Zynth club. .. There's just one rule in Zynth club

Like a beacon, shining through the darkness, a luminescence shone into the eyes and hearts of the collective. Like a Euro 2020 (née 2021) soccer referee presiding over proceedings we tried but failed to not mention his attire! And so was launched another gathering of the learned and the learning and with apparent lack of structure and direction some of the following may have been discussed:

• Do world leaders share the same barber (or hedge)?
  • Some of us have been on their bikes and it is good!
  • Zynthian can interface with analogue modules via its CV interface module or MIDI/CV interfaces - the latter was demonstrated.
  • Is the route out of lock-down to tell the population that vaccines are available then go back to normal?
  • Is the Raspberry Pi a complete failure? Of course not! It delivers on many levels including its core objective of education although maybe not as prolific as it could be.
  • Can a Zynthian connect directly to a Zynth Club Jitsi meeting? (Where is @Baggypants when you need him?)
  • Kraftwerk at Bluedot, Joddrel Bank showed more than a passing resemblance to MAMIL.
  • Projects can fail on the throw of a dice with the turn of public opinion - look at FreeNode!
  • There was a diversion into the mythical Robert Johnson / Devil story and its impact on Bob Dylan which led onto weighing up whose violin solo was actually better down in Georgia - you son of a gun.
  • …but what do you enjoy more? Aled Jones or Dio?
  • There is The Devil’s Chord but God Gave Rock And Roll To You
  • Toyah and Wyleu, sitting in a tree…
  • Having given up the wait for a Zynthian Radio plugin the great ungrateful / unworthy is really liking his modular radio.
  • You can smash at music until something good comes out, like The Monkeys!
  • Touch typing is a skill we should all learn - it allows a different outlook and input.
  • A new superhero was discovered and his weakness? His little fingers.
  • Zynth Club descended into Film Club with discussion and lists of good and bad films including:
    • Ice Road (very bad)
    • Gnomeo and Julliet (even worse, even though it featured the prince of darkness)
    • Sound of Thunder
    • Lion in Winter (1968)
    • Chariots of Fire
    • Bo Burnham: Inside
  • The Marmite of Kevin Costner? Apparently Yellowstone is quite good.
  • What defines a musical? Doe Jeff Wayne’s War Of The Worlds qualify? (Answer is YES!)
  • Star Wars vs Star Trek
  • We wandered back towards music with our praise of Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou
  • Everything is interconnected, except wyleu
  • Are 1000 oscillators a few too many?
  • Is Leonard Cohen deserving of the awe some hold him in? He did write some good songs, even if you don’t like his singing
  • When is a key change acceptable? Some say NEVER!!!
  • Peter Green vs Lindsey Buckingham - Finger picking good
  • Music, smells and tastes can take you to a moment in time. Music may be of a location, a time, a mood.
  • Electric / Hydrogen cars and their legacy
  • Zynthian doesn’t have a sampler, only a sample player
  • Glitch 2 is a cute idea - sequencing / looping the effects applied to a linear audio stream. Similar offering on iOS

And the Academy Award for best dressed participant goes to…

4 Likes

@wyleu

John: A knife! He’s got a knife!

Eleanor of Aquitaine: Of course he has a knife, he always has a knife, we all have knives! It’s 1183 and we’re barbarians!

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: B.Oops

Must be about that time …

One would have thought so…

How about 19:00 UTC on Monday 9th August 2021?

That is:

20:00 (8pm) UK
21:00 (9pm) Central Europe (France, Spain, Germany, etc.)
05:00 (5am 10th August) Sydney Australia
12:00 (noon) San Fransisco
13:00 (1pm) Salt Lake
14:00 (2pm) Dallas
15:00 (3pm) New York

2 Likes

Works for me.

Me as well

Perhaps the Algorave is what is next :>

There was a meeting last night which resembled a gathering of the UK Service Station Appreciation Society. Our American cousins looked on with equal measures of disbelief and disinterest whilst the Australian delegate reconsidered his decision to get out of bed. In response to recognition that this niche subject might be alienating some members, those involved started to show pictures of their favourite motorway stops. Someone had to do something and it stunned those present when it was suggested that Zynthian be discussed. What is this club actually about?

As well as the Watford Gap, these (and other) subjects were discussed:

• Probing – best wishes to our friend who goes under the surgeon’s scalpel today
  • We look forward to hearing of adventures with integrating the Behringer XR18 with Zynthian
  • Remember to check for voltage switches (110/220V) on mains powered equipment – we don’t want e-bike chargers from USA goes bang in Europe!
  • Another notch was added to @MrBroccoli’s count of destroyed screens – did he check the voltage?
  • When next in Crewe (England) do check out the Ice Cream Van Museum
  • Anna Friel’s Brookside character was remembered due to work on a new Patio
  • Why is a C7 connector not called a C8?
  • Is mechanical music radio The Happiest Music on Earth? I listened for a while and learned that rats’ intestines are used in the construction of some mechanical musical instruments. Every day is a school day!
  • What tune does your door bell sound and should it involve a Zynthian?
  • When you cross sudoku with acoustic treatment on a budget
  • Mamby pamby USA 110V - you can lick that! ***
  • The film critic corner cast scorn on the lack of variety in recent cinematic releases.
  • When does the transition from “with it” to “past it” occur?
  • Where do you do your mixing? On a bike in Nottingham?
  • MOD-UI - do we need it when Zynthian core does the same thing? It is sexy and pretty and can bring in new users but ultimately seems to be relegated to an unused curiosity.
  • There was discussion on whether it would be advantageous to pause feature enhancements to make the core more consistent, reliable, etc.
  • A moot was mooted for Sandbach later this year. Watch out for updates and invites from @wyleu
  • Some weirdo suggested that using integer values of millisecond latency might be advantageous.
  • Some music sucks and some blows and some does both.
  • Add shaving foam to your concrete to form Aircrete and make lightweight structures.
Minutes must exist
Zynthian
Depends on these things

*** Do not lick anything electrical - ever!

4 Likes

You didn’t mention the crazy lighting effects !!

I thought that was my aging eyes!

We’ll get your tartan rug fluffed up!

In other news the latency on my UMA 1820 is now very much more acceptable than last time I tried it. I.e. I can add a gain unit to import the audio and can move the mix control from both extremes without the 1/4 of a second I was getting before…

Strange but comforting.

Have you moved closer to the speakers? Does this mean I don’t have to test latency on mine?

Seems much more acceptable than I remember it was last time. I’ll try a couple of audio overdubs to see how it goes.

2 Likes

When you gonna ring it, when you gonna ring it?

I mentioned I had ordered a composite video (and stereo audio and s-video) USB capture device but didn’t know if it would work with Linux. It does! Plugged it into my netbook and it just worked! Plugged it into a fresh install of Raspbian Lite and it just worked! I was able to repurpose two old composite video cameras and get a home security system working in no time. (motion is the software available from the repository which I remember using with these cameras about 20 years ago! And it just works!)

But still the door bell doesn’t ring!

1 Like

I have added a footnote to the meeting notes but for those who don’t revisit those on a daily basis (like you should) please note:

DO NOT LICK ANYTHING ELECTRICAL - EVER

The comment was mildly amusing within context but I don’t want anyone doing themselves injury by taking it as advise for a life choice.

1 Like

I’ve listend to it for years and didn’t know this.

When you press the button does it email you a crash dump?

2 Likes