Zynthian mini

If I understand you correctly, you want to connect rpi usb-c port used for powering rpi and your computer so that zynthian would be recognised as a midi device on the computer. Hm, I don’t think that it is possible. I have not tried that. Also you will need to power rpi with some other source - I don’t think that computer’s usb port can supply enough current to rpi to work properly.

Why can’t you just use zynthian midi out connector. If you don’t have midi in on your computer you can find cables that convert midi out connector to usb.

I understand that Pi5 USB-C connector is for power only in normal use case.

The 4 USB ports act as “host” => for connecting all your external USB Midi gears .

On V5, the USB-C is configured in “gadget” mode so that Zynthian can be recognized by a connected PC with this link as an USB-midi device ( <=> like a midi keyboard for example ).

But to achieve this, v5 use an alternate power source : through the GPIOs. This will “liberate” (or so) the USB-C port si it can be used in gadget mode.
Some tweakings in config.txt are needed too.

No tweaks required. Zynthian has supported USB MIDI OTG through type-c connector for some time. V5 makes it available through dedicated type-b socket. V4 requires a special y-lead.

1 Like

OK, good To know. But can the gadget mode (=OTG) be used with an USB-C power suplly pluged in RPi5 ?

1 Like

Yes but you need to access both power and USB hence a special y-lead

On mini you can supply power also through HAT 5V pins.

Ok. Thank you @riban for clarification.

So does anyone have a lead on a good source for the proper screen for the Mini V2? I got the Waveshare screen and the mounts for it don’t line up with the Mini holes at all. It looks like the screen I need is designed for the Pi to be mounted “vertically” (assuming landscape) so that the USB ports are on the top or bottom of the display, but all the ones I can find are assuming a “horizontal” mount where the USB ports will be to the left or right of the screen.

At the very least a part number I can use for reference? I also bought the one from AliExpress linked off the build page and it seems to be the exact same problem.

It is a common 5” dsi display that you can find from many different sources on AliExpress. Not all have the same screw posts positions but most do. Just check that you are ordering correct one. Here is the dimensions of screen and its’ posts that mini pcb is based on

2 Likes

They must changed the product that they are selling. I can see now that they are advertising different dimensions.

I have just searched AliExpress for “ 5” dsi display” and the first result is correct display with proper screw dimensions:

£20.69 | DSI Display Raspberry Pi 5 Inch MIPI 800X480 TFT IPS Capacitive Touch Screen 5" LCD Monitor Support Raspbian/Ubuntu/Kali/Win10

Got it built OK after a few false starts of having the wrong components. Great build and a ton of fun to put together! Thank you

I’ve also been fiddling with it a bit and one thing that’s annoyed me is that my encoders appear to be reversed as to what I’d expect? On the mixer screen turning clockwise reduces the volume of the track and anticlockwise increases it. Any quick and easy way to reverse this? I’ve been poking around in the “Wiring” configuration but can’t seem to find a good way to do this.

You just need To invert the numbers that are in pin À field (or so I do not have my Zynthian close to me right now) with the ones in pin B field and vice versa.

Not seeing that under the wiring option since I have “Mini V2” selected. If I go “Custom” then I get those options, but they are empty. I tried to faff around with the custom a bit but it just stopped everything else working LOL.

Are you using the Mini V2 PCB? It sound like the pins are reversed on the encoders.

I am. Used the PCB linked from here and pretty much got most of the components from the links on the Wiki.

It looks like that there are two type of encoders. You are not the only one having issue with reverse encoders pins.

Solution is simple. First make sure that you have already set kit to mini_v2 and that everything works apart from reversed encoders. Then you set kit to custom and change wiring to v5. Save and restart.

4 Likes

Wonderful!

Odd fix but it did the trick. Thank you so much.

It is not that odd. When designing mini I wanted wiring to be the same as v5 so that the same zyncoder driver can be used. This was not easy task due to mini’s different button layout and through hole mpc23017 footprint that required very different pcb routing. I thought that I managed to do that and then discovered that encoders that I have are all reversed when using v5 wiring. Hence I created mini v2 zyncoder driver to support them thinking that I made mistake when copying v5 wiring. My encoders are all no name from AliExpress purchased from different sellers. Some people that purchased encoders from reputable sources reported that mini v2 wiring is reversed which prompted me to conclusion that my AliExpress encoders are not following spec and have reversed a and b pins and my pcb has the same wiring as v5 as I originally planned. At the end, with both v5 and mini v2 wiring, we support whatever encode people find.

4 Likes