Zynth club. .. There's just one rule in Zynth club

I think we should make these a weekly event so we can monitor progress on specific issues with a cadence that feels natural.
I would certainly benefit from being kept on track with things.

Weekly though?

If weekly is required. It might pay to get a bit focused on specific tasks/agenda, more inclusive/attractive of other users with the advertising the focus on specific issues and limit the time to 1-2h at most rather than the usual and much loved extended social banter.

1 Like

A sort of weekly stand up.

I only stand up to get beer.

19:00 UTC on Monday 16th August 2021

It is my birthday so I will expect at least one uncomfortable rendition of the appropriate song. . .

4 Likes

That’s today!

1 Like

Happy birthday Chris.

2 Likes

Here you go, mate :wink: Happy Birthday!

2 Likes

Not enough warning. Not enough agenda. But by chance, I still dropped in :>

Time can be considered a fairly simple concept. We measure its progress with the SI unit of seconds but also apply cyclic measurement to allow conceptual understanding of larger periods, e.g. minutes, hours, days, years, etc. One of those cycles is 86400s which we call a day. We divide this into 24 equal parts of 3600s which we call an hour. We assign a number to each hour so that we might have a common reference for the absolute time that is relative to the start of each day. Cyclic measurement is handy for just that - allowing you to meet with others at an agreed time. These hours are associated with dark and light periods of each day. The earth rotates once within each day and depending where you are on the planet, the time of day may differ, e.g. it is 07:38 here but 15:38 in Tokyo. People in both places are actually at the same absolute time but we simply assign a different offset to our cyclic measurement. To allow us to synchronise these different allocations of cyclic time we recognise a common time-zone which we call Coordinated Universal Time (UTC - yes, the French get to name it!). You may consider your local time as an offset from UTC. Some areas in the world move their relative cyclic time offset for half of the year which we call daylight saving. All of this is nonsense and we should all just use UTC and wake and work at different times depending on where we live but I haven’t managed to get that past our French uberlords yet! A larger measurement of time is the century, 3155760000s (give or take) and much of the world use an epoch for calendars that is just over twenty centuries ago. In the second half of the twentieth century some bright sparks invented the Internet and subsequently the World Wide Web. It is now possible to query a massive store of data and processing to find out the time anywhere in the world, including where you live. It is also possible to communicate with people and machines all over this wondrous planet.

That all seems quite simple so how can someone invite people to his own birthday party and arrive an hour early?

Some beverages were drunk. Some kind words exchanged. Clocks were discussed. A Zynthian was taken apart to inspect its innards and the source code read to understand its functionality (RTFS). This was mostly to figure out how we could interface Zynthian with analogue synths, particularly with respect to clocking and synchronisation. An IDE cable was ordered. Birthday boy went to play with his toys. A new day dawned somewhere in the world and someone tried to avoid physical exercise by joining the party late (although being sent an invite after you go to bed seems a little cruel). We discovered that Newcastle is not (necessarily) bogan. With no agenda we were able to keep to the allotted time. I went to watch The Leftovers leaving the leftovers to talk behind my back.

Action: @wyleu Ensure wiki (or other documentation) accurately describes how to configure and use zynaptic analogue interface.

Note: References to time have been made at a macro level and some approximations made. Do not use these assumptions in your predictions over large time intervals.

3 Likes

You have too much time on your hands :wink:

1 Like

You have my vote!
But don’t forget about this daylight saving madness…
As there seems no consensus about permanent winter or summer time let’s just go with HALF an hour in between, thanks.

1 Like

Twice daily!

https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Adding_Extra_I/O_with_the_Zynaptik_Module

Looks pretty good.

Nothing about Digital or Analog Output.

Personally I use the 16 Digi i/o’s as the first eight Digital inputs from switches on the zynthian-pedal With the last eight allocated to LED['s in those switches to allow ( as yet un-implemented ) patch selection and confirmation.

It needs expanding to cover the configuration options including analogue output.

An option I don’t have :smiley:

I have easy digital output if it’s available via the LED’s

Outputs both analog & digital , presumably present conceptually within the zynth as MIDI inputs, so one is mapping.

Can the sequencer act as a source to this mechanism for instance?

I can see the excuses for missing homework already being plotted. Each digital pin can be configured as input or output with an associated function. Each analogue input can trigger a configurable action and each analogue output can be driven from a configurable trigger. It is these options you were tasked to detail in the documentation.

I’m not new to this you know !!

Are right I hadn’t realised the Trig in’s and outs had been implemented as CVGateOut & CVGateIn.
Mind you it’s lots of 500’s at the moment.

And now an image rebuild…

Ok switched to testing entering the switch settings for program change …

500 or every addition …

Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/tornado/web.py”, line 1346, in _execute
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: result = method(*self.path_args, **self.path_kwargs)
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/tornado/web.py”, line 2626, in wrapper
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: return method(self, *args, **kwargs)
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: File “/home/pi/zynthian-webconf/lib/wiring_config_handler.py”, line 495, in post
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: self.get(errors)
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/tornado/web.py”, line 2626, in wrapper
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: return method(self, *args, **kwargs)
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: File “/home/pi/zynthian-webconf/lib/wiring_config_handler.py”, line 479, in get
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: super().get(“Wiring”, config, errors)
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: File “/home/pi/zynthian-webconf/lib/zynthian_config_handler.py”, line 173, in get
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: super().get(“config_block.html”, title, config, errors)
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: File “/home/pi/zynthian-webconf/lib/zynthian_config_handler.py”, line 121, in get
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: self.render(“config.html”, body=body, config=config, title=title, errors=errors)
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: File “/home/pi/zynthian-webconf/lib/zynthian_config_handler.py”, line 97, in render
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: info[‘scrollTop’] = int(self.get_argument(‘_scrollTop’, ‘0’))
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ‘2186.25’
Aug 23 17:26:02 zynthian-pedal zynthian_webconf.sh[395]: ERROR:tornado.access:500 POST /hw-wiring (192.168.1.11) 180.87ms

All the configuration data seems to be accepted but it wont boot.

Aug 23 17:40:06 zynthian-pedal startx[504]: ERROR:zynthian_gui.init: ERROR initializing Controllers & MIDI-router: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘setup_zynswitch_midi’
Aug 23 17:40:07 zynthian-pedal startx[504]: ERROR:zynthian_gui.init_midi: ERROR initializing MIDI : ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘set_midi_filter_tuning_freq’
Aug 23 17:40:08 zynthian-pedal startx[504]: Can’t init zyncoder library: /home/pi/zyncoder/build/libzyncoder.so: undefined symbol: zyncoder_mcp23017_ISR

Selecting MCP23017 Extra returns functionality.