have a way to power it currently until I can source a different AC power connector. I’m really impressed with the packaging and contents of the kit - very nicely done! One suggestion is to include a QR code very obviously placed in the box as the place to start on kit assembly instructions because otherwise one receives a beautiful v5 kit but then has to search for where to begin to assemble it. I won’t have a chance to do more until later this evening. If someone has a part number handy for the power adapter power cable I can order one locally and have it next day.

Also – is this thread the best place to leave feedback about the kit and assembly?

3 Likes

Hi @rcordell

Where is “local”? One might guess that the “Apple Campus” is somewhere in North America but assumptions can be bad things!

Here is a good place to leave feedback and your first idea for a QR code (or some kind of documentation) is excellent!

2 Likes

Oops - sorry about that; Cupertino, CA. Looks like the power cable is a C7 non-polarized that I should be able to find pretty easily.

1 Like

Hi @rcordell!

Ups! It seems that we have sent some UK adapters instead of US adapters by error. I apologize for the problem. Luckily the PSU allows replacing the plug cable segment. You can find a replacement under $10 in amazon:

Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Compatible-Playstation-Supply-Replacement/dp/B073QN2JBS

I will refund you the cost. Simply tell me how much did you pay for it :wink:

Regards!

2 Likes

No worries my friend - I’m more than happy to run out and get the correct plug which I did during lunch today; the correct plug is actually one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Power-Compatible-Playstation-Supply-Replacement/dp/B073QN2JBS which has the C7 non-polarized connector. I picked one up at the local electronics salvage shop. Just wanted to let you know in case the boxes are mislabeled or catalogued for which power connector they have before you ship them out.
I should have everything I need to do the assembly and power the box including a brand new rPi 4 8GB since they’ve started to become available again.

3 Likes

My v5 kit is completely assembled and up and running. Total time for assembly was a very relaxed 2 hours. I thought the instructions were quite good throughout. Some observations and feedback:

• The first step that involves putting on the thermal tape doesn’t mention the clear backing until a step or two later but mentions that you can trim the excess with a fingernail. This is when I realized there was a clear film backing that needed to come off but I wasn’t sure until I read several steps ahead that it was OK to pull this backing off. So I recommend mentioning the clear backing earlier.
  • There were rubber plugs in the threaded mounting posts in the bottom half of the case so when I went to mount the main board with the RPi and heatsink it took a bit to realize this and that those plugs could/should be removed. I can see people trying to push screws into the rubber plugs so it would be good to mention that the plugs, if present, should be removed.

— that was it as for feedback on instructions.

In general I would guess that there will be people that struggle with the flat ribbon cable connectors as they are a bit tricky to close and keep the ribbon straight. Heck - they’re a bit tricky to get in straight to begin with! There is currently a suggestion in the assembly instructions where you are prompted to consider plugging in the cable earlier than it comes up in the order of instructions - I think this is the display cable IIRC - with my fat fingers I definitely found it challenging to correctly put in the cable once the main board was mounted in the bottom chassis so I would recommend going ahead and assembling the cable before mounting the board to the chassis for most people. It was hard to get the connectors closed correctly because there wasn’t much space allowed to work.

— Congratulations on putting together a really beautiful DIY kit - I think it’s a stunner ! I took the liberty of posting the assembled photos and a note/link to Zynthian.org to the Apple internal Slack channels for synthesizers and DIY (there are quite a few musicians at Apple and many are into synthesizers - go figure) and I’ll be presenting the Zynthian v5 at our next synth meetup in Cupertino.

Overall I’d recommend that when you open the store to the general public to:

• make sure you have a QR code or something really simple to take people directly to the assembly instructions.
  • similarly make it really obvious where to get the correct and latest image for the v5 - I found it in this Discourse thread but when the dust settles anything that makes it dead simple for people to get up and running quickly is helpful.

Finally – the wiki has a user manual that doesn’t match the v5 box – what are the plans to put something together/update assuming I didn’t miss the correct user manual somewhere and how can I help with that?

Thank you all so much for the work you’ve put into this project. I’m really quite humbled by what you’ve done here and I’m excited to have this - cheers!!

4 Likes

Oh - before I forget - that aluminum block of a heatsink is a real beauty - I loved holding it in my hands while putting things together :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi all-

Just wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know after some help troubleshooting, I’ve got my V5 up and running. FYI, my issue turned out to be a finicky SD card. I was worried I had messed something up with the connectors as they are touchy, but thankfully, all is good.

I’m looking forward to learning more about the Zynthian, as this is my first one, but I figured out how to load a synth, and got some notes playing from my controller!

Nice to meet everyone, and hope to contribute to the community as I learn.

4 Likes

Hi @interzone2006
! Welcome to the family. A good place to start is by reading the use guides on the wiki. There is also a wealth of information here in the forum. If you get stuck then able here but do first check if the problem hasn’t already been answered in the user docs.

3 Likes

You will have a great time. Zynthian is awesome!!! :musical_keyboard: :musical_keyboard: :musical_keyboard: :musical_keyboard: :musical_keyboard: :musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

Hi @zynthianers!

I just committed the V5 design files to the zynthian repositories:

I also shared the design files for V5 eurorack prototype:

Sharing is loving!!

Enjoy!!

13 Likes

Thank you very much @jofemodo !

I’ve completed the assembly of my V5 unit, and it went quite smoothly. There were a few scary moments with the double sided thermal tape coming apart when I removed the protective plastic. I’d suggest maybe providing twice what we need to allow for mistakes. But that’s kind of besides the point, because so far I haven’t been able to boot at all! I used a RPi 4 that was working so I feel reasonably sure it’s OK.

I first tried:
https://os.zynthian.org/2023-07-12-zynthianos-staging-2307.zip
The screen briefly lights up a little and the LEDs on the EtherNet RJ45 both turn on.
But nothing shows up on the screen even after letting it sit for hours and I can’t access webconf via zynthian.local.

I tried going back to:
https://os.zynthian.org/zynthianos-last-stable.zip
with the same results.

I’m inclined to open the V5 up and try removing the cable to the main board and putting the SD Card directly in the RPi. But I thought it would be worth asking here first.

So, any advice?

1 Like

First, i would try with a different SD-card.

If it doesn’t work, you could try to insert the card directly in the RBPi4. Some sd-cards doesn’t work with the extender, or it could be a bad adapter, although probability for this is low.

Also, re-check the display cable connection. Check it’s placed in the right orientation and it’s totally inserted. You could check also that contacts are not damaged, etc.

Also check rest of cables & connections.

Regards,

3 Likes