Basic Zynthian Box

I want to build a zynthian but cannot afford buying all the parts from the website. What parts and connections would I require if I just want a screen (preferably 3.5 inches), the four basic knobs and a good quality audio output (I already own a raspberry pi). Thanks in regards

1 Like

Hi, welcome

you can try it just with your pi and a hdmi screen, see here

cheers

Thanks for the quick response, Im sorry if my title was misleading but Ive already tried that and am now looking for a more portable solution. Also the raspberry pi audio isn’t great as it keeps cutting out randomly.

they are a bunch of solutions for better sound quality:

• usb sound devices
  • rpi hats (look for pcm5102 or pcm5122 on some chinese website)

also be carrefull regarding your power supply and your cable, especially if you want to plug some midi devices that should be powered by the raspberry .

Weak power can bring cracks and randoms cuts (xruns)

Ok sweet. How about the dial knobs, would I be better buying it off the offical zynthian store? I also noticed that it connects to the zynthian screen directly so would I have to purchase that aswell? thanks

once again, they are a bunch of solutions, but you’re getting away from the bare minimal !!!

• rpi + hdmi display + mouse is enough for testing
  • more features and ease of use depends on what you’re able to tinker

Sorry the title was misleading ill change that

no pb, They are plenty of options in the zynthian shop, you just have to define what features you want and what you consider to be doable regarding your tinkering skills.

maybe the succes case thread could give you some inspiration

Also, feel free to ask some more questions, they are nice persons around here that would be glad to help.

with the encoder knobs, could I get them to work by just connecting them directly to zynscreen display v1.4 and then to the raspberry pi? Or would I need to get the all in one circuit?

The enocders connect to the screen which in turn connects to the Raspberry Pi. That gives you a touchscreen, encoders with builtin push buttons and the four rubber push buttons (S1-S4). The touchscreen isn’t brilliant - it is resistive and a bit spongy so works best with the supplied plastic stylus.

The extra expansion board provides interface to the physical 5-pin MIDI connectors. It also provides the ability to expand digital and analogue i/o further by adding more modules. If you don’t need 5-pin MIDI or the extra i/o interfacing then you don’t need that expansion board.

Thank you for the response!

I build a Zynthian box using a touchscreen for rpi that cost 22€ and works great you have to tweake it but in this forum i found the solution.
I think that if you want to save money le best solution is to use with a RPI screentouch with a keyboard. For the output the headphone out works fine. This is a very basic cheap solution.

2 Likes

There is of course a hidden cost … :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Hi, I had the same goal as you, except that I didn’t intend to have physical knobs in the first place, so I went for a nicer touchscreen, then I realized the UI wasn’t so practical without knobs so I added encoders, which led to something similar to what you are looking for. I haven’t completely finished assembling it but the screen works fine, the audio board should make sound soon, and the one encoder I have hooked up so far works well too (so the 3 other ones should as well). Plus you don’t even need to solder anything!

Here are the parts:

If you already have the Pi + power supply + SD card, this should cost you no more than 70 extra euros to get you Zynthian running (and probably down to 50 if you go for a cheap 3.5 resistive touchscreen).

The design isn’t fully built and therefore tested, but I’m hopeful it’s gonna work fine. Quite busy these days but when I find a moment I’ll try to finish it and post something more detailed.

2 Likes

Regarding hardware, they are a lot of options that are supported by zynthianOS and that Can fits differents needs … And this is extra cool. The most difficult is in my opinion to find/build a nice enclosure.

1 Like

I’ve made a pretty budget successful build with $5 spi screen (although it doesn’t have touch capability), $5 i2s soundcard (PCM5102), and arduino pro micro (about $4) to connect encoders. Kudos to @riban, who helped a lot with making arduino work with encoders, here’s a post on how to make it work.

1 Like