ZynFace: CV/Gate + ThereMIDI

Hello Jofemendo!

Would like to support with the CV topic … Any way to support you?
PS: Rather unclear for me how we generate cv output. Are there already possibilities? Can we utilize the LFO on the ADS? Are there LV2 plugins which can utilize the CV /OUT /IN to generate complex CV? could we generally think of implementing some MATHS (Makenoise) like Features? e.g beeing the bridge between synths with different refernce CV Voltages.

cheers Björn

1 Like

Hello,

would you share your configuration settings with me?

my configuration is:
raspberry pi 4
iqaudio dac +
3.5 generic display
all-in-one module kit
zynaptik expander
zynface

i couldn’t solve it to make all the features work
if zynaptik config 4Xad + 4Xda the encoders work then if 16Xswitch + 4Xad + 4Xda then the encoders do not work

thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @tsab !

I’ve been reviewing the schematics of zynaptik and AllInOne and i “remembered” that both MCP23017 ICs use the same interrupt pins, so making this to work it’s gonna be more challenging that i thought, although not impossible!! :wink:

The simplest solution would be to re-route the interrupt pins from the AllInOne, so it uses the same interrupt pins used by the ZynScreen (pins 13 & 7). For doing that, simply connect the AllInOne using single dupont wires. Luckily, you only need to connect a few pins:

• VCC: pin 2
  • GND: pin 6
  • SDA: pin 3
  • SCL: pin 5
  • INTA: pin 36 (All_In_One) => pin 13 (RBPi)
  • INTB: pin 37 (All_In_One) => pin 7 (RBPi)

With this new wiring, you should choose the ZynScreen wiring layout on the webconf.

BTW, did you remove the MIDI circuit/parts from the All_In_One module? Did you cut the PCB? I would like to see the result :wink:

Thanks,

Hello Jofemodo!

this is my layout, I hope it is clearly visible.

thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jofemodo !

cool, looks like it will work.

the analog input was successfully configured and taught to the midi device.
if I understand correctly the analog out is not implemented yet

I had further questions:
if i teach eg filter cutoff in the main section of the synth layer then the screen seems to react, it pulls the potentiometer display, so it seems to work, but the sound doesn’t change

on the other hand, if I set it to the same parameter of the tal-filter, for example, it is clearly visible on the display, and the sound also changes as it should be
what makes this difference?

another question, how can I configure the gate-in and gate-out legs?
I want to send a gate signal out of zynseq or trigger a channel from an external sequencer

Thanks!

In a UI Design discussion the Bluebox was cited as making good use if it’s 4 rotary encoders.

Just had to mention it here as it has a look of having Zynthian DNA. Priced as if it could be a cash cow, though I don’t know what the euro rack sales are like these days, wonder if a Zynthian case blank could be machined into a digital euro rack thing.

(Note the front load SD card slot)

1 Like

Very nice devices!! :star_struck:

What engine/preset are you using? I know some ZynAddSubFX presets seems to not react to cutoff changes.

The gate-out is not implemented yet, so you have to wait a little bit.
The gate-in is already implemented , but it’s not on stable or test branches yet. You have to change to cvgate branch on this 3 repos:

• zynthian-ui
  • zynthian-webconf
  • zyncoder

After changing and updating, access to the wiring tab on webconf and you will see the cv/gate options.

Regards,

Hi @guys!

The MCP4728 (DAC) code is working like a charm, so … CV-OUT is implemented, and also CV/Gate for IN & OUT:

• CV/Gate IN & OUT is mapped to/from MIDI-Note on/off
  • CV IN & OUT, that can be mapped to/from MIDI CC, Pitch Bending & Channel Pressure.

Development branch “cvgate” has been created on 3 repositories:

• zyncoder
  • zynthian-ui
  • zynthian-webconf

Webconf’s wiring tab has evolved a little bit for fitting the new requirements, including the implementation of a “form reload on-change mechanism” that can be used for making forms more dynamic & reliable.

Finally, regarding the CV/Gate to/from MIDI-note translation, currently all available voltage range is used on Input and Output, and notes, from 0 to 127, are distributed linearly on this voltage range. If you connect zynthian’s CV/Gate OUT to zynthian’s CV/Gate IN, you should get a nearly perfect MIDI-analog-THRU :wink:

For improving integration with other CV/Gate devices, some kind of scaling mechanism, configurable from webconf. should be implemented for CV IN & OUT.

Enjoy!!

1 Like

Ahhh! I missed the :face_with_monocle:

A bored param-jam with a KORG-SQ1 (analog sequencer) sending CV/Gate to Zynthian (Noize Maker) :grin:

It’s a little bit off-sync because i’ve not found a way (yet!) of syncing the Noize Maker internal arpeggiator with the SQ1.

Cheers!

1 Like

:smiley:

I’m not ready yet, but soon maybe I think… When you say Voltage range 0-127, what voltage is that?

I’m super excited about this, btw…

5 volts :laughing:

That seems odd. A common scale is 1V per octave and MIDI 0-127 covers over 10 octaves. I think (from long distant memory) that the voltage range for such scammers is usually 0-10V.

Really? I always thought Control Voltage standards for Eurorack are bipolar signals that range from -2.5V to +2.5V. I could be wrong though.

Eurorack uses +/-10V for signals, but many digital modules only have +/-5V or 0-5V.
There are attenuverter modules with DC offset that help to get the voltage into the needed range for the in/output you desire.

1 Like

Indeed there are modules that only require a lower range of voltage but I am specifically referring to note range which for the Moog like range expects approx 10V range across the full MIDI note range. We can use a smaller voltage range but I would expect that to be represented by a smaller MIDI now range, e.g. 0V - 5V may represent a MIDI note range of 60, not 128.

AFAIK, there is not a truly fixed standard for CV signals on eurorack. Wikipedia says:

Eurorack defines a common power supply and power connector: a 10- or 16-pin ribbon cable supplying a dual rail 12v DC power supply. Power connectors can also include a 5V DC power supply, and CV and Gate buses.
Audio and control signals are exchanged between modules via 3.5mm mono jack cables. The electrical characteristics of signals are split into three loosely defined categories:

• Audio signals are typically a maximum of 10V peak-to-peak (i.e. between -5V and +5V)
  • Control voltages can either be unipolar or bipolar. >Bipolar control voltages are typically 5V peak-to-peak (i.e. from -2.5V to +2.5V), unipolar voltages between 0V and 8V. The V/Octave scale is used for pitch information
  • Trigger, Gate or Clock signals are digital 0V to 5V pulses typically used for timing and event signalling.

As I don’t feel too comfortable with “current pumps” and this kind of stuff for getting a bipolar circuit from a unipolar power supply (I must learn more about it!) and I didn’t want to make too complex the initial Zynface design, i thought that using 0-5V unipolar was not so bad. My SQ1 can be easily configured to output 0-5V, for instance.

Anyway, i would like to add a better CV input/output interface in a next iteration. Until then, as @STM says, you can use an “attenuverter”.

Regards,

1 Like

Aha! I am ahead of the curve then…

I have one of these

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/shades/

That should fix everything up for me! Great news… As you were!

hi @jofemodo,

the front panel is finished
in principle, I put everything together
the required modules have been added from the cvgate branch, but I don’t really understand how it should work.
cv in works, but gate in / out and cv out do not
is there any tutorial I could use to make it work?
thx

6 Likes