Zynth club. .. There's just one rule in Zynth club

Not that I’d be a native speaker, nor mastering myself :joy:

Well then, little off-topic for a moment:
First public gig appearance of my Zynthian done and went incredibly well. :star_struck: :star_struck:

(please excuse the not-so-sharp pictures…)

Twas a small jam-session-like gig of a Funk collective in a pub. Audience was far from as small as we had thought it would be in corona times, great atmosphere as well.
The Zynthian was responsible for providing a solid Hammond organ, which it did perfectly. I mean, I have loved setBfree for almost ten years now, but almost never heard it that loudly. Often a sound heard way more loudly brings its minor flaws and insecurities more to detailed attention. Not for this organ, rather this is just powerful thrill.
I also had prepared for delivering some leadsynth soloing, but it didn’t quite fit anywhere on yesterday’s set. Next week, I suppose.
Yeah, you reading correctly: Same thing once again next tuesday night…

There also happened some nice little things on the side:

• Some people asked about this little box, especially one guitarist seemed quite interested (having a rather large pedalboard of analog effects on the floor himself). Of course I didn’t contain myself spreading the word about Zynthian.
  • The drummer and band leader had claimed the piano seat for himself before I arrived, so a pub chair had to do the job. But he bursted into laughter when I completely ignored the acoustic piano at the side of the stage and - rather than using it as an instrument - I placed a midi keyboard, the Zynthian and some quirky cable salad on top. :grin:

So, in case my appreciation hasn’t become clear to this point: This setup really proved itself nicely working and very well sounding. Will definitely do it again lots of times like this!

11 Likes

@freeKey Now you have mastered the Zynthian, I look forward to the live streaming of your next gig :>

3 Likes

Saw this, figured you could use it

@freeKey, you HAVE to contribute with a video playing hammond (setBfree) in one of this jams… this is a big:

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I think that we can forgive @freeKey this time for not recording at a first event after lockdown when he was still preparing snapshots and learning how to use subsnaphots into the early hours of the morning of the gig :sleeping: . He even managed to cope with bugs (since resolved) but next time… there will be no excuses accepted :wink:.

2 Likes

@riban You are too generous :rofl:
And thx again for all your help with the preparations!

@jofemodo This honour :pray: I’d really like to, let’s see what will be possible.

Btw: In the meantime we got booked for a proper gig at the end of september in the same location :grin:

1 Like

Hi @freekey!

What are you using for setBfree overdrive? The integrated overdrive is far from good and i would like to know if you tested some of the available overdrive plugins with setBfree …

The problem of using an external overdrive is that it would be located after the rotary in the FX chain … but you can improve this by not using the integrated rotary and add it as a separated plugin, that is also available (same code!), after the overdrive.

Regards,

Nothing yet, I play it clean for now. But yes, I have on my list to try exactly what you describe, we also discussed it at one of the club meetings.

Im still very excited at the thought that @jofemodo might join us one evening for a beer and a chat. :joy::+1:

5 Likes

Hey All. Is zynthian club on this week?

I don’t think so. I’m pretty tired, flat out with work, house renovation and other stuff.

its too hot for club

On the basis that it is likely to be cooler and wetter here in old Blighty I proposes we grab our preferred beverages and dial in for another mind-numbing exchange of pleasantries on Sunday 16th August 2020 at 19:00 UTC. @ronsum start your countdown…

1 Like

The countdown is set: https://ronfsum.wixsite.com/zynthclub

2 Likes

Beautiful verses… a new song on the way ?

1 Like

Interesting synth with source code and binaries,
BespokeSynth

Late wrapup of last tuesday’s gig…

I’m afraid this is actually the only short insight (better say inhear?) I am able to show you. People accidentally recorded more of my piano stuff, nearly no organ or synth stuff. Next time, I guess.

Speaking of synth: My very first public synth solo successfully done. Using OBXD.
It turned out LOUDLY, people later told things like “oh that was LOUD and painful, but actually awesome kind of pain”. Well :rofl: I realised there was gain, I mean, GAIN in my snapshots. Next time less pain, even more squeak. There was lots of squeak in that sound. So much fun.

Next gig with them: End of September.
I’ll start a list protocolling how often someone asks if I already sampled that Rhodes into the Zynthian. :eyes:
The wooden organ case deserves some love til then, too…

4 Likes

So, what happened last night?

• As mentioned above, @freekey told us about his venture to out-perform Disaster Area
  • @BrainStormer acted like the naught kid in class and spent most of the time getting Zynthian to simultaneously display on an internal and external monitor but has a way to go before populating all these screens
  • Buttons were discussed
  • @BrainStormer demonstrated BespokeSynth
    @Baggypants tempted us with tails of the choice of analogue or digital control of an 8 voice analogue synth
  • When will the Behringer UB-XA land and will it be as heavy as the Oberheim it mimics?
  • What is a Korg Poly 800 worth and is it really worth that?
  • Sysex can be challenging but some of us master it
  • Ensure you use the right kind of woodstain and test before application
  • Who needs a Monotron* if you have got a Zynthian? (* Insert almost any synth you like)
  • 1TB uSD cards for £40 - when did that happen?
  • Should Zynthian users customise their rigs?
  • Python :roll_eyes: could control your Launchpad
  • There may have been a Zynthian shipping disaster somewhere in the Indian Ocean
  • @ronsum demonstrated his latest project and again I forgot to note down its name, it begins with ‘X’ or ‘ex’…
  • Kitchen update but no gardening - maybe due to absent members - we missed you
  • Play suspended due to lightning storms and did not resume
5 Likes