ZynFace: CV/Gate + ThereMIDI

“We’re gonna need a bigger box” (Jaws reference)

Euro racks did immediately come to mind.

Would there be much delay if it had a USB MIDI interface to the Zynthian. That would sure simplify the packaging options.

Speaking of Ultra sound, the ultimate for a big budget interactive installation might be the UltraLeap, the UntraHaptic tactile feedback device maker (You can “feel” geometric shapes) partnered with Leapmotion the hand gesture recognition system. (Their stereo camera based system is a bit long in the tooth, they should use a 3D imaging camera like the iPhone face unlock uses) I wonder about the safety of so much concentrated ultrasonic sound.
(I ran across a violin modeling synth demo using Leapmotion hand gestures simulating bowing
Tech runthroughimpressive tech demo80 sec performance using simpler gesture input)

1 Like

One whacky application of the time of flight distance sensors would be some sort of mechanical music box like record or toothed gear that provides an LFO waveform or melody. Could be a 3D printed record on a standard record player platter. There might be a novelty gadget niche for such a thing. (Some items at this overpriced gadget store look hand crafted)

For a common 2nd gen VL53L0X sensor with about 27° FOV, at 5CM distance the tracks would have to be 2.5 cm wide. The height of the bumps could define a note, though the absolute accuracy specs are 3 to 12%, relative accuracy should a lot better. Converting the reading to the nearest note may be more practical than continuous pitch control. Might get 30ms (33 sps) to 20 ms (50 sps) sampling rate.
(The VL6180X specs suggest it’s better close up, working down to 5mm, allowing smaller track width and bump heights.)

Inspirations:
3D printed ‘records’ for a Fisher Price toy music box.
Made to order 14 note, 16 beat custom printed music box
Punch tape programmable music box
Low resolution discs for standard record players 3D printed with UV Resin. (11kHz sample rate, 5-6 bit resolution)
Cheap breath controller using sensor to measure balloon inflation.
Crazy engineer (Wintergatan) Marble music player designs.

See the cheap Breath Control design for accessory details.

I literally just found out about zynthian 30 minutes ago and I’m being blown away. This CV-gate connectivity is amazing. I think I’m going to hold out for a case that integrates this cv-gate and immediately pull the trigger on it. great work.

1 Like

Hi @SmoothSailingMusic !

The CV interface is still a work in process. The software is not finished and CV output is not fully working yet. I hope to finish the implementation on the next weeks.

Regarding a case including the CV interface, it’s not planned at all, sorry. A modular version (eurorack) is more feasible, but not in the next months. Perhaps 2022/23 :wink:

Regards,

Hugely appreciate the quick response. Funnily enough I have been thinking about this all day and already am looking around for custom euro rack face plates and such for mounting. Incidentally it seems this is the whole spirit of the project anyways! Will probably move forward sooner rather than later! Cheers

Actually sorry @jofemodo would you be able to clarify one thing, does the 4.3 kit include the CV/gate zynface kit? reason I ask is the 4.3 description on the home page seems to indicate it does but the description of the kit in the shop has the 4.2 description which indicates the zynface is optional. Cheers!

The kit v4.3 includes the CV/Gate interface that is exposed on the Zynaptik connector:

https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Adding_Extra_I/O_with_the_Zynaptik_Module

The zynface is not included and it’s sold as a separated kit.

Regards!

1 Like

Ahhhh got it! Thanks for clarifying! Will buy both!

1 Like

Hello Jofemendo!

Would like to support with the CV topic … Any way to support you?
PS: Rather unclear for me how we generate cv output. Are there already possibilities? Can we utilize the LFO on the ADS? Are there LV2 plugins which can utilize the CV /OUT /IN to generate complex CV? could we generally think of implementing some MATHS (Makenoise) like Features? e.g beeing the bridge between synths with different refernce CV Voltages.

cheers Björn

1 Like

Hello,

would you share your configuration settings with me?

my configuration is:
raspberry pi 4
iqaudio dac +
3.5 generic display
all-in-one module kit
zynaptik expander
zynface

i couldn’t solve it to make all the features work
if zynaptik config 4Xad + 4Xda the encoders work then if 16Xswitch + 4Xad + 4Xda then the encoders do not work

thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @tsab !

I’ve been reviewing the schematics of zynaptik and AllInOne and i “remembered” that both MCP23017 ICs use the same interrupt pins, so making this to work it’s gonna be more challenging that i thought, although not impossible!! :wink:

The simplest solution would be to re-route the interrupt pins from the AllInOne, so it uses the same interrupt pins used by the ZynScreen (pins 13 & 7). For doing that, simply connect the AllInOne using single dupont wires. Luckily, you only need to connect a few pins:

• VCC: pin 2
  • GND: pin 6
  • SDA: pin 3
  • SCL: pin 5
  • INTA: pin 36 (All_In_One) => pin 13 (RBPi)
  • INTB: pin 37 (All_In_One) => pin 7 (RBPi)

With this new wiring, you should choose the ZynScreen wiring layout on the webconf.

BTW, did you remove the MIDI circuit/parts from the All_In_One module? Did you cut the PCB? I would like to see the result :wink:

Thanks,

Hello Jofemodo!

this is my layout, I hope it is clearly visible.

thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jofemodo !

cool, looks like it will work.

the analog input was successfully configured and taught to the midi device.
if I understand correctly the analog out is not implemented yet

I had further questions:
if i teach eg filter cutoff in the main section of the synth layer then the screen seems to react, it pulls the potentiometer display, so it seems to work, but the sound doesn’t change

on the other hand, if I set it to the same parameter of the tal-filter, for example, it is clearly visible on the display, and the sound also changes as it should be
what makes this difference?

another question, how can I configure the gate-in and gate-out legs?
I want to send a gate signal out of zynseq or trigger a channel from an external sequencer

Thanks!

In a UI Design discussion the Bluebox was cited as making good use if it’s 4 rotary encoders.

Just had to mention it here as it has a look of having Zynthian DNA. Priced as if it could be a cash cow, though I don’t know what the euro rack sales are like these days, wonder if a Zynthian case blank could be machined into a digital euro rack thing.

(Note the front load SD card slot)

1 Like

Very nice devices!! :star_struck:

What engine/preset are you using? I know some ZynAddSubFX presets seems to not react to cutoff changes.

The gate-out is not implemented yet, so you have to wait a little bit.
The gate-in is already implemented , but it’s not on stable or test branches yet. You have to change to cvgate branch on this 3 repos:

• zynthian-ui
  • zynthian-webconf
  • zyncoder

After changing and updating, access to the wiring tab on webconf and you will see the cv/gate options.

Regards,

Hi @guys!

The MCP4728 (DAC) code is working like a charm, so … CV-OUT is implemented, and also CV/Gate for IN & OUT:

• CV/Gate IN & OUT is mapped to/from MIDI-Note on/off
  • CV IN & OUT, that can be mapped to/from MIDI CC, Pitch Bending & Channel Pressure.

Development branch “cvgate” has been created on 3 repositories:

• zyncoder
  • zynthian-ui
  • zynthian-webconf

Webconf’s wiring tab has evolved a little bit for fitting the new requirements, including the implementation of a “form reload on-change mechanism” that can be used for making forms more dynamic & reliable.

Finally, regarding the CV/Gate to/from MIDI-note translation, currently all available voltage range is used on Input and Output, and notes, from 0 to 127, are distributed linearly on this voltage range. If you connect zynthian’s CV/Gate OUT to zynthian’s CV/Gate IN, you should get a nearly perfect MIDI-analog-THRU :wink:

For improving integration with other CV/Gate devices, some kind of scaling mechanism, configurable from webconf. should be implemented for CV IN & OUT.

Enjoy!!

1 Like

Ahhh! I missed the :face_with_monocle:

A bored param-jam with a KORG-SQ1 (analog sequencer) sending CV/Gate to Zynthian (Noize Maker) :grin:

It’s a little bit off-sync because i’ve not found a way (yet!) of syncing the Noize Maker internal arpeggiator with the SQ1.

Cheers!

1 Like

:smiley:

I’m not ready yet, but soon maybe I think… When you say Voltage range 0-127, what voltage is that?

I’m super excited about this, btw…